Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 15 May 2012 (Tuesday) 23:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why does everyone say nice photos?

ajaffe
788 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 15, 2012 23:24 |  #1

Like the title says, why is the increasing trend in the sports section post "Nice photos" or "Excellent picture" or "Great set" when the reality is far from it? I for one hope that if I ever post a weak photo, people tell me that is sucks so that I can learn and grow from it instead of taking more weak photos thinking I am doing well.

Further, why is it that so many people do not mention "why" it is a great photo or great set?

Just some thoughts, time to hop off my soap box.

www.aaronsjaffe.com (external link)

sponsored links
primoz
POTN Sports Photographer of the year 2005
2,532 posts
Joined Dec 2004

May 16, 2012 01:43 |  #2

In today's world, saying truth which might hurt someone is worse thing you can do. So nowadays being nice (and not honest) is somehow must, and everyone have feeling, they need to compliment someone just that he or she might not be offended. On top of that, A LOT of people take it personal and feel offended when someone finally tells them truth and tells them their photo(s) suck. That's main reason, why I don't bother anymore commenting. Because when I did comment, I was honest, and I was actually looking for flaws. Not because I would want to offend someone, but because I think pointing out mistakes is way to learn something new. And in my mind, if you put photo out there for comment, you should be able to accept critique which might be different then just a praise.
But a lot, if not most, of people are not ready for that. So instead of having few 100 people as enemies (I have too many because of my non-critique related comments already :lol: ), I rather quit commenting. I am who I am, and it's just not me, to tell "whoa great photo" to every crap I see.

PhotoSI (external link) | Latest sport photos (external link)http://www.photo.si (external link)

JJD.Photography
Goldmember
1,445 posts
Joined Apr 2005

May 16, 2012 02:07 as a reply to  @ primoz's post |  #3

I am guilty of this when commenting on flickr, BUT when I come across an extraordinary photo I usually leave a more detailed comment along with making it a favorite and even a note on the picture.

If the pic is far from good, I will not comment just to comment!

His And Her Photographs (external link)
flickr (external link)

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 16, 2012 10:48 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

I only comment when the photo is really, really good. Suckie photos would not get a comment from me. Sometimes, I had to comment because the photos bother me a lot....because they are about the same subjects I am passionate about. The idea if shooting the back of a peleton can tell a story of a bike race versus face times with emotions and expressions at the front...:)

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

May 16, 2012 10:58 |  #5

ajaffe wrote in post #14438517 (external link)
Like the title says, why is the increasing trend in the sports section post "Nice photos" or "Excellent picture" or "Great set" when the reality is far from it? I for one hope that if I ever post a weak photo, people tell me that is sucks so that I can learn and grow from it instead of taking more weak photos thinking I am doing well.

Further, why is it that so many people do not mention "why" it is a great photo or great set?

Just some thoughts, time to hop off my soap box.

It's not just the sport section. People do this everywhere and it's very annoying. The worst thing IMO that you could do to a budding photographer is lie to them and tell them their shots are excellent when they are clearly not.

Gear List

Miki ­ G
Goldmember
1,131 posts
Joined Feb 2011

May 16, 2012 12:36 |  #6

Perhaps the photos are "Nice", "Great" or "Excellent" in the viewers opinion. We all look for & see different things which appeal or not when we view a photograph. We also have our own value systems which will influence how we judge things. A technically perfect photo is not necessarily a great photo. Likewise, a poorly exposed or composed photograph isn't necessarily a bad photograph. It could be appealing from an artistic viewpoint, for example. Personally, I find a lot of sport photography boring, but I am not involved in sport, which is why most of these photos don't appeal to me. That's not to say that the photos are not "Nice", "Excellent" or "Great". We are all entitled to express our opinions, but that doesn't mean that our opinion is the correct one or the only one that counts.

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 16, 2012 13:40 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

Miki G wrote in post #14440923 (external link)
Perhaps the photos are "Nice", "Great" or "Excellent" in the viewers opinion. We all look for & see different things which appeal or not when we view a photograph. We also have our own value systems which will influence how we judge things. A technically perfect photo is not necessarily a great photo. Likewise, a poorly exposed or composed photograph isn't necessarily a bad photograph. It could be appealing from an artistic viewpoint, for example. Personally, I find a lot of sport photography boring, but I am not involved in sport, which is why most of these photos don't appeal to me. That's not to say that the photos are not "Nice", "Excellent" or "Great". We are all entitled to express our opinions, but that doesn't mean that our opinion is the correct one or the only one that counts.

That's usually the defense OP would use. Is different. Nothing is right or wrong. Unfortunately, certain images can create certain emotional reactions to the viewers. A poorly composed and executed photo would create "blab" reactions. While a nice shot would create a "wow" reaction.

Facebook (external link)

J0eybb
154 posts
Joined Nov 2011

May 16, 2012 13:54 |  #8

This is a really nice thread. Composition is good, and I love the colors.

