Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 28 May 2012 (Monday) 10:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Good Will or Get Stuffed?

*Jayrou
Goldmember
1,121 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2010

May 28, 2012 10:55 |  #1

I sold a Sigma 50 1.4 to some guy last week, face to face meeting , tested it ,handed over the money to me £220, everyone happy

5 days later he rings me up saying its broken (Because there are 4 specks of dust inside), I said "I hadn't noticed it but dust inside lenses are a fact of life, it happens"
I said its not broken, he's had it 5 days and he inspected it before he bought it.

I hadn't noticed any dust before I sold it, but his attitude was basically I knew it was 'Broken' and I've been dishonest knowingly selling a broken ( 4 Dust speckled) lens.

Is 5 Days a little to long for me to exercise good will?.. I feel his attitude was down right insulting so I'm thinking yes.. stuff him.

what's your thoughts?

James
Flickr  (external link)
Website (external link)

sponsored links
Phrasikleia
Goldmember
1,828 posts
Joined May 2008

May 28, 2012 11:03 |  #2

I would probably just send him some links to online articles that will inform about the dust: it's not going to affect his photos in any way. All used lenses have a least a few specks of dust in them, unless they are almost new. The lens is not "broken." For all you know he scratched the lens while cleaning it and is hoping that you won't notice when you take it back.

Photography by Erin Babnik (external link) | Newsletter (external link) | Photo Cascadia Team Member (external link) | Facebook (external link)

*Jayrou
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,121 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 28, 2012 11:07 |  #3

Phrasikleia wrote in post #14495513 (external link)
I would probably just send him some links to online articles that will inform about the dust: it's not going to affect his photos in any way. All used lenses have a least a few specks of dust in them, unless they are almost new. The lens is not "broken." For all you know he scratched the lens while cleaning it and is hoping that you won't notice when you take it back.

This is my thinking

5 days , Anything could happen, the lens is over 12 months old.

James
Flickr  (external link)
Website (external link)

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,140 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

May 28, 2012 11:08 |  #4

dust is very common. If he's complaining about dust specs, I'de point him to articles about dust. Even L glass can get dust. You dont owe him anything, and it's definitely not broken. It's like someone buying a car, then noticing the underside of the car has mud....

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

Sacadelic
585 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 28, 2012 11:10 |  #5

+1 to what these guys are saying. Did you give him a warranty? If not, I would think that all things bought from Craigslist or any type of listing or however you sold it, to be sold "as-is." He may see the dust, but it wont show up in the pics. SO I vote "Get Stuffed," but in a polite way.

-Sac
Feedback

*Jayrou
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,121 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 28, 2012 11:14 |  #6

Sacadelic wrote in post #14495536 (external link)
+1 to what these guys are saying. Did you give him a warranty? If not, I would think that all things bought from Craigslist or any type of listing or however you sold it, to be sold "as-is." He may see the dust, but it wont show up in the pics. SO I vote "Get Stuffed," but in a polite way.

Well Sigma has 3 years warranty , I was going to pass him in the Amazon receipt when I got hold of it.

I was trying to explain that he wont see it but he was kept saying .."You knew , you knew you were selling a broken lens"

I ended up hanging up on him as he was driving me insane..:mad:

James
Flickr  (external link)
Website (external link)

CHASLX200
138 posts
Joined May 2012

May 28, 2012 11:16 |  #7

Tell him to take a hike.

jimewall
Goldmember
1,871 posts
Joined May 2008

May 28, 2012 11:27 as a reply to  @ Sacadelic's post |  #8

With Craigslist you get to see and test things before buying. Unless you wouldn't let him see the lens or test it there on the spot. I doubt you did that; and if you did, I doubt he would have purchased. If he was fine then with the lens, then he should be fine now with the lens. For all you know he used it in the dustiest possible conditions and so maybe it is his fault the dust is there.

When I buy off Craigslist I check the item for what I consider problems, I expect others to do so to. I do not sell things without disclosing any problems I know about, but I buy with the thought that they are hiding something so it is my job to check for problems. All sales are final.

