Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 20 May 2012 (Sunday) 04:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

So CS6 Worth The Upgrade?

BigBadWolfie
268 posts
Joined Jul 2011

May 20, 2012 04:46 |  #1

CS6 has been out for a bit and I haven't read too many reviews and comments on its real-word improvements over CS5. So what's the deal? I have CS5.5 right now. Should I upgrade to CS6 or skip this release?

sponsored links
RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007

May 20, 2012 05:05 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

Yeah there is vastly improved things in CS6. Though I am using the beta, the crop tool is a lot better. Content Aware seems tweaked a bit to make it do it so much better. There are new tools to do things.

It is best if you download the trial which will work side by side with CS5

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,993 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 20, 2012 07:22 |  #3

IMO - yes. You can download the trial and decide for yourself.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 20, 2012 09:23 |  #4

I am still using PS7 and remain happy with it. I see no good reason to upgrade from CS5.5

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

EL_PIC
Goldmember
2,028 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 20, 2012 10:07 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

Upgrade is an important bottom line to manufactures of equipment, software, and support.
Not so important to users.
I just went from CS3 to CS5 and only for Camera Raw to open 5D MII Raw files.

EL_PIC - RIT BS Photo '78 - Photomask Engineering Mgr
Canon DSLR - Nikon SLR - Phase One 60MP MFDSLR
http://www.Photo-Image-Creations.com (external link)
http://www.musecube.co​m/el_pic/ (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/PhotoImageCreations (external link)

Merlin_AZ
872 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 20, 2012 10:16 |  #6

Since the rules changed, we will all probably need to be on CS6 to get CS7 for the upgrade price.
Subject to change.

solara
620 posts
Joined Feb 2010

May 20, 2012 12:20 |  #7

I've read so much about how the crop tool is better.
But how is it that much better? I must not be using the crop tool to it's maximum potential on CS5 because it seems rather straightforward and simple to me.....how much better could it get in CS6?

5D III, 7D | 17-55 f/2.8 | 16-35 f/4 | 24-105 f/4 | 85 f/1.8 | 135 f/2 | 70-200 f/4 IS | 580EX II | YN-560 | Manfrotto 190XPROB+498RC2

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007

May 20, 2012 12:36 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

solara wrote in post #14459252 (external link)
But how is it that much better? I must not be using the crop tool to it's maximum potential on CS5 because it seems rather straightforward and simple to me.....how much better could it get in CS6?

Download it
There are new things like rule of third crop, golden spiral crop and others

The sizing is also different from CS5 as shown in the screenshot

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

May 20, 2012 13:57 |  #9

BigBadWolfie wrote in post #14458063 (external link)
CS6 has been out for a bit and I haven't read too many reviews and comments on its real-word improvements over CS5. So what's the deal? I have CS5.5 right now. Should I upgrade to CS6 or skip this release?

The net is littered with reviews and opinions on this release but as others have said the best judge is yourself. It doesn't take that long to download a trial and give it a road test.

I've been using it for quite awhile now and imo this is the most solid release that they have done is quite some time. People expect a huge long list of new functionality and there is some of this but there has also been alot of work done under the hood to make things work faster and more efficient.

I did an internet search for "Photoshop CS6 reviews" and there is no shortage of results. Places like NAPP (though you need membership for some if it), Photoshop Cafe, Photoshop Gurus and the list goes on all have solid reviews and many of them have video tutorials on the top new functions. There is also quite a few videos on YouTube that give their opinions of this new release but I always temper that with the fact that anyone can post anything there and you don't always know what you are getting. Generally they are mostly good but one just never knows.

Should one upgrade to this release from 5.5. I did and I bought the new combined Design and Web Premium suite. They have taken the Design Premium and Web Premium which used to be separate suites and combined them into one. If memory serves me correctly the only thing that is missing from either of those two is the flash builder. It also depends on what you use Photoshop for. If all you are doing is basic edits on images one could easily get by with what they have. If you do any amount of more intense editing it might serve your purposes but you really didn't share with us what you like to do in Photoshop and how are we to know if it will suit you then. I like to putz around in digital painting and the new brushes they have are alot of fun.

As I and others have said I would download it and give it a go for yourself.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

pridash
Goldmember
3,584 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Location: London, UK - Where 30 degrees celcius is considered a heatwave and liable to result in death.

May 21, 2012 04:22 as a reply to  @ RichSoansPhotos's post |  #10

BigBadWolfie wrote in post #14458063 (external link)

I've only been using it since yesterday and the mo, it isn't vastly different. I've seen some nice new additional content-aware related features but have yet to test it on one of my own images.

I'm not sure if it was a one off or not, but I think the refine edge tool is much more accurate now when it comes to masking hair. Will continue testing that over the next few weeks.

I played around with some of the tilt-shift blur filters and it seems like a nice addition to have.

The overall performance does seem snappier than CS5 though. Initially, I didn't like the new darker grey theme (and you can change it in "Preferences") but now I prefer it! :)

In all honesty though, if CS5 does the job for you then it might not be essential to upgrade. Though, anyone coming from CS3/4 would probably think it was a massive upgrade.

solara wrote in post #14459252 (external link)

Most importantly, the crop tool now has an option to not throw away pixels - exactly like LR - a brilliant feature if you don't have LR already. I mostly crop in LR so it's not a vital feature...although it's still nice to have.

