Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 16 May 2012 (Wednesday) 10:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Wedding Photographer Scam / Options?

this thread is locked
Six6Sicks
471 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 16, 2012 10:26 |  #1

Long story short....

My wife and I were married on Sep 3, 2011. (256 days ago)
In the contract we signed with our photographer, it says that we will receive a disk within 90 days with all of our photos from the wedding.
They photographer has been ignoring EVERY form of communication from us, as we STILL do not have our photos. (256 days now).
We have heard excuse after excuse and we are tired of it.

What are our options?

Do we take her to court?
Do we have a case?

Thanks for any insight.

Gear: Yes.
Insert stupid photography quote here to make me more of a photographer.

sponsored links
moose10101
registered smartass
1,600 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2010

May 16, 2012 10:46 |  #2

You have an attorney send her a letter outlining what will happen if she doesn't fulfill the contract.

Do you have a case? We're not lawyers. And we don't know if you fulfilled your side of the contract.

Six6Sicks
THREAD ­ STARTER
471 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 16, 2012 10:53 |  #3

moose10101 wrote in post #14440354 (external link)
Do you have a case? We're not lawyers. And we don't know if you fulfilled your side of the contract.

Lol, yes, we paid her in full prior to the wedding and we showed up to our wedding.
Our part of the contract was fulfilled.

mirrorrim
87 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 16, 2012 11:56 |  #4

Draft up a professional letter outlining the facts of the contract were not fulfilled (no disc within 90 days, numerous attempts to follow up, you paid) and give a solid "due by" date (say 2 weeks or a month from now) that the photographer must send the disc by or you will seek further action in civil court. Mail the letter by certified mail and pay for the option to be notified of receipt.

Then start the process of a civil suit.

(all of this is a suggestion and not legal advice. Your best bet is to seek an attorney)

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,394 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

May 16, 2012 12:00 |  #5

It sounds like you have a case.
I would send them a letter and threaten legal action if you do not receive the images on disk with X amount of days.
You may have to talk to an attorney.

Similar situation happened to a client of mine. It took my client over two years to get their images. They actually had the police intervene to get the images. This is all hearsay and happened ion Florida so who knows.

Stupid question but can you download from their website?

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

JacobPhoto
Goldmember
1,434 posts
Joined Jun 2005

May 16, 2012 18:47 |  #6

breach of contract.

~ Canon 7d / 5D ~ Novatron strobe setup + Vagabond
~ Some L glass, some flashes, the usual

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 16, 2012 18:52 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

Hmm...interesting. Is the photographer legit and she has done other weddings? I wonder if this is the case of GWC screwing up the wedding shots and failing to deliver the products with usable photos....

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

kevinthaiphotos
99 posts
Joined May 2012

May 17, 2012 00:48 as a reply to  @ TooManyShots's post |  #8

I have a suspicion the 'photographer' screwed up majority of the shots and realised they couldn't deliver and decided to remain quiet.

Kevin Thai Photos (external link) | Facebook (external link) | flickr (external link)
Canon 50D Gripped | Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 | Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 | Canon 70-200mm f/4L | Canon 580ex II | YN-560II | Cactus v5's
Full Gear List

Six6Sicks
THREAD ­ STARTER
471 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 17, 2012 01:27 |  #9

She did a lot of weddings prior to ours, and even after ours. She was highly recommended.

My wife and I made a surprise visit to her house yesterday. Boy was she surprised lol. I saw bursts of fire in my wife's eyes when she came to the door. Best part was that she was mad at US for "harassing her". Oh, I'm sorry we paid you money for your services and then you never answered an email or telephone call. SMH. Some people.

She promised to send the disc with all the images overnight. Today we received an email with the tracking number that shows guaranteed delivery by noon tomorrow.

She then had the nerve to tell us that:

If you would like your prints or any edits I need a list with in 2 weeks of the receipt of the DVD, prints will be sent within 15 business days.
Edits upto 25 will be done and sent with 30 business days
25 to 50 edits 45 business days
50 to 100 60 business days
over 100 90 business days

Lol, oh, so we'd have to wait even longer? No thank you. I hope she just sent us the RAW's. I'll do all the pp myself.

Fingers crossed that we have some great shots.

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,727 posts
Joined Oct 2006

May 17, 2012 09:07 |  #10

Six6Sicks wrote in post #14444138 (external link)
My wife and I made a surprise visit to her house yesterday. Boy was she surprised lol. I saw bursts of fire in my wife's eyes when she came to the door. Best part was that she was mad at US for "harassing her". Oh, I'm sorry we paid you money for your services and then you never answered an email or telephone call. SMH. Some people.

I personally would not have done that.

Have an attorney send them a letter demanding them to deliver or else. That would have been my first step. I would have never have gone to her personal residence unannounced. No way. There are certain boundaries I would not cross, no matter how crappy the situation becomes.

NYC Wedding Photographer (external link) | Blog (external link) | facebook (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Gear

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,263 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

May 17, 2012 09:17 as a reply to  @ Six6Sicks's post |  #11

So let us know how it turns out.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

Six6Sicks
THREAD ­ STARTER
471 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 17, 2012 11:27 |  #12

nicksan wrote in post #14445280 (external link)
I personally would not have done that.

Have an attorney send them a letter demanding them to deliver or else. That would have been my first step. I would have never have gone to her personal residence unannounced. No way. There are certain boundaries I would not cross, no matter how crappy the situation becomes.

So stealing from me is ok, but going to her house to communicate with her is not? Not where I come from.
She has not answered an email or phone call in 4-5 months.

Whatever, the disc arrived today. We'll see how many pics, and if they're any good.

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,727 posts
Joined Oct 2006

May 17, 2012 11:48 |  #13

Six6Sicks wrote in post #14445866 (external link)
So stealing from me is ok, but going to her house to communicate with her is not? Not where I come from.
She has not answered an email or phone call in 4-5 months.

Whatever, the disc arrived today. We'll see how many pics, and if they're any good.

Not where you come from? OK then. Eye for an eye eh? :lol:

You go through the proper legal channels to get results. This way no matter what happens, you will always be in the right and the photographer won't be able to use your actions against you. But hey, you got the disc, so yeah...whatever.

NYC Wedding Photographer (external link) | Blog (external link) | facebook (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Gear

hard12find
597 posts
Joined Sep 2006

May 17, 2012 12:50 |  #14

I agree with 6's approach, that is what is wrong with society, everyone wants to get a lawyer involved without having a face to face to discuss the options, I certainly would have informed her of my intentions to pursue civil action if product not deliverd within XX days.
Hope this works out for you...
Jim

20D, 10D, Fuji S-20, Mamiya C220 medium format, Sekonic L-508 meter, 2 alien bee 800's, AB remotes, Sigma 500 HS flash, 70-200 F2.8 L, Sigma 24-70 F2.8 EX DG, lots of glass, lots of stuff,8-)

moose10101
registered smartass
1,600 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2010

May 17, 2012 12:55 |  #15

hard12find wrote in post #14446284 (external link)
I agree with 6's approach, that is what is wrong with society, everyone wants to get a lawyer involved without having a face to face to discuss the options, I certainly would have informed her of my intentions to pursue civil action if product not deliverd within XX days.
Hope this works out for you...
Jim

Lots of things can happen with a face-to-face. Usually, only one of them is good, and of the rest, some are really bad, especially when one of the parties has been ignoring/avoiding contact for months.

When you want to enforce a contract (a legal document), you use a lawyer.

sponsored links

7,599 views & 0 likes for this thread
Wedding Photographer Scam / Options?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.