Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 24 May 2012 (Thursday) 14:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What am i missing

hairy_moth
Goldmember
3,739 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009

May 24, 2012 16:11 |  #16

koufax80 wrote in post #14480170 (external link)
Well, none of the definitions mention spending a lot of money on equipment...

Are you saying since he was bad and young he couldn't be a professional? What does that make Justin Beiber?

LOL.. All I am saying is it is not as simple as "you get paid" or "you know a lot." I also acknowledge that we (on this board in general) will never agree as to "what is a professional" or "When can I call myself a photographer."

I have noticed that when people start and answer with phrases like "in my view" or "as I see it," what follows is pure BS.

7D | 300D | G1X | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 | EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro | EF 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L MkII -- flickr (external link)

sponsored links
1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

May 24, 2012 16:13 |  #17

koufax80 wrote in post #14480170 (external link)
Well, none of the definitions mention spending a lot of money on equipment...

Are you saying since he was bad and young he couldn't be a professional? What does that make Justin Beiber?

A byproduct of the internet.. nothing more. :p

Kel
Gear

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,433 posts
Gallery: 53 photos
Joined Dec 2006

May 24, 2012 16:17 |  #18

1Tanker wrote in post #14480203 (external link)
A byproduct of the internet.. nothing more. :p

And that sort of thing never existed before the Internet? See Cassidy, Shawn... and countless others before.

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 24, 2012 16:20 |  #19

A second body MINIMUM. Imagine you're on location and you're camera bites the dust for some strange reason. Without a body, none of the other stuff matters. An inexpensive Rebel body or another 40d would be invaluable. If you're charging people, you should have a backup!
Then you can start looking at light and glass, but light will make you more versatile and impact your pics immediately.
The kit lenses are good bargain lenses. They aren't bad, just not L series and not built "Ford tough". You can make great images with them, you're talent matters MUCH more than your glass.

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

cacawcacaw
Goldmember
2,862 posts
Joined May 2010

May 24, 2012 16:24 |  #20

calvinjhfeng wrote in post #14479985 (external link)
You are missing investment.

If you are going to start a business and to provide professional service, you need to invest at least a good couple thousands in professional gear and hire professional assistants. ...

You probably should know all of these before you start a business.

Haha, if someone were asking if they should make an investment, smart entrepreneurs would tell them that they should have a business first!

I'm inclined to agree with that point of view. Capital investment should only be made when the business has orders that it can't fill because of lack of capital. Everyone likes to buy new stuff, particularly camera equipment, but the real value in a business is created by knocking on doors or picking up the phone and asking for orders. (An employee can have value because of their skills, but being a skilled employee is only a small part of putting together a business.)

In fact, if someone's goal was to fast-track a wedding photography business, I'd tell them not to waste their time with anything photo related - it's easy to hire people to fill that slot. And, if someone's goal was to become a professional photographer, I'd probably tell them to develop their skills while they find a business partner to go knock on doors and get orders. Forming an organization that has nothing left over after you take your salary is called creating a job, not starting a business.

Replacing my Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24mm, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, and 150-500mm with a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. I still have the 17-55 and the 30 available for sale.

RACHPAR
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 24, 2012 17:04 |  #21

so i ask "what should i add to my bag" and let see i have one person suggest a lens and everyone else gives crap information. should i have asked a different question. Let see ALL of your camera gear is stolen, but the police only recovered one lens...... what lens do you hope it is?

hairy_moth
Goldmember
3,739 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009

May 24, 2012 17:11 |  #22

RACHPAR wrote in post #14480417 (external link)
Let see ALL of your camera gear is stolen, but the police only recovered one lens...... what lens do you hope it is?

My 70-200 f/2.8L II -- because it is the most expensive; but if I could only have one, it would be the 17-55 f/2.8; that's the one that I use the most and it is excellent.

But, in reality, you should not pick a lens because someone recommends it or because "I was told the kit lenses are not the best quality." You did tell us what you do, that's good, but to make the decision, you really need to have a idea of where your equipment is holding you back. If you can't answer that, I recommend saving your money until you can!

