Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 25 May 2012 (Friday) 16:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First CC with Courtney

arich
401 posts
Joined Dec 2011

May 29, 2012 00:04 |  #16

There's a difference between "high key" and overexposed. Saying an overexposed image is high key is just a cop-out for blowing the lighting on a photo. Look up Peter Hurley for a legitimate high key look

http://andrew-richardson.net (external link)

sponsored links
Qbx
Goldmember
3,962 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Dec 2010

May 29, 2012 02:30 |  #17

arich wrote in post #14498465 (external link)
There's a difference between "high key" and overexposed. Saying an overexposed image is high key is just a cop-out for blowing the lighting on a photo. Look up Peter Hurley for a legitimate high key look

I'd agree with what you are saying but wonder why you are saying it here. This image is not blown-out. If anything he needs to brighten some areas like the arm.

-- Image Editing OK --

LeifHurst
153 posts
Joined May 2011

May 29, 2012 09:30 |  #18

The second photo the lighting/shadow is doing some funky things with her arm. My eye went to it and stuck there with a "WTH" kind of look on my face.

I would agree on the first image... the hair (while not completely blown 255 white) is still overexposed. It's difficult to tell where her hair begins and ends. (I am on a calibrated monitor).

Gripped Canon 7D | Gripped Canon 5D2 | 50mm f1.4 | 24-70L f2.8 | 24-105L f4 | 70-200L f2.8 IS II | 24L f1.4 | 85L II f1.2 | Too much lighting gear

arich
401 posts
Joined Dec 2011

May 29, 2012 10:54 |  #19

Qbx wrote in post #14498899 (external link)
I'd agree with what you are saying but wonder why you are saying it here. This image is not blown-out. If anything he needs to brighten some areas like the arm.

Because by having the wrong parts of the image underexposed for a high key shot it can no longer be classified as such and just becomes poorly exposed. He asked for critique (which I typically do when I know a photo isn't what I want it to be) so I'm giving him an example of who he could look at to try and get the look he wants when he reshoots this.

http://andrew-richardson.net (external link)

BluesDude
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Feb 2011

May 29, 2012 11:37 |  #20

I agree with everything QBX said about view #1 but will also say, with the right processing this will be a really nice image.
Image #2 is already a really good image and I like it.

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,402 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2005

May 29, 2012 18:18 |  #21

arich wrote in post #14500271 (external link)
Because by having the wrong parts of the image underexposed for a high key shot it can no longer be classified as such and just becomes poorly exposed. He asked for critique (which I typically do when I know a photo isn't what I want it to be) so I'm giving him an example of who he could look at to try and get the look he wants when he reshoots this.

I agree. The first thing I thought was 'Too hot'. The hair is to the point of no detail in spots. And although not technically blown out it has gone from blond/yellow hair to white.
The same with the spots on her face.

As a minor issue, the shadows under her arm stand out with the brightness of the rest of the image.

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

StaticMedia
875 posts
Joined Dec 2011

May 29, 2012 19:07 |  #22

Numero uno might have worked better if she was not a blonde. For #1 I would have shopped out the skin imperfections on the nose and arm for the type of model/photo she is in that one. Number 2 is nice and I like the exposure and curves. Her eyes look a bit more relaxed but her lips remain tense and posed which I think takes away from the delicate curves of her body and the rest of her expression. Great photo's though.

Jerrad245
59 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 06, 2012 02:30 |  #23

Pretty, the top pic is weird to me at the bottom, mariner crop up

5DIII, 5DII, 50L, 85L, 100L, 135L, 70-200L IS II.

Dashome
34 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 06, 2012 07:20 |  #24

Great photos. With hair as bright as her's, the first shot may be consider too bright. The second one is perfect from a photography and lighting perspective. Clean it up and you are good to go.

sponsored links

2,757 views & 0 likes for this thread
First CC with Courtney
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.