Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
Thread started 29 May 2012 (Tuesday) 10:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

WordPress-zenfolio

unlimited6986
854 posts
Joined Sep 2007

May 29, 2012 10:11 |  #1

Hi im looking to get a wordpress site going soon. I also currently have a zenfolio site. Would it be smart to use the wordpress as my portfolio/blog and keep zenfolio for prints and stuff for weddings? Also im guessing i would need a new domain name as my zenfolio currently has the one im using? Any help would be great. I know zenfolio has a blog but i just love the look of the wordpress sites so much more then the basic zenfolio ones. Thank you.

sponsored links
synapxe
338 posts
Joined Feb 2007

May 29, 2012 21:58 |  #2

hey! I've never used Zenfolio but I'm a big wordpress supporter. I don't know how easy it would be for you to use wordpress for prints so my suggestion would be to keep your zenfolio and create a blog in addition (basically everything you just said)

As for your domain, you can create a blog or sub domain quite easily depending on your host/domain host. you could for example do blog.yourdomain.com and prints.yourdomain.com and a splash page on yourdomain.com

The world is your oyster!

www.stillconcept.com (external link)

5DmkIII | 7D | 17-40L | 24-70L | 70-200L F2.8 IS II | 430EX II | Dakine Mission Photo Bag | Think Tank Retrospective 20
http://www.stillconcep​t.com/ (external link)

cory1848
Goldmember
1,884 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 30, 2012 08:39 |  #3

Thats what I do. Separate wordpress site and use Zenfolio for print fulfillment/galleries.

Gear List
"Those are some mighty fine pots and pans you have, they must make a great dinner!

unlimited6986
THREAD ­ STARTER
854 posts
Joined Sep 2007

May 30, 2012 11:10 |  #4

Awesome so what exactly would i need to do? My zenfolio is rlewisphotos.com how hard is it to keep tge name but transfer to the different sites?

John
Goldmember
1,401 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 01, 2012 10:17 |  #5

There are a couple of ways to do this. It looks like the DNS for your domain is being managed by GoDaddy and so if you wanted to modify your DNS, you'd have to log into GoDaddy's control panel to do so.

First thing, decide on your new subdomain like "blog.rlewisphotos.com​". Then you have to sign up for hosting using blog.rlewisphotos.com as your domain. Once this is done, your host will be able to give you the IP address of your new account which you will need in the next step. (not familiar with zenfolio enough to be able to tell you if they can host your blog too in which case zenfolio would tell you the IP address to use)

Now you have to update the DNS information for your domain. You would have to log into GoDaddy's DNS management system and add a CNAME record for your new subdomain. So for example, if you wanted to add "blog.rlewisphotos.com​", then you would need to add alias "blog" as a CNAME record that points to the IP address provided in the previous step. GoDaddy has a how-to article on this:

http://support.godaddy​.com …dns-for-your-domain-names (external link)

Once the DNS change propagates globally, when you access http://blog.rlewisphot​os.com (external link), it should be pointed to your non-zenfolio hosting account.

john | gear | web hosting deal for POTN members!

mmcguire
273 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 01, 2012 12:42 |  #6

I use Wordpress for my site and Smugmug for the galleries. I set up a CNAME for the galleries.

Main site - Wordpress - mattmcguire.com
Galleries - Smugmug - photos.mattmcguire.com

I am not sure if you can do the same thing with Zenfolio.

unlimited6986
THREAD ­ STARTER
854 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 01, 2012 19:47 |  #7

Thanks guys im looking into some templates now for wordpress. Now i have a good idea of what i need to do thanks to you guys. Really appreciate it

cabinajm
812 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2010

Jun 06, 2012 14:58 |  #8

I use wordpress for my front end and smugmug for my galleries.

-Chris
A couple Canons, a flash, a bunch of lenses and LIGHTS!
Silverstar Media : Photography - Web Design - Technology Support (external link)

unlimited6986
THREAD ­ STARTER
854 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 06, 2012 20:54 |  #9

How much do you guys pay for wordpress? What addons should i get? Its just going to be like a portfolio and all the other pics/buying is zenfolio.

mmcguire
273 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 07, 2012 11:11 |  #10

Wordpress is free. Most addons (plugins) are free. You just need to host it somewhere and that will cost a few dollars each month.

unlimited6986
THREAD ­ STARTER
854 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 07, 2012 14:25 |  #11

O really I thought I had to buy the addons. I thought id have to buy the 5-10gb storage. So I just get a host and then what would I do after I get the template I want? Just upload the pics to the host and transfer the pics? Sorry I'm a noob at websites.

mmcguire
273 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 07, 2012 20:05 |  #12

Yes get a hosting provider. Go grab wordpress and upload/install it. You may even want to look for a hosting company that has a 1-click install of wordpress.

unlimited6986
THREAD ­ STARTER
854 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 07, 2012 20:18 |  #13

Who di you use for hosting if you dont mind me asking?

mmcguire
273 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 07, 2012 20:26 |  #14

I use knownhost.com. I am on VPS, but that is probably overkill for a single site (I run many sites). Here is their reseller plans:

http://www.knownhost.c​om/shared-hosting.html (external link)

dkizzle
Goldmember
1,184 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jun 08, 2012 10:28 |  #15

Check out Theme Forest for Wordpress photography themes. I purchased one this week.

I want to guest blog on your Landscape / Travel photography blog, PM for details

sponsored links

7,853 views & 0 likes for this thread
WordPress-zenfolio
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.