Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 20 May 2012 (Sunday) 13:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Eclipse

L.Morey
Goldmember
1,571 posts
Joined Oct 2005

May 20, 2012 13:42 |  #1

Can you safely take a pic of the eclipse today without screwing up your camera with a polirizer on it

7d gripped,40d gripped,G9,17-40f4L, 24-70f2.8 L, 70-200f2.8 mkll L, 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L, 50f1.4 , 85f1.8 , Sigma 24-70f2.8
Sigma 150-500 , Sigma 18-200f4-6.3 , Canon Ste2 , Canon
580mki , Canon 580mkllx2
http://lwmorey.zenfoli​o.com/ (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,807 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

May 20, 2012 13:59 |  #2

Polarizer reduces visible light, but does not reduce IR and UV light rays sufficiently. As a result, viewing thru the viewfinder is dangerous to your eyes. And the current wisdom, until proven otherwise, is to NOT aim the camera at the sun because of heat damage to the closed shutter, and to NOT aim the camera at the sun while in Live View mode due to heat damage to the sensor -- unless you have the proper solar filter in front of the lens.

This guy managed to get a shot with a 200mm lens on his 5DIII using a variable density filter (see reply #1)
http://www.canonrumors​.com/forum/index.php?t​opic=6643.0 (external link)
He apparently did not look thru the viewfinder to aim, did not use Live View either, but aimed and shot trial shots by trial and error until the sun was suitably framed, and (one guesses) managed to do so without causing the metal shutter blades to be damaged :eek:

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

birdfromboat
Goldmember
1,839 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 20, 2012 14:24 |  #3

been there done that using a welders sheild. Can't say the results were any better than seeing it covered on television, kind of like going to the grandcanyon and seeing better work at the gift shop on the calenders, why bother? It was an interesting experiment but I fealt I had risked what was then a very expensive camera for a less than thrilling result.

Gonna be overcast and rainy here today anyway, I would be more concerned about water damage, or my own sanity if I went out and set up for something I am not going to see anyway :)

5D, 10D, G10, the required 100 macro, 24-70, 70-200 f/2.8, 300 f2.8)
Looking through a glass un-yun

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

671 views & 0 likes for this thread
Eclipse
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.