Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 29 May 2012 (Tuesday) 10:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Finding a Webhost: Disk Space and Bandwidth Questions

BigBadWolfie
268 posts
Joined Jul 2011

May 29, 2012 10:16 |  #1

Since I want to run a private blog as well as a picture sharing site, I've been looking at finding a web/site host other than SmugMug and Zenfolio. I'm just starting out and I don't foresee my sites to have any sort of heavy traffic anytime soon.

Since I'm completely new to this, I am wondering what disk space/bandwidth requirements I should be looking at. Will 5gb worth of disk space be enough? 10gb? 15gb? The difference between 5gb and 10gb isn't a whole lot. Then again, if disk space and bandwidth will become an issue because of my photo sharing needs then I might just as well choose the cheapest package and go with SmugMug and Zenfolio for my image sharing needs. Any suggestions?

sponsored links
Kronie
Goldmember
2,183 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 29, 2012 11:09 |  #2

I primarily use go daddy for hosting and domains but there are many others. There economy hosting is maybe $5 a month and will be more then you need. You may want to look into wordpress for a website as its entirely customizable. A little more work than Zenfolio or smugmug but you get the results you want and you don't have to work around their format and look.

BigBadWolfie
THREAD ­ STARTER
268 posts
Joined Jul 2011

May 29, 2012 20:59 as a reply to  @ Kronie's post |  #3

Thanks. I don't plan to go with godaddy, but looking at their economy package, it appears that they give you 10gb of disk space. So you think 10gb would be a good starting point and 5gb would be too little?

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

May 30, 2012 00:08 |  #4

BigBadWolfie wrote in post #14503191 (external link)
Thanks. I don't plan to go with godaddy, but looking at their economy package, it appears that they give you 10gb of disk space. So you think 10gb would be a good starting point and 5gb would be too little?

It all depends on how you plan to use it!

My photo host (PBase) offers plenty of storage, I'm not even sure if there's a limit -- you pay, and you pay a bit more frequently as your storage goes up.

But, I don't store Large, High Quality jpegs on there -- I upload images that are "sized for the Web", meaning sized for the POTN limit of 1024 pixels at the longest dimension, and my jpeg Quality setting is is not at the maximum. Plus, after some time, I'll delete a lot of my "originals", which saves disk space.

So, I have more than 8,000 images on PBase and they are only taking up a bit more than 1.5GB of space!

However, if you plan on using the site to store larger, high quality jpegs, then if I were you I'd be looking at the "economy" 10GB approach, at least to start with!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Ry-Guy
20 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 30, 2012 00:15 |  #5

DreamHost is an excellent company to work with. Unlimited bandwidth, storage, emails, etc. And they support many great server features that other hosts don't. Check'em out, I think their monthly price is around $8 for their shared hosting package, but you can get it for less if you find a coupon code. And if you start getting more traffic or if you need more resources, their VPS and dedicated servers are quite reasonable.

| 7D | Gripped XSi | 24-105L | 100L Macro | Nifty-Fifty | Nifty Two-Fifty | 580EX II |

YamahaRob
571 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 30, 2012 01:05 |  #6

I used Lunarpages for the last 6 yrs. Mainly for our racetrack safety crew site.

Rob
Nikon D300
Canon AE-1P (it becomes digital when pics are scanned in with a scanner:lol:)

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

May 30, 2012 04:47 |  #7

webfaction is very solid and fast.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

Canajun
Goldmember
2,881 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 30, 2012 04:53 as a reply to  @ elrey2375's post |  #8

I'm with a shared-hosting site. $4.95/mo (unlimited b/w, unlimited diskspace, cPanel etc.) been with them since 2003

Jun.Roberto.Dizon.Greg​orio
My Photographic Gears.

I Like Shooting Animals Than People.

Kronie
Goldmember
2,183 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 30, 2012 08:13 |  #9

BigBadWolfie wrote in post #14503191 (external link)

What do you have against go daddy? Just curious...

Also as Tony said if you re-size for web, say 1000PX, 5GB will last forever.

BigBadWolfie
THREAD ­ STARTER
268 posts
Joined Jul 2011

May 30, 2012 08:46 |  #10

tonylong wrote in post #14504071 (external link)
However, if you plan on using the site to store larger, high quality jpegs, then if I were you I'd be looking at the "economy" 10GB approach, at least to start with!

Thanks for the advice. One thing I would like to do is to set up private folders and upload high res photos into them for overseas family members to download. But I don't anticipate too much of a space problem there since I can always delete those folders.

Still, do you think something like SmugMug or Zenfolio would be better options for this purpose?

Kronie wrote in post #14505187 (external link)
What do you have against go daddy? Just curious...

Also as Tony said if you re-size for web, say 1000PX, 5GB will last forever.

I just came across too many bad reviews to have confidence in it. It's strictly personal. So you think 5gb is plenty as well even for a moderately-sized photo sharing site?

Kronie
Goldmember
2,183 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 30, 2012 09:15 |  #11

BigBadWolfie wrote in post #14505353 (external link)
Thanks for the advice. One thing I would like to do is to set up private folders and upload high res photos into them for overseas family members to download. But I don't anticipate too much of a space problem there since I can always delete those folders.

Still, do you think something like SmugMug or Zenfolio would be better options for this purpose?

I just came across too many bad reviews to have confidence in it. It's strictly personal. So you think 5gb is plenty as well even for a moderately-sized photo sharing site?

They have wonderful customer support. One of the best you will find. Dare I say, better than Apple? Start out with 5GB and see where it takes you. You can always upgrade if you need it.

BigBadWolfie
THREAD ­ STARTER
268 posts
Joined Jul 2011

May 31, 2012 09:08 |  #12

Kronie wrote in post #14505527 (external link)
Start out with 5GB and see where it takes you. You can always upgrade if you need it.

Ya I think that's what I'm going to start with and if I need more, I'll look into SmugMug or Zenfolio for my photo sharing needs.

sponsored links

1,474 views & 0 likes for this thread
Finding a Webhost: Disk Space and Bandwidth Questions
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.