Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 14 May 2012 (Monday) 04:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D MARK III Sensor Problem Heads Up

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

May 14, 2012 15:39 |  #31

I'm not really understanding why you can't simply map them or clone them out? As it has been stated before, they are simply going to map them and send the camera back to you. This is a fact of life with digital sensors, it happens.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

sponsored links
tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,482 posts
Joined Apr 2005

May 14, 2012 17:24 |  #32

Lowner wrote in post #14429902 (external link)
Canon are no better or worse than anyone else. There certainly is a problem, but the solution (I believe) lies in a total replacement of the existing sensor technology to make it easier to produce high quality data.

If they could, they would. Some day they will, but ranting won't make it come faster and who's going to stop photographing until then?

Elie / אלי

dailydriver
94 posts
Joined Jun 2010

May 14, 2012 17:55 |  #33

Have you done a manual clean and try ge test again? If it's gone. That's all canon will do to fix it and send it back to you. You will loose time with your camera only.

5D MkIII Gripped | S100
EF 24-70 2.8 L II USM
EF 70-200mm 2.8 L IS USM II
600 EX RT | ST-E3-RT | Yongnou YN560

Jcr918
THREAD ­ STARTER
148 posts
Joined Aug 2011

May 14, 2012 20:06 |  #34

Yes I have done a manual cleaning no luck there stuck. Canon had me do some stuff other stuff as well then re send in images samples. They used a program to map where the pixels where to determine if the pixels where in the same location and they where.

I think there is more going on with my camera then just these pixels too. Like I said it freezing up off and on. Only way to get the camera to respond is to turn it off and then back on . I am just frustrated I might of gotten a bad one. I don't think re mapping the camera will address the issue specially since there are other issues going on too.

Wish me luck

Canon 5D Mark III :) & Canon T3i/24-70mm 2.8/70-200mm IS 2.8 Mark II /2 600ex RT /2 430ex II/

HyperCams
Goldmember
1,462 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Feb 2010

May 14, 2012 22:11 |  #35

Todd Lambert wrote in post #14430146 (external link)
I don't know, I think this is a non-issue unless you're seeing tons of them. It certainly is a fact of life with digital sensors, and especially full frame sensors, and especially with longer exposures.

I've had tons on my 5D2, and not nearly as many on my 5D3, but I expect that as the ambient temperature rises with summer, I will start seeing more and more.

However, I never really see them anyways, as Aperture 3 pretty much identifies them and automatically maps them out upon import of my RAW files. Anything that it misses, which is rare, I an clone out.

I certainly wouldn't send my camera in for this unless it's truly excessive, otherwise all you're going to do is lose your camera for a period of time, and you'll get the camera back with a similar issue re-arrising at some point down the road.

This bw! PERIOD.

This is N.O.R.M.A.L.
If you were an AstroPhotographer, you would be well aware of this NORMAL "issue"(your word, not mine)..

Not bashing, just trying to stress that this is NOT something to stress over ;)

Stop pixel peeping and get out and shoot something!(take an image...or, if you are so inclined, shoot something else.lol) :D

CHeers!

Brent Oliver
HyperCams & Mods (external link)/Oliver Digital Images
My Flickr (external link)
Feedback and Gear

HyperCams
Goldmember
1,462 posts
Joined Feb 2010

May 14, 2012 22:13 |  #36

Higgs Boson wrote in post #14430220 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE

LOVE THIS!!! LOL
(I am so stealing this... :cool: )

Brent Oliver
Feedback and Gear

HyperCams
Goldmember
1,462 posts
Joined Feb 2010

May 14, 2012 22:15 |  #37

Jcr918 wrote in post #14432079 (external link)
Yes I have done a manual cleaning no luck there stuck. Canon had me do some stuff other stuff as well then re send in images samples. They used a program to map where the pixels where to determine if the pixels where in the same location and they where.

I think there is more going on with my camera then just these pixels too. Like I said it freezing up off and on. Only way to get the camera to respond is to turn it off and then back on . I am just frustrated I might of gotten a bad one. I don't think re mapping the camera will address the issue specially since there are other issues going on too.

Wish me luck

If they did not tell you that the amount of hot pixels was excessive, or that they could not map them out, then your camera is(MOST LIKELY) just fine...
As for your other issues, not sure...sorry. but I hope they/you get it figured out soon..

