Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 29 May 2012 (Tuesday) 12:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Newbie Needs Backup Body

fotojennik
213 posts
Joined Aug 2011

May 29, 2012 12:05 |  #1

OK, as I enter into the world of wedding photography (and seniors and family), I realize I need a 2nd/backup body at minimum to feel comfortable being the only photographer (although if doing a wedding solo I would definitely try to bring a 2nd shooter).

At this point, I don't think I can swing another 5D Mark II, if I did I would basically be shooting with 2 bodies [5d2] and 2 lenses [35L and 135L] though perhaps I would swing an extra 50/1.4 and 100non-L.

So, for a 2nd body (so I can have 2 attached to me w/ 2 primes) which also counts as a back-up (though I do have an old 20D if the absolute worst happens and I lose both bodies in one fell swoop somehow)....

Would you rather have:

5D Classic <-- gives me 2 FF bodies
7D (used) <-- better AF, crop
50D (used) <-- worst of the 3 but allows me to then add another lens or two to my lineup

The less I spend on a body is more I can put in glass.

Or, since I won't be shooting anything (have 3 opportunites coming up in Sept and October) for a while, should I just wait and hope to be able to snag a good used 5D Mark II to have 2 solid bodies?

So many options!

Pittsburgh Wedding Photographer (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Gear List

sponsored links
emdzey01
349 posts
Joined Apr 2008

May 29, 2012 12:33 |  #2

Are you trying to get a 2nd body to use at the same time or a backup body that'll sit in your bag just in case your 5d2 quits on you?

If it's a backup body, I'd get a 50D. You'll never know when you'd encounter an accidental drop or spill but with proper care, the chances are slim to none. Shutters are rated for at least 100k and you'll probably itch for another camera before it even gets to that point. Save your money, get a 50D and invest in another lens or two like you said.

As a 2nd body, I'd suggest a 7D. The extra "reach" will come in handy as well as the better AF will be a joy to use for processionals, recessionals and reception entrances. I get enough keepers using center point and AI Servo on the 5d2 but the 7D just focuses faster and much more accurately.

In my experience, I went back to using a single body and keeping a backup in the bag. I used a Black Rapid double strap with the 7D and 5D2 on either side but it just didn't work out for me. I move around a lot when taking photos and being mindful of the 7D+70-200 on my left side prevents me from kneeling and crouching without being more careful. I prefer worrying about my shot rather than thinking of the other camera beside me.

my name is mjay.

Click for my transactions as a seller on POTN

fotojennik
THREAD ­ STARTER
213 posts
Joined Aug 2011

May 29, 2012 12:51 |  #3

emdzey01 wrote in post #14500770 (external link)
Are you trying to get a 2nd body to use at the same time or a backup body that'll sit in your bag just in case your 5d2 quits on you?

If it's a backup body, I'd get a 50D. You'll never know when you'd encounter an accidental drop or spill but with proper care, the chances are slim to none. Shutters are rated for at least 100k and you'll probably itch for another camera before it even gets to that point. Save your money, get a 50D and invest in another lens or two like you said.

As a 2nd body, I'd suggest a 7D. The extra "reach" will come in handy as well as the better AF will be a joy to use for processionals, recessionals and reception entrances. I get enough keepers using center point and AI Servo on the 5d2 but the 7D just focuses faster and much more accurately.

In my experience, I went back to using a single body and keeping a backup in the bag. I used a Black Rapid double strap with the 7D and 5D2 on either side but it just didn't work out for me. I move around a lot when taking photos and being mindful of the 7D+70-200 on my left side prevents me from kneeling and crouching without being more careful. I prefer worrying about my shot rather than thinking of the other camera beside me.

I'm not entirely sure at this point. I'd like to be able to experiment with both. However, I definitely don't like the idea of the Black Rapid Straps that leave a camera dangling from my side. I would most likely carry something like a ThinkTank Retro20 with the other body inside (lens attached) and use a handstrap on that body.

I think my lens selection sort of makes it difficult at this point to use only 1 body without doing a lot of lens changes. Which maybe I won't even mind with a good bag like a Shootsac.

In the future, I will have a full array lenses, but for now I am quite limited. While I feel I can do a great job with just the 35L and 135L as my primary lenses, I need some form of backups as well. At this point, I simply cannot afford what I want (70-200 2.8 IS II and 16-35) so I have to make due until I can make some more cash from this. A less ideal setup would be a 17-40 and a 100mm macro so that I have wide covered for large groups and the 100mm gives me macro for details as well as portrait if 135L fails.