Do what you feel is right. Unless they are being extremely rude I doubt I would tell someone to go get stuffed. I think that I would I try to be polite.

Thanks for Reading & Good Luck - Jim
GEAR

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,996 posts
Gallery: 149 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

May 28, 2012 16:13 |  #9

He inspected the lens before he bought it from you. It was his job to discover the dust specks at that time. If he didn't notice it then, then it's his problem. He had a chance to look the lens over - if he didn't do a thorough, perfect job of inspecting the lens at that time, that's his fault.
Tell him that I said this!

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,858 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 28, 2012 18:03 |  #10

Caveat Emptor

Cheers,
Bear Dale

Some of my photos featured on Flickr Bear Dale (external link)

sambarino
549 posts
Joined Feb 2011

May 28, 2012 18:33 |  #11

Tom Reichner wrote in post #14496681 (external link)
He inspected the lens before he bought it from you. It was his job to discover the dust specks at that time. If he didn't notice it then, then it's his problem. He had a chance to look the lens over - if he didn't do a thorough, perfect job of inspecting the lens at that time, that's his fault.
Tell him that I said this!

Exactly! He is probably just trying to get some money back. I would just tell him to hit the road.

Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,858 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 28, 2012 19:14 |  #12

5 days of ownership could have been the following -

day 1 accidently dropped into water

days 2 to 4 sitting in rice drying lens out

day 5 complaining to seller and trying to get his money back

Cheers,
Bear Dale

Some of my photos featured on Flickr Bear Dale (external link)

thedge
417 posts
Joined Jul 2010

May 29, 2012 01:09 |  #13

After five days.... He can get stuffed.

7D - 100-400 L, Sigma 28, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4

unistudent1962
166 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 29, 2012 02:21 |  #14

Five days, five minutes, it shouldn't make any difference in my opinion.
You met with him, he tested it, from there it was his decision to purchase or not.
He chose to purchase, even IF it had dust in it when he bought it, you have given open diclosure and allowed him to test it before money changed hands.

Sounds like a case of buyers' remorse to me.
It's his problem now, or you could always offer to buy it back for 50 less.

Canon 70D w/Grip l Canon 60D w/Grip l EF 100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS l EF 70-200 f4L IS l EF-S 15-85 f3.5-5.6 IS USM l EF 100mm f2.8 USM Macro l EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM l EF 50 f1.8 II l EF-S 10-22 f3.5-4.5 USM l 430 EX II Flash l Manfrotto 055XPROB + 498RC2 Tripod l Benro MP-96 M8 Monopod l Lowepro Vertex 200 AW Backpack l Lowepro Pro Runner 300 AW Backpack l PS CS5 Extended l Lightroom 4.3

modchild
Goldmember
1,469 posts
Joined Jul 2011

May 29, 2012 02:39 |  #15

unistudent1962 wrote in post #14498871 (external link)
Sounds like a case of buyers' remorse to me.
It's his problem now, or you could always offer to buy it back for 50 less.

My thoughts exactly. What proof has he got that the dust was there when you sold it and he's not responsible for the dust. Buy it back off him as you know it's a good lens and then put it up for sale on the forum. Full disclosure is best, but if he's inspected it and OK'd it, he has no comeback.

EOS 5D MkIII, EOS 70D, EOS 650D, EOS M, Canon 24-70 f2.8L MkII, Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII, Canon 100 f2.8L Macro, Canon 17-40 f4L IS, Canon 24-105 f4L IS, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 85 f1.8, Canon 50 f1.4, Canon 40 f2.8 STM, Canon 35 f2, Sigma 150-500 OS, Tamron 18-270 PZD, Tamron 28-300 VC, 580EX II Flash, Nissin Di866 MkII Flash, Sigma EM 140 Macro Flash and other bits.

sponsored links

3,143 views & 1 like for this thread
Good Will or Get Stuffed?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.