Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 13 May 2012 (Sunday) 13:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Using a 4800w/s Fresnel on Location

aroundlsu
Goldmember
1,430 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2009

May 13, 2012 13:06 |  #1

I have been wishing to add a large fresnel source to my kit for a few years. I use them in movie and video production all the time and find the focused beam to be more versatile and controllable then the parabolic and bare bulb type lights we are used to as photographers. Unfortunately, few options exist. Several places make attachments that you can use to convert a regular studio strobe to a fresnel but they weren't really what I use looking for. First of all, my kit was already limited to just three lights so adding a fresnel attachment wouldn't really add anything except an accessory. Plus my Profoto D1 lights are only 500w/s which may seem like a lot but after you add the fresnel, some gels, maybe a half scrim, then try to flood it on a source 30 meters away, well it's hopeless underpowered.

Then I found this thing:

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/B9sjA.jpg

It's a Desisti "Leonardo" 5k fresnel that they convert to a 4800w/s Speedotron globe. It even has a 300w modeling light. It's a true focusing fresnel that can be spotted or flooded out. At full power it puts out a huge amount of light. I would say it's comparable to the largest 18K HMI lights we use on movie sets. However, it's controllable. Right at the ballast I can turn it down three stops. If that's not enough I can add a double scrim to bring it down another stop or even a "double double" for two stops. However, -3 at the ballast is pretty much the sweet spot to simulate sunlight for single portraits outside as we are about to see.

So I had a shoot for a magazine with this very talented young actress named Quvenzhane Wallis. She is in a movie called Beasts of the Southern Wild. You can see the trailer here:
http://trailers.apple.​com …/beastsofthesou​thernwild/ (external link)

In the movie she plays a tough girl so that's sort of the look I had in mind for the photoshoot. In a studio in New Orleans we did a typical cover photo shoot with soft lighting then went outside and a location behind the studio.

It had been raining all day so it was a very dreary overcast day. I set the 5k up and raked it across the brickwall. Once everything was metered just right I invited the actress out and we started shooting.

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/VCRKx.jpg

The goal was to give the editors and graphic designers options to layout text on two page spread so I left plenty of negative space for them to play with.

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/e5W7w.jpg
IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/CrLiM.jpg
IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/nOrJv.jpg
IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/SQein.jpg

I found the light to be very pleasing. After getting a Wein low voltage adapter it trigger off my Profoto Air system perfectly. Out of several hundred shots there was exactly one where the light didn't fire and I suspect that's because I went a little too fast. It has about a one second recharge time at -3 power.

Anyway, that's my report. Feel free to ask any questions.

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/6jWdO.jpg

Teddy Smith, SOC
IATSE Local 600 Cinematographer

sponsored links
Foodguy
Goldmember
1,324 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 13, 2012 14:53 |  #2

Nice job, really like the crispness of a fresnel. As I mentioned in the other thread, I have 3 fresnels from the original Bardwell McAlsister castings. 2-8" and 1-10" (which is also 4800w/s).

I did a location catalog shoot a few years ago. Traveled to the southern hemisphere for weather purposes. When we got there, it rained virtually every day. :( I was very glad that I'd shipped the fresnels as I was able to make it look like the sun was shining! :lol:

My answer for most photography questions: "it depends...'

K.C.
319 posts
Joined Jun 2010

May 13, 2012 14:56 |  #3

You have the quintessential set up for using a fresnel. You're lighting dark skin where highlights define shape, have a textured background that's easily revealed with directional light and your client is used to seeing the subject lit this way on set. What more could you ask for.

Glad I was able to point out how to trigger that Speedo with the AIR receiver. But you must be dialing that thing way down in most shots.

Any examples of just the opposite ?

Fair skin, gentle fall off and bokeh ?

aroundlsu
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,430 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 13, 2012 15:03 |  #4

K.C. wrote in post #14425693 (external link)
You have the quintessential set up for using a fresnel. You're lighting dark skin where highlights define shape, have a textured background that's easily revealed with directional light and your client is used to seeing the subject lit this way on set. What more could you ask for.

Glad I was able to point out how to trigger that Speedo with the AIR receiver. But you must be dialing that thing way down in most shots.

Any examples of just the opposite ?

Fair skin, gentle fall off and bokeh ?

Thanks for the tip on the trigger. I really didn't think it was going to work but was relieved when it did!

I have another shoot on Tuesday with a fair skinned fashion model so I will have some samples from that next week. I don't really know the setup for that except we will be shooting in a warehouse. My dream would be if the warehouse had a large window I could shoot this thing through to make a shaft of light for the model.

Teddy Smith, SOC

c2thew
Goldmember
3,929 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 13, 2012 16:14 as a reply to  @ aroundlsu's post |  #5

so the fresnel is a strobe? My understanding of fresnel lights are that they are continuous light systems which would require a huge battery pack to power on location.

Flickr (external link) |Gear|The-Digital-Picture (external link)|The $6 mic | MAGIC LANTERN (external link) | Welding Filter
Go Support Magic Lantern 2.3!!

aroundlsu
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,430 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 13, 2012 16:25 |  #6

c2thew wrote in post #14426006 (external link)
so the fresnel is a strobe? My understanding of fresnel lights are that they are continuous light systems which would require a huge battery pack to power on location.

A fresnel is a lens. They are typically used on continuous light sources such as tungsten and HMI lamps. However, this one has been modified at the factory from a continuous 5k tungsten into a 4800w/s strobe. It runs off of a standard 15amp 120v circuit.

Teddy Smith, SOC

K.C.
319 posts
Joined Jun 2010

May 13, 2012 19:18 |  #7

Desisti isn't modifying them at the factory in Italy. The ones we see here are all converted by Flash Clinic in New York.

Here's the flash tube in mine. It's 4800WS but wired for Comet packs.

IMAGE: http://merithost.net/dtube.JPG
IMAGE: http://merithost.net/dtube2.JPG

c2thew
Goldmember
3,929 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 14, 2012 02:56 |  #8

I see. Pretty nifty of having a fresnel lens as a spotlight and 4800w/s of power to boot.

Flickr (external link) |Gear|The-Digital-Picture (external link)|The $6 mic | MAGIC LANTERN (external link) | Welding Filter
Go Support Magic Lantern 2.3!!

Csae
Goldmember
3,350 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 14, 2012 03:33 |  #9

Ok, i'm gonna have to be the one to ask...

How much, are these running for? Just the modded fresnel.

Feel free to call me Case.
CasePhoto.ca (external link) - FanPage (external link)
-Montreal based Photography.

Cathpah
Goldmember
4,259 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 14, 2012 03:35 |  #10

Wow....WANT.

Architecture (external link) | Fashion + Beauty (external link) | Travel (external link) | Mayhem (external link) | Instagram (external link)
tools of the trade
My name is Jeff, and I'm addicted to shadows in fashion and brights in architecture. "Hiiiiii Jeff."

K.C.
319 posts
Joined Jun 2010

May 14, 2012 04:45 |  #11

Csae wrote in post #14428166 (external link)
Ok, i'm gonna have to be the one to ask...

How much, are these running for? Just the modded fresnel.

You can order one from Speedotron for $1600.

http://www.speedotron.​com …ine/black_light​_units/215 (external link)

K.C.
319 posts
Joined Jun 2010

May 14, 2012 04:49 |  #12

aroundlsu wrote in post #14425725 (external link)
I don't really know the setup for that except we will be shooting in a warehouse. My dream would be if the warehouse had a large window I could shoot this thing through to make a shaft of light for the model.

Why do you need a window ?

This is a still, yes ?

You can easily create a shaft of light for a few moments while you get the shot.

Rai33
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Joined Jan 2009

May 14, 2012 10:04 |  #13

Very nice

Portfolio - Fashion/Beauty (external link)
Portfolio - Kids (external link)
Model Mayhem (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Csae
Goldmember
3,350 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 14, 2012 17:30 |  #14

K.C. wrote in post #14428301 (external link)
You can order one from Speedotron for $1600.

http://www.speedotron.​com …ine/black_light​_units/215 (external link)

That is really not as bad as i was expecting!

I should keep that bookmarked somewhere.

Feel free to call me Case.
CasePhoto.ca (external link) - FanPage (external link)
-Montreal based Photography.

Rai33
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Joined Jan 2009

May 14, 2012 17:40 |  #15

Csae wrote in post #14431443 (external link)
That is really not as bad as i was expecting!

I should keep that bookmarked somewhere.

Don't forget you'll need a speedo pack also so add another 2.5K or so to the bill (or you could get lucky and find a second hand one for around a quarter of that).

Portfolio - Fashion/Beauty (external link)
Portfolio - Kids (external link)
Model Mayhem (external link)
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

12,847 views & 0 likes for this thread
Using a 4800w/s Fresnel on Location
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.