Pittsburgh Wedding Photographer (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Gear List

Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,575 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 29, 2012 13:09 |  #4

fotojennik wrote in post #14500861 (external link)
I'm not entirely sure at this point. I'd like to be able to experiment with both. However, I definitely don't like the idea of the Black Rapid Straps that leave a camera dangling from my side. I would most likely carry something like a ThinkTank Retro20 with the other body inside (lens attached) and use a handstrap on that body.

I think my lens selection sort of makes it difficult at this point to use only 1 body without doing a lot of lens changes. Which maybe I won't even mind with a good bag like a Shootsac.

In the future, I will have a full array lenses, but for now I am quite limited. While I feel I can do a great job with just the 35L and 135L as my primary lenses, I need some form of backups as well. At this point, I simply cannot afford what I want (70-200 2.8 IS II and 16-35) so I have to make due until I can make some more cash from this. A less ideal setup would be a 17-40 and a 100mm macro so that I have wide covered for large groups and the 100mm gives me macro for details as well as portrait if 135L fails.

Well, you hit the nail on the head there. I was going to say not only do you need a backup body, but backup lenses as well.

When I had the 5d2 and the 7d, I didnt like shooting 2 bodies. Now that I have the 5d2 and 5d3, I like it a lot more. I never was real fond of the 7d I guess.

Bryan
Gear List (external link)
San Diego Wedding Photography - Red Tie Photography (external link)
Red Tie Photography Blog (external link)

fotojennik
THREAD ­ STARTER
213 posts
Joined Aug 2011

May 29, 2012 13:18 |  #5

Red Tie Photography wrote in post #14500947 (external link)
Well, you hit the nail on the head there. I was going to say not only do you need a backup body, but backup lenses as well.

When I had the 5d2 and the 7d, I didnt like shooting 2 bodies. Now that I have the 5d2 and 5d3, I like it a lot more. I never was real fond of the 7d I guess.

Exactly. It's something that the client may not notice, but I wouldn't feel comfortable being a paid photographer without having at least some form of back-ups for all of my gear.

So before September rolls around, I am looking to acquire another body and capable backups in the wide and tele lens areas.

I just need to decide if I would be satisfied with a 50D/7D and just shoot only the 5D2 and hope to never need the 50D.
or if I really do want to use 2 bodies each with a prime attached -- in which case I'll want another 5D2 :)

PeaceFire
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 29, 2012 13:20 |  #6

I also am not a huge fan of the 7D, but my husband loves it. And the 5DII and the 7D have very similar IQ so if you are shooting with both cameras they are a good combo. I rarely shoot with two cameras/two lenses (though I have them as a back-up in case I need them!) but at my last wedding I found a need for my 70-200 and rather than lens swap I just slapped it on my 7D and used it to get that extra reach. At that moment, I was happy I had both cameras/lenses.

So if you plan to two camera shoot, get the 7D. If not, get the 50D. Or even a 40D. Then get yourself a back-up lens.

My Gear List / My Blog (external link)

brokensocial
481 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 31, 2012 08:01 |  #7

Easy question for us: another 5D. You could then buy a 50, 35, and 24 with the money you'd have left over, and you'd have a 2 full frame setup. We shot our last wedding with 2 x D700, a 35, a 50, and an 85. That was it. I used the 35 while my wife used the 50 and an 85. I also had a 50 in my bag, but I never used it.

For our first wedding (external link), I basically used a crop camera and a 35 for almost all of it while my wife used a D700 and 35/50 setup.

Depending on your style, just a handful of lenses would be enough. I can tell you easily that if I shot solo and was completely in your shoes, I'd just buy another 5D2 and call it a day, as that would give me two identical full frames, a 35, and a 135, and I'd be just fine shooting any wedding with that setup.

[mike and frida] photography - we shoot stuff.
chicago wedding photography (external link) | chicago wedding photography blog (external link)

fotojennik
THREAD ­ STARTER
213 posts
Joined Aug 2011

May 31, 2012 08:50 |  #8

brokensocial wrote in post #14510586 (external link)
Easy question for us: another 5D. You could then buy a 50, 35, and 24 with the money you'd have left over, and you'd have a 2 full frame setup. We shot our last wedding with 2 x D700, a 35, a 50, and an 85. That was it. I used the 35 while my wife used the 50 and an 85. I also had a 50 in my bag, but I never used it.

For our first wedding (external link), I basically used a crop camera and a 35 for almost all of it while my wife used a D700 and 35/50 setup.

Depending on your style, just a handful of lenses would be enough. I can tell you easily that if I