Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 26 May 2012 (Saturday) 14:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My Backup Plan....What do you think?

ChadAndreo
Goldmember
1,879 posts
Joined Nov 2006

May 26, 2012 14:47 |  #1

After a recent scare, I am looking at ways to improve my backup method using items that I already own. Buying a raid system is not in the plans for now.

Here is my current plan of attack:

Main MacBookPro Hard Drive: 256GB SSD

Main MBP Storage HD in OWC Data Doubler: 750GB Factory HD
-Partitions
-280GB Backup of SSD - Emergency Boot Drive in case of SSD failure
-470GB Main Portable Storage

External HDs

-500GB OWC Elite Mini - Portable backup of 470GB Main Portable Storage

-2TB Seagate GoFlex - Storage of completed projects and Backup Storage

-3TB Seagate GoFlex - Backup of Everything HD
-Partitions
-1st 280GB Backup of SSD
-2nd 500GB Backup of 470GB Main Portable Storage
-3rd 2.1 TB Backup of 2TB Seagate GoFlex

I am also running Crash Plan

What do you guys think?
What would you do differently?

btw, I also shoot a lot of wedding cinematography and thats why I need to have a lot of storage.

Photographer + Cinematographer
LETS CONNECT - SOCIAL PHOTOGRAPHY SITE LINKS | Website (external link) | Wedding Site (external link) |
| Flickr  (external link) | Gear | 500px  (external link) | Tumblr (external link)

sponsored links
NinetyEight
"Banned for life"
3,196 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2008

May 26, 2012 15:29 |  #2

Is any of this stored off-site? If not a fire could wipe the lot out.

Kev

dave_p
675 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 27, 2012 10:17 |  #3

NinetyEight is right. Assume your house burns down or is hit by a hurricane/tornado/thie​ves.

NinetyEight
"Banned for life"
3,196 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2008

May 27, 2012 12:47 |  #4

I'm not trying to be the voice of doom and gloom but it's something to think about . . .

You can have all the backups in the world but if they are all in the same place you could potentially lose everything.

Kev

john5189
598 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 27, 2012 13:01 |  #5

if you are worried use cloud storage, it is not expensive for photo only.
Do need good broadband. 1GB an hour is what I get which suits the jpegs into the clouds
external disks should in fire proof and hidden so cant be stolen, too.

Wedding Photography in Herefordshire.  (external link)

crn3371
Cream of the Crop
7,198 posts
Joined Mar 2005

May 28, 2012 12:06 |  #6

OP is running Crashplan, which is cloud backup

ChadAndreo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,879 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jun 01, 2012 02:42 |  #7

Thanks for the comments so far.
I think I might add another 2 or 3TB for instant off site access.

Photographer + Cinematographer
LETS CONNECT - SOCIAL PHOTOGRAPHY SITE LINKS | Website (external link) | Wedding Site (external link) |
| Flickr  (external link) | Gear | 500px  (external link) | Tumblr (external link)

mjww
674 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 01, 2012 17:34 |  #8

I believe that the best plan for back ups is 3-2-1. 3 different storage units, 2 different formats, 1 off site. I use my office desk as the offsite storage - in a locked drawer.

Equipment list - According to the wife - "how many more lenses do you need? Yet another camera?"  ???

Randy ­ Digby
237 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 01, 2012 19:13 |  #9

I use SugarSync for my home business files and CrashPlan for photos. SS seems to be more responsive, ie. files are backed up to the cloud as soon as they are generated or changed and I love the Sync capability. CrashPlan is a little less expensive for the large memory hog files like pics, plus I don't need immediate backup of those.

Got a camera, some cheap glass, one nice glass, a PC which doubles as my darkroom and a lot to learn - and having fun learning.
Taking a picture is like planting a memory, it grows more beautiful with time.

JBillings
909 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 02, 2012 21:22 |  #10

NinetyEight wrote in post #14491704 (external link)
I'm not trying to be the voice of doom and gloom but it's something to think about . . .

You can have all the backups in the world but if they are all in the same place you could potentially lose everything.

Be the the voice of doom and gloom. It's an important job. OFFSITE BACKUP IS NECESSARY. I am the voice of experience here. Having had my entire business wiped out bn an F4 tornado, I'd have had to close the doors, if I hadn't had my backups. With backups all I had to do was buy a new computer and start up.

jb
Nature website (external link) -- Sports website (external link)

sponsored links

1,784 views & 0 likes for this thread
My Backup Plan....What do you think?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.