Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 29 May 2012 (Tuesday) 11:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

UK: model release? on our private property?

hania
919 posts
Joined Nov 2004

May 29, 2012 11:00 |  #1

UK model release question.

We had a farm sale (end of Dairying) & I was photographing the day as an "End of Era" album I want to make.

The photos included members of the general public who had come to the (auction) sale, which was held on our property.

I now want to enter a competition, one class being "Countryside People".

There were many interesting characters at the sale - do I need a model release form if I enter one of the photos?

Gear List

sponsored links
nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

May 29, 2012 11:08 |  #2

I-Am-Not-A-Lawyer-But-I-Play-One-On-The-Internet advice:

Legally, you only need a model release if you're using the images in a commercial manner - that is, displaying a person's likeness in a manner that implies that the person promotes or endorses your product or service. Note that simply displaying the image, or even selling the image (as art) is not necessarily commercial use. So, no, you don't need a release to enter the competition as a private individual.

However, the nice/polite/courteous(​/ethical?) thing to do is to ask permission before displaying a picture of someone, such as putting it in a competition. Not legally necessary, but courteous.

Some people may THINK you need their release to use their image publicly. Even if they're legally incorrect, they might like to make a big mess of things if you use their likeness without prior permission. I generally err on the side of asking first, and getting a release, even if it's legally not necessary.

[EDIT] The above is mostly correct for the U.S. and may not be the same in other countries.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,328 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

May 29, 2012 11:10 |  #3

The first place to look would be the contest rules. Often, they will say that a model release is needed for the winners. However, the absence of such terminology might not get you off the hook. I can't speak to U.K. law. Regardless, it's not always a cut and dried situation. It depends on the usage and how prominent the individuals are in the image. If they're the subject, then a model release is your safest bet. If it was open to the public even though it was on private property, there were probably people all over taking pictures. That implies that if you attended, odds are you were going to get into somebody's pictures.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

hania
THREAD ­ STARTER
919 posts
Joined Nov 2004

May 29, 2012 11:55 |  #4

nathancarter wrote in post #14500347 (external link)
I-Am-Not-A-Lawyer-But-I-Play-One-On-The-Internet advice:

Legally, you only need a model release if you're using the images in a commercial manner - that is, displaying a person's likeness in a manner that implies that the person promotes or endorses your product or service. Note that simply displaying the image, or even selling the image (as art) is not necessarily commercial use. So, no, you don't need a release to enter the competition as a private individual.

However, the nice/polite/courteous(​/ethical?) thing to do is to ask permission before displaying a picture of someone, such as putting it in a competition. Not legally necessary, but courteous.

Some people may THINK you need their release to use their image publicly. Even if they're legally incorrect, they might like to make a big mess of things if you use their likeness without prior permission. I generally err on the side of asking first, and getting a release, even if it's legally not necessary.

The T&C states you have to have a Model release (but I wondered if that was legally enforceable) - so I suppose that for this particular competition, I shall have to try and get one - though how I will track down the people involved I don't know - they came from all over the country!

Gear List

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

May 29, 2012 15:23 |  #5

hania wrote in post #14500577 (external link)
The T&C states you have to have a Model release (but I wondered if that was legally enforceable) - so I suppose that for this particular competition, I shall have to try and get one - though how I will track down the people involved I don't know - they came from all over the country!

If you look at the T&C, you will likely see that if you enter a photo into the competition you are giving the sponsors some "rights" to use your photo for things such as the promoting of their organization/company. This means that they could use your photo for "commercial" purposes, which does require a Model Release from people who are "recognisable". As to what defines "recognisable" can be a bit of a grey area, but to me I just prefer to stay clear of that type of thing! However, I have all sorts of "candid" photos of strangers on my Web host (PBase)!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

hania
THREAD ­ STARTER
919 posts
Joined Nov 2004

May 30, 2012 03:30 |  #6

tonylong wrote in post #14501638 (external link)
If you look at the T&C, you will likely see that if you enter a photo into the competition you are giving the sponsors some "rights" to use your photo for things such as the promoting of their organization/company. This means that they could use your photo for "commercial" purposes, which does require a Model Release from people who are "recognisable". As to what defines "recognisable" can be a bit of a grey area, but to me I just prefer to stay clear of that type of thing! However, I have all sorts of "candid" photos of strangers on my Web host (PBase)!

yes- shall not enter that particular class - not worth the bother

Gear List

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 06, 2012 11:43 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

hania wrote in post #14500311 (external link)
UK model release question.

We had a farm sale (end of Dairying) & I was photographing the day as an "End of Era" album I want to make.

The photos included members of the general public who had come to the (auction) sale, which was held on our property.

I now want to enter a competition, one class being "Countryside People".

There were many interesting characters at the sale - do I need a model release form if I enter one of the photos?

Depends if it is for editorial, in which case, no release is necessary. If you are going to use for stock photography, yes you do, because it could end up being used for reasons I don't want to get into. Personal use, no you don't. Commercial use...depends, but I would get the person to sign for a release just in case you needed one. In the latter, you might have to pay the person some kind of compensation (usually means a monetary exchange) as with using the image for stock

sponsored links

1,202 views & 0 likes for this thread
UK: model release? on our private property?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.