Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 May 2012 (Tuesday) 08:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A-1 squeak - any DIY fix?

nccb
425 posts
Joined Aug 2011

May 15, 2012 08:43 |  #1

Have an old A-1 that I bought off CL and used a few times. Went to sell it on POTN, and the buyer asked about the squeak - I didn't even know about the squeak issue until they asked and I googled. Ignorant me thought it's just how the shutter sounded on this old camera.

Any way to fix on my own? I'm willing to take a risk, as I got it for cheap. And yes, I know I can pay someone else $120 to do it - I may end up doing that eventually if there's no other option. But want to just check POTN experts who have had this camera to see if it was easy or hard to fix....

5D3 | 24-105mm L | 85mm 1.8

sponsored links
Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

May 15, 2012 09:01 |  #2

Google the issue....first result was a YouTube video on how to fix it.

Looked pretty simple, though the guy used a knife to unscrew stuff....I would recommend a screwdriver.

Gear List

nccb
THREAD ­ STARTER
425 posts
Joined Aug 2011

May 15, 2012 09:05 |  #3

Ha - yeah - I saw that video before I posted the thread. I saw the knife and thought the same thing. Was wondering if anyone had any insight as to where exactly to stick the syringe though - he doesn't really go into that (other than in the front side of the camera).

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

May 15, 2012 09:07 |  #4

Try an image search, I thought I saw some diagrams and such, but I don't really know and don't have one of those cameras.

Gear List

nccb
THREAD ­ STARTER
425 posts
Joined Aug 2011

May 15, 2012 09:09 |  #5

Good idea, I'll give that a go. If nothing else, it will be interesting to see the innards of one of these old cameras.

nccb
THREAD ­ STARTER
425 posts
Joined Aug 2011

May 15, 2012 10:12 |  #6

Nice! Found some good stuff here.... complete repair manual.......we'll see how this goes....

http://jameskbeard.com …0&%20Repair%20G​uide_z.pdf (external link)

nccb
THREAD ­ STARTER
425 posts
Joined Aug 2011

May 15, 2012 16:12 |  #7

After actually unscrewing the bottom off the a-1 I have no idea how that guy used a butter knife to unscrew these. Holy cow those are tiny screws. Not sure if I'm gonna do this or get a pro to do it.

Virto
Goldmember
1,647 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 15, 2012 17:42 |  #8

Unless you're going to keep it, if you don't feel comfortable with doing the work yourself, I'd just sell it with the shutter squeak. 120 seems high for this kind of lube/fix.

A-1s don't sell for really high amounts even when pristine, even on KEH. Might not be worth the repair investment to you.

Kelly - EOS 5D - EOS 40D - Rebel XS - EOS 10D - EOS 1D - SX230 - AE-1 - OM-1n - Minolta Himatic7 - EOS-1N
ABR800 - Several flashes, remote triggers, stands, too many and yet not enough lenses

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

May 15, 2012 18:16 |  #9

This is a temporary solution, at best... but it will work for a while.

When the A-series Canons develop the dreaded "shutter squeak", it's actually sort of a cry to "please clean and lube me properly throughout!" It actually isn't related to the shutter, but is a lack of lube in the mirror mechanism that causes the noise.

However, the trick with the syringe works. Let's see if I can do this from memory... Oh wait, I just Googled it and found this illustrated site that explains it at least as well as I could!

http://www.paradesquar​e.ca/canon_fd/a_series​_chirp.htm (external link)

Notice the "mirror governor" in the drawing near the top? That's what you are trying to get a tiny drop or two of oil onto. I use a lightweight oil that's used by clock makers, similar to "sewing machine" oil.

Working through the screw hole with a syringe to lube it, you are doing it blind. You can't see the mechanism you are trying to get the oil onto. It's also possible to oil this from below, after removing the bottom plate of the camera... or from above, after removing the top. From the top, I think you can see some of the mechanism, but you have to do a lot of disassembly. Through the hole is the quickest and easiest. I've never tried it from the bottom, learned to do it through the screw hole and probably have done this quick fix on a couple dozen A series camera over the years.

If you get too much lube in there, it can run into other areas you don't want it... onto the mirror or shutter or up into the pentaprism. Only one or two little droplets are needed. I suggest practicing with the syringe outside the camera first, to see how much oil is pushed out with any particular amount of pressure on the plunger.

But if the camera is squealing like that, it's really due for a proper, complete CLA or "Clean Lube Adjust". If you were quoted $120 for the fix, that's actually a full CLA, in which they would disassemble, clean thoroughly inside and out, lubricate mechanisms throughout the camera, check shutter accuracy and adjust if needed, check the metering system and adjust if necessary, replace light seals in the mirror box and around the film door, possibly other places (varies in different camera models). You might be able to get this done for a little less than $120 if you shop around, but that's actually about what I'd expect locally. After a CLA, the camera should be ready to shoot for another 25 or 30 years or so. So that works out to, what, $4 or $5 a year maintenance? Really not bad, when you think of it that way.

A freshly CLAed camera will usually bring a higher price from a knowledgeable buyer... but probably not enough to recoup both the purchase price and cost of the CLA. About the top price I've seen for an A-1 in good condition is $100 or a little more. But I really haven't been tracking prices of them lately.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

nccb
THREAD ­ STARTER
425 posts
Joined Aug 2011

May 15, 2012 19:05 |  #10

Found a guy in Kansas, John Titterington, who will do the works for $87 (includes shipping), and based on some other boards, he does impeccable work. Maybe I'll give him a shot.

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 15, 2012 20:31 |  #11

Ahhh...the fabled Canon sneeze...

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

sponsored links

5,711 views & 0 likes for this thread
A-1 squeak - any DIY fix?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.