Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 14 May 2012 (Monday) 04:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D MARK III Sensor Problem Heads Up

Jcr918
148 posts
Joined Aug 2011

May 14, 2012 04:23 |  #1

Seems I am not the only one finding HOT or Dead pixels in there images. HEADS UP

I sent some raw images in to Canon and sure enough they want me to send in my Canon 5D mark III for repair. The rep told me unofficially that there has been a lot of others just noticing this issue. Advised me to wait for the light leak official repair and do it all at once

The problem-

When shooting at a low shutter speed ISO Below 800 or below on a tripod longer then 20 seconds A scatter of hot pixels or dead pixels show up. I have about 8 total all in the same location some a red,green,blue bright some faint. I didn't even notice them until I started doing night time photography. I tried all the methods to re map etc no such luck.

This is unacceptable for a product that cost as much as it does. You might want to test your 5D mark III out. I told my friend who also has a 5D mark III and sure enough he also has a few less then me. The HOT pixels seem to only be visible at a low shutter speed even with a low iso range.

Canon 5D Mark III :) & Canon T3i/24-70mm 2.8/70-200mm IS 2.8 Mark II /2 600ex RT /2 430ex II/

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,580 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

May 14, 2012 05:04 |  #2

This sounds quite normal for long exposures?

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 14, 2012 05:16 |  #3

I've never looked, but I'd not be at all surprised to find my 5D mk2 has a similar number. It's a digital fact of life.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

NChaparro
82 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 14, 2012 07:12 |  #4

What I did is keep my lens cap on, put the lens on manual focus and set the shutter speed for 20 second, and an ISO below 800, and I found these redish, bluish, and white pixels scattered throughout the photo. Is this normal?

Noah
Canon 5D Mk II, 35 1.4L,50 1.4

NChaparro
82 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 14, 2012 07:25 as a reply to  @ NChaparro's post |  #5

I tried it a few more times, and they are always in the same spot

Noah
Canon 5D Mk II, 35 1.4L,50 1.4

Tony ­ Parenti
317 posts
Joined Oct 2010

May 14, 2012 07:31 |  #6

Put the camera into manual sensor clean mode, turn it off and back on. fixed my dead pixel problem.

Canon 5d Mk II & III | Canon 35mm 1.4L| Sigma 35mm 1.5 | Canon 50mm 1.2L | Canon 135mm 2L | Alien Bees B800 Strobe & Giant Soft Box | Canon 580EX II

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 14, 2012 07:39 |  #7

Tony Parenti wrote in post #14428636 (external link)
Put the camera into manual sensor clean mode, turn it off and back on. fixed my dead pixel problem.

Tony,

That just "maps" them out, its not addressing the underlying issue. Which to me is why we have to tolerate what is a dreadful sensor manufacturing problem. The quicker they come up with something cheaper/simpler to replace current sensor tech the better.

Richard

Tony ­ Parenti
317 posts
Joined Oct 2010

May 14, 2012 07:57 |  #8

what do you mean "maps" them out... I did it and I don't have any more hot pixels in my images..

Canon 5d Mk II & III | Canon 35mm 1.4L| Sigma 35mm 1.5 | Canon 50mm 1.2L | Canon 135mm 2L | Alien Bees B800 Strobe & Giant Soft Box | Canon 580EX II

DDL
453 posts
Joined Jan 2009

May 14, 2012 08:13 |  #9

Tony Parenti wrote in post #14428735 (external link)
what do you mean "maps" them out... I did it and I don't have any more hot pixels in my images..

The dead pixels aren't fixed just ignored.

The camera software remembers where the dead pixels were and ignores the information from them doing the interpolation for image color from the live pixels around it.

DDL

GearList

KCY
Unlocked the hidden 117 point AF
7,170 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 14, 2012 08:29 |  #10

Lowner wrote in post #14428344 (external link)
I've never looked, but I'd not be at all surprised to find my 5D mk2 has a similar number. It's a digital fact of life.

Lowner wrote in post #14428657 (external link)
Tony,

That just "maps" them out, its not addressing the underlying issue. Which to me is why we have to tolerate what is a dreadful sensor manufacturing problem. The quicker they come up with something cheaper/simpler to replace current sensor tech the better.

its a digital fact of life and a dreadful sensor manufacturing problem?

NChaparro wrote in post #14428585 (external link)
What I did is keep my lens cap on, put the lens on manual focus and set the shutter speed for 20 second, and an ISO below 800, and I found these redish, bluish, and white pixels scattered throughout the photo. Is this normal?

that sounds quite normal for long exposures, as you are leaving the sensor on for an extended period of time different pixels will warm up at different rates causing noise in the output leading to hot pixels. That would also be why the same pixels light up.

As for a cure, the only one I can think of is long exposure NR.
This can be done in camera, or you could take a lens cap image with the same exposure time to get the noise characteristics of your sensor and subtract in from the image in post.

KC - The Circle of PoTN - Member of the UCPC
My Gear|My Smugmug (external link)|Pong

Tony ­ Parenti
317 posts
Joined Oct 2010

May 14, 2012 08:29 |  #11

My pixels were red.. maybe hot/stuck is different than dead... my bad

Andrew_WOT
Goldmember
1,418 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 14, 2012 10:58 |  #12

Run camera in Live View mode for 5 or so minutes to heat sensor up. Close the lens cap, turn on manual sensor cleaning, switch off after 5 minutes. Most hot pixels should be mapped out. If some remains, try heating sensor in live view more before using manual sensor cleaning.
Keep in mind that firmware update wipes out that info so you would need to remap.

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 14, 2012 11:01 |  #13

KCY wrote in post #14428883 (external link)
its a digital fact of life and a dreadful sensor manufacturing problem?

Yes, why?

Richard

BryantFC
Goldmember
2,606 posts
Joined Jun 2011

May 14, 2012 11:06 |  #14

The only hot/dead pixel i have is on my LCD. It's one single speck of green dot but i learned to live with it. It doesn't come up on photos or videos. If you're that concerned, just send it in to get it fixed. You'll get it back in about a week or so.

Mamiya M645 1000S, Mamiya RZ67, Polaroid SX-70 Alpha, Polaroid 250 Auto Land Camera, Leica M3, Canon Elan II
www.bryantphethmanh.co​m (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/bryantphethmanh​/ (external link)

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

May 14, 2012 11:06 |  #15

Dead pixels are common. They may replace the sensor if there are a group of them in a small area. A few scattered around the whole sensor won't really affect your images.

Gear List

sponsored links

26,745 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D MARK III Sensor Problem Heads Up
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.