Good luck! :)

Brent Oliver
Feedback and Gear

Jcr918
THREAD ­ STARTER
148 posts
Joined Aug 2011

May 14, 2012 22:55 |  #38

Thanks I will keep everyone posted once I get my camera in for repair and get it back. I am waiting on the light leak issue so I can get it all done at once. Light leak is not a issue for me just doing it for re sell reasons

Canon 5D Mark III :) & Canon T3i/24-70mm 2.8/70-200mm IS 2.8 Mark II /2 600ex RT /2 430ex II/

Gregg.Siam
Goldmember
2,383 posts
Joined Jun 2010

May 15, 2012 00:15 as a reply to  @ Jcr918's post |  #39

ah, the full story. :p
I would guess this is probably why they are having you send it in.

5D MKIII | 24-105mm f/4 L| 50mm f/1.8 | 600EX-RT [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=bl​ue][FONT="]|
∞ 500px (external link)
flickr (external link)

bratkinson
643 posts
Joined Dec 2011

May 15, 2012 01:24 |  #40

Why is it everyone is taking pictures of their lens cap? Does everyone get a brand new car and rev engine in neutral to 7500 RPM and hold it there for 10 minutes also?

The last time I took a picture of my lens cap was with my view-finder style Minolta back in the early 70s. Once I bought my first SLR (a Canon AE-1), the lens cap problem was gone!

Get a life, folks!

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." General George S Patton, Jr 1885-1945

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 15, 2012 03:48 |  #41

tzalman wrote in post #14431417 (external link)
If they could, they would. Some day they will, but ranting won't make it come faster and who's going to stop photographing until then?

Elie,

Sorry if I was coming across as ranting. I was simply trying (badly maybe) to make the point that sensor problems of this nature are common. No, more than common, they are everywhere.

The present design and construction of sensors is expensive and someone somewhere, sometime will hopefully have a Eureka moment that offers a solution.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

Jcr918
THREAD ­ STARTER
148 posts
Joined Aug 2011

May 15, 2012 22:51 |  #42

I like how everyone says the sensor issue is common. Yes I know it happens specially at a high ISO but My local camera shop tested the camera and they agree the photos look like crap and canon said that with the iso I was shooting at this issue should not be like it is.

Yes I am having other issues with the camera but my sensor problem is a real problem and it's unacceptable to have more then 10 big dead or hot pixels in my raw image with a low iso. I could handle a few but it looks like someone to a mini pixel shot gun to my images and they won't go away. Also my images seem like they have a lot of noise in them 3200 looks kinda ruff so maybe I have a bad sensor.

I will keep you all posted once the issue has been looked at. I am still waiting on the light leak fix so I can do it all at once.

Buylongterm
Goldmember
2,080 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2010

May 15, 2012 23:33 |  #43

bratkinson wrote in post #14433437 (external link)
Why is it everyone is taking pictures of their lens cap? Does everyone get a brand new car and rev engine in neutral to 7500 RPM and hold it there for 10 minutes also?

The last time I took a picture of my lens cap was with my view-finder style Minolta back in the early 70s. Once I bought my first SLR (a Canon AE-1), the lens cap problem was gone!

Get a life, folks!

bw!

AMEN!

Christian
flickr (external link)
@WerthLiving (Follow me on Instagram)
Canon EOS 5D MK III Gripped | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS MK II |100mm f/2.8L Macro | 24mm-105mm f/4.0L |

PeterWem
259 posts
Joined May 2007

May 16, 2012 00:39 as a reply to  @ Buylongterm's post |  #44

RawTherapee fixes hot pixels perfect. To bad DPP doesn´t do it yet. I think Adobe´s softwares also support automatic removal of hot pixels.
To bad RawTherapee not support 5DIII yet, but I suppose CR2 -> DNG will fix that problem temporaly.

Some pictures (external link)
IR-converterd 1000D, D30, M5, 7D, 6D, 16-35/4L IS, 70-200/2,8L IS II, 300/2,8L IS, 24-105/4L, 85/1,8, 50/1,4, 24/1,4L II, Helios 58/2 - - - - RawTherapee (external link), DPP (external link), Photomatix (external link), Darktable (external link), Luminance HDR (external link), GIMP 2.9.3, Darktable (external link)

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 16, 2012 03:16 |  #45

PeterWem wrote in post #14438761 (external link)
RawTherapee fixes hot pixels perfect. To bad DPP doesn´t do it yet. I think Adobe´s softwares also support automatic removal of hot pixels.
To bad RawTherapee not support 5DIII yet, but I suppose CR2 -> DNG will fix that problem temporaly.

Thats not really the issue. Yes, Canon do offer an in-camera method of mapping out hot and dead photosites, which only goes to show how common it is (its in all our cameras). But a real, long term answer has yet to emerge.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

sponsored links

26,736 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D MARK III Sensor Problem Heads Up
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.