I had a 75-300 f/4.0-5.6; it did a nice job at my kids' soccer games; but when they started competitive swimming indoors, the f/4.0-5.6 just wasn't going to cut it -- I knew I needed a faster lens, and that's where I started my research that led to the 70-200.

7D | 300D | G1X | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 | EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro | EF 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L MkII -- flickr (external link)

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

May 24, 2012 17:11 |  #23

RACHPAR wrote in post #14480417 (external link)
so i ask "what should i add to my bag" and let see i have one person suggest a lens and everyone else gives crap information. should i have asked a different question. Let see ALL of your camera gear is stolen, but the police only recovered one lens...... what lens do you hope it is?

You didn't specify what to buy "for your bag"(meaning lens). I wouldn't call flash a crap suggestion. I think you got some fair answers... with the exception of the definition of professional. So, yes.. maybe the question was worded wrong.

Kel
Gear

RACHPAR
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 24, 2012 17:18 as a reply to  @ 1Tanker's post |  #24

In the first post i was only talking about lenses, which is why i posted in the equipment talk section specifically lenses. yes i am sorry for using the word "crap". I just didn't realize it was such a loaded question. lol

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

May 24, 2012 17:21 as a reply to  @ RACHPAR's post |  #25

I would go with the EF-S 17-55IS as well. Fast for lower light and/or shallow DoF, IS and very sharp.

Kel
Gear

Hot ­ Bob
Goldmember
1,021 posts
Joined Jul 2009

May 24, 2012 17:31 |  #26

I think you should already have a good idea of what you need. If you don't, then you're not growing and learning as a photographer. If you've never produced an image and wondered how you can improve it, then sought the answers, your just a person with a camera like millions of others. I don't know you; you may be brilliant with a camera but, based on the question you asked, I'd guess not. Want some real useful advice? Post up some photos that you are critical of and ask how to improve them.

Bob

Image of the Horse (external link)

Gear List

RACHPAR
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 24, 2012 17:37 |  #27

hair_moth.. Thank you, i am asking because i was told by a fellow photographer that my kit lenses are not good, i do not have problem per say with my lenses i know how to use them, my customers and I think i do a wonderful job with them. i have been looking online for lenses and was not sure what or if i was going to replace or add new lenses to by bag. but was just inquiring if there was anything out there that someone would add to my bag. also i think i need wide angle i had a huge wedding party and while taking the photos it didn't feel wide enough.

1Tucker- Thank you

RACHPAR
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 24, 2012 17:48 |  #28

Hot Bob- REALLY, its just a question. who cares if i have no experience and want to buy all the equipment in the world. you have never asked for others options before? that is all i am doing i am not asking you to hold my hand and go to the store with me just asking for recommendations of lenses.

Rocky ­ Rhode
Goldmember
1,416 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 24, 2012 18:28 as a reply to  @ RACHPAR's post |  #29

I see one of two scenarios; registration date of March 2010 but never posted a single time until now, over 2-years later?

1 - Hacked account and decided to troll.
2 – Using someone else’s account and decided to troll?

On a side note; kit lens is not a crappy lens, nor is the 55-250, however, I would not attempt to shoot any of the weddings that I have previously done with either one.

Even if I was doing it for free :cool:

GEAR LIST Flickr (external link)

kin2son
Goldmember
4,546 posts
Joined May 2011

May 24, 2012 18:33 |  #30
bannedPermanent ban

God bless your client....are they paying you peanuts??

Shooting a wedding with one body, kit lens only with no off camera flash?? Thanks but no thanks.

5D3 Gripped / 17-40L / Σ35 / 40 Pancake / Zeiss 50 MP / Σ85 / 100L Macro / 70-200 f2.8L II IS / 430 EX II / 580 EX II / Canon 2xIII TC / Kenko Ext. Tubes
EOS M / EF-M 18-55 / EF-M 22f2 / Ricoh GR aka Ultimate street camera :p
Flickr (external link) | My Images on Getty®‎ (external link)

sponsored links

3,876 views & 0 likes for this thread
What am i missing
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.