Pradeep (but most people call me PJ)

Flickr (external link) | Website (external link)
Stop obsessing about gear and focus on your own art and creativity. Nurture and love the artist inside yourself.

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,765 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined Dec 2010

May 21, 2012 15:37 as a reply to  @ pridash's post |  #11

Just been playing with it today. Camera RAW 7.0 is better. Much more refined. I do much of my processing with ACR, so the improvements there are welcomed. I'm disappointed that the motion blur correction didn't make it into PS CS6. The crop tool is better and the Content Aware Move and Content Aware Patch tools are time savers, but not anything you couldn't do before with a little more work. Some of the new blur tool options might be fun to play with.

As to whether or not it's worth the upgrade, that's like asking if you should upgrade bodies. Maybe yes, maybe no. If you're financially strapped and have to make sacrifices elsewhere, I'd say no. Try it out on a trial basis and see. It will install alongside CS5 and not make any changes there.

Mark J.
Gear

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
12,540 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Aug 2010

May 21, 2012 16:29 |  #12

In my opinion, yes, it's a worthwhile upgrade. In fact I think it's a worthy upgrade on two levels: (1)They've made Photoshop better (love the new dark interface!) with numerous improvements, and (2)Unless you're certain you'll never upgrade again, Adobe's going to get your money eventually. You won't get a break for hanging out a release or two, so it's just easier/less-hard-on-the-pocketbook to upgrade each year. Factor it into your yearly budget.

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony: α7R II | Sony: 24GM, 35GM, 12-24GM, 24-105G, 200-600G | Sigma Art: 35 F1.2, 105 Macro | Zeiss Batis: 85, 135 | Zeiss Loxia: 21, 35, 85

lowrider
959 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 21, 2012 17:56 as a reply to  @ David Arbogast's post |  #13

I think it is. I was planning on skipping PS CS5. I was using CS4 until I saw the buy CS5 offer from adobe (buy CS5 upgrade after 3/26 but before 5/30) and get CS6 when released. I bought the CS5 upgrade from B&H for less than $140.00. I have my CS6 upgrade and I'm as happy as a clam:lol:

Lou

aquaregia
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Jan 2011

May 21, 2012 19:21 |  #14

Adobe makes it as difficult as possible to upgrade from CS5 to CS6. Fake screens for credit card entry. When you try to chat and find out what the problem is, all they want to do is upgrade you to the extended edition. It took me a while to catch on. I ended up telling the customer service rep that they could either upgrade me to vanilla CS6, or forget me as a customer.

This brought me to the "real" screen for CC and address info. Yet after paying for it, I got a email saying it would take 24 hours before I could download it. They did charge my credit card immediately which is a violation of their CC contract -- no charge until the item is shipped. I am thoroughly disgusted with Adobe. The dollar cost of the upgrade was immaterial. The time that it took was outrageous. And I still don't have the key. Even if you have the money, it is not worth the time it takes to get through their script reading salespeople.

I have used Adobe products for many years, and as a network admin I always required a PostScript engine in all printers. I learned PostScript because it was extremely useful. Until this upgrade I thought a lot of Adobe -- expensive but worth it. Now I am fed up with Adobe.

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

May 21, 2012 20:23 |  #15

aquaregia wrote in post #14465566 (external link)
Adobe makes it as difficult as possible to upgrade from CS5 to CS6. Fake screens for credit card entry. When you try to chat and find out what the problem is, all they want to do is upgrade you to the extended edition. It took me a while to catch on. I ended up telling the customer service rep that they could either upgrade me to vanilla CS6, or forget me as a customer.

This brought me to the "real" screen for CC and address info. Yet after paying for it, I got a email saying it would take 24 hours before I could download it. They did charge my credit card immediately which is a violation of their CC contract -- no charge until the item is shipped. I am thoroughly disgusted with Adobe. The dollar cost of the upgrade was immaterial. The time that it took was outrageous. And I still don't have the key. Even if you have the money, it is not worth the time it takes to get through their script reading salespeople.

I went online and did my upgrade in a matter of minutes without ever using the chat feature. You tell me what company does not reward it employees for up-selling the customers to a better (and more expensive) product. Its a fact of business. Stores advertise loss leaders to get you through the doors with the expectation that you are going to buy other items. I worked in the airline industry for many years and when they advertised a seat sale there was only a few seats on each flight as those ridiculously low prices. You wanted to get them to buy up into higher fare classes. I don't see anything wrong with Adobe attempting to up-sell customers to the extended version. It's just business. I will admit that they could probably make their website a little more user friendly for the novice user but generally I have always been able to find or do what I wanted to do. If they charged your credit card and didn't send you a download link until 24 hours later, is this really that big of a deal. If you wanted the program you could easily download the trial which is the exact same thing you will get in the link they provide.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

sponsored links

14,925 views & 0 likes for this thread
So CS6 Worth The Upgrade?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.