Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 11 May 2012 (Friday) 07:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1DmarkII - No longer serviced by Canon

llazlok
228 posts
Joined Jul 2009

May 11, 2012 07:35 |  #1

Hello all,

I did a quick search and didn't see that anyone had posted this information.

I called Canon yesterday regarding sending my 1DmarkII in for repair (shutter failure at only about 35,000 actuations).

I was told as of February 2012, Canon is no longer servicing the 1DmarkII. Apparently, they still will service the 1DmarkIIn, and of course the 1DsmarkII.

Aside from KEH, who I already called, does anyone have any suggestions where I could send for repair? Let me know.

Thanks,

Mike

sponsored links
-jq-
76 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2011

May 11, 2012 08:58 |  #2

Call again. I just got my 1D2 fixed through CPS.

www.joelquimby.com (external link)

llazlok
THREAD ­ STARTER
228 posts
Joined Jul 2009

May 11, 2012 09:25 as a reply to  @ -jq-'s post |  #3

I called New Jersey and also Irvine, CA and both checked and read the exact same text to me "As of February 2012...."

Maybe there's an exception if you're a CPS member.

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,744 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 11, 2012 09:46 |  #4

No more service. There was a thread couple of weeks ago. Someone mentioned one/two places where you can get it fixed if needed.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

avan
512 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 11, 2012 09:50 |  #5

The thread is here: https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1166411

You can have it repair where they have spare part in stock. Maybe Canon can guide you as they know where is the stock.

1DMK4, T6s, 100-400mmL IS II, 16-35mm f4, 100mm macro
[www.pbase.com/jeelee/g​alleries (external link)

Virto
Goldmember
1,647 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 11, 2012 10:37 |  #6

Not really surprising, honestly. The 1D2 is pretty old tech, these days. Since the original 1D was phased out of repair several years ago, it was strongly assumed that this was coming.

Any competent repair shop should be able to handle the job, and parts are still available on eBay, but as part supplies dry up, the job will steadily become more and more expensive.

Kelly - EOS 5D - EOS 40D - Rebel XS - EOS 10D - EOS 1D - SX230 - AE-1 - OM-1n - Minolta Himatic7 - EOS-1N
ABR800 - Several flashes, remote triggers, stands, too many and yet not enough lenses

JackLiu
570 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 11, 2012 11:05 |  #7

What a shame. Even though the 1DM2 is old technology, it's still a formidable dslr.

"Love life and life will love you back. Love people and they will love you back." Arthur Rubinstein.

Virto
Goldmember
1,647 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 11, 2012 11:50 |  #8

JackLiu wrote in post #14416005 (external link)
What a shame. Even though the 1DM2 is old technology, it's still a formidable dslr.

No doubt, but Canon is in business to make money. Manufacturing spares for an aging camera probably costs more than it's worth, and hey, if we can't fix it anymore, you can always upgrade, right?

Any Canon DSLR, from the D30 to the 5D3 is a formidable camera, but like every other technology, things are phased out and replaced.

I don't think this should discourage anyone from buying a 1D2, honestly, because they're generally pretty solid cameras. If anything, it might lower prices a bit and put them into the hands of people that would be very happy to have them.

Kelly - EOS 5D - EOS 40D - Rebel XS - EOS 10D - EOS 1D - SX230 - AE-1 - OM-1n - Minolta Himatic7 - EOS-1N
ABR800 - Several flashes, remote triggers, stands, too many and yet not enough lenses

sponsored links

1,267 views & 0 likes for this thread
1DmarkII - No longer serviced by Canon
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.