T3i Kit | EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS | n00b

snyderman
Cream of the Crop
7,083 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 16, 2012 14:41 |  #9

Post some of your sports images in the sports section and ask for critique or post them in the Critique section. People will certainly tell you why you suck! Just kidding. You'll likely get lots of kind and helpful assistance ... just like I got when I totally sucked at sports shooting.

dave

Canon 5D2 > 35L-85L-135L

Zivnuska
Goldmember
3,657 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Joined Oct 2007

May 16, 2012 15:36 as a reply to  @ snyderman's post |  #10

The forum would be well served to adopt the canonical form of critiques as follows: Say one or two things you like about the photo and then say, "Next time try _______, _______ and ___________.

That allows the poster to save face and gives direction for improvement. It also helps make the comments appropriate for a variety of shooter skill levels. It wasn't that long ago that I was the worst shooter on the sports forum.

Phil

www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​com/blog (external link) = My Blog
Gear List
www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​com (external link)

"It's not tight until you see the color of the irides."

ajaffe
THREAD ­ STARTER
788 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 16, 2012 17:23 |  #11

TooManyShots wrote in post #14441213 (external link)
That's usually the defense OP would use. Is different. Nothing is right or wrong. Unfortunately, certain images can create certain emotional reactions to the viewers. A poorly composed and executed photo would create "blab" reactions. While a nice shot would create a "wow" reaction.

Right, but if those emotions are personal, then why post that photo unless it is strong enough to convey those emotions to complete strangers?

My point is, if I post a photo or set of photos up, please roast me if they warrant it. Honesty helps me improve, not "nice pics" comments. But when people reply honestly, they get called insensitive and so on. It makes no sense the amount of pandering that takes place for no reason.

www.aaronsjaffe.com (external link)

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 16, 2012 18:11 |  #12
bannedPermanent ban

ajaffe wrote in post #14442244 (external link)
Right, but if those emotions are personal, then why post that photo unless it is strong enough to convey those emotions to complete strangers?

My point is, if I post a photo or set of photos up, please roast me if they warrant it. Honesty helps me improve, not "nice pics" comments. But when people reply honestly, they get called insensitive and so on. It makes no sense the amount of pandering that takes place for no reason.

At least for me or others who shoot for money. I know my shots are good when I have a lot of sales. I know I have reached another level when top amateur bike racers care enough to spend some serious money on my photos. Some considers having their works published on a news outlet as a good feedback. I have a different opinion on that. I share those photos here because I just like to share my works. The emotion can't be personal because the subject isn't you or the subject isn't the viewer. It is just random athletes at times or maybe someone professional. You only have a strong emotional reaction to it only if you are really into that sport, and the photo can articulate what is happening in a very powerful way.

Personally, I have no tastes for other sports other than cycling race. :) Maybe basketball.

Facebook (external link)

SOK
Goldmember
1,592 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 16, 2012 18:59 as a reply to  @ TooManyShots's post |  #13

1. This is not a new complaint. There are countless threads that bemoan this very thing.
  2. We preach that art is in the eye of the beholder when it is suits us...so when someone says "nice shot" to something I find unappealing, do I have to assume they're either lying or stupid? Is it possibly they genuinely think it's a nice shot but don't have much more to say?
  3. The critique you get on an online forum is often worth what you pay for it...which in POTN's case is nothing.
Nice thread though :p

Steve
SOK Images - Wedding and Event Photography Gold Coast (external link)

J.Napier
886 posts
Joined Aug 2007

May 16, 2012 22:28 |  #14

Theres been more than one occassion recently that I have thought about posting something similar as to this thread but just felt it would be a waste of time. Many great sports photographers that have come and gone from here raely post anything for many of these same reasons.
I learned from people picking my work apart, some are more receptive to this than others here. Sports photography have certain standards that should be met and are clearly definded if you bother to read and study and find out what they are. This is not art it is photojouralism mostly. You should never sugest to move or place or add a ball or whatever into a sports image. Just becuse you like it does not make it a great sports image. I am not the end all be all perfect sports photog, but I try and will except CC in the lines and standards that were conveyed to me as what a sports image should be.
Dont post images that have not been brought to there best presentation to atleast the best of your ability and expect CC from me, Level the horizon, fix the color, make sure its in focus, put your best work forward 3-5 images and you will get better CC as to how to improve on the things you may have missed. If you want to post your personal attempt at art then the sports section is probebly not the place for you.
It would seem that people also want to post image threads in this section, thats not what its for, theres already a thread for that. I can see newbies mistaken it for thae correct place but others have been around her and should know better.
Anyway, this is a great place to learn but if everyone gets so easily offended and butt hurt there will be a lot less quality advice given here as a result.
Happy shooting all.

Jeff
Gear List
www.jni-ss.com / (external link)Blog (external link)
Sportshooterpage (external link) / Maxpreps (external link)
Facebook  (external link)/

ChunkyDA
Goldmember
3,706 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Apr 2007

May 16, 2012 22:38 |  #15

It is almost as bad as the "facebook effect" where even the most craptastic of the crap gets a ton of flowery positive comments.
Now where's that LIKE button??

Dave
Support Search and Rescue, Get Lost (external link)
Gear list and some feedback

sponsored links

13,971 views & 0 likes for this thread
Why does everyone say nice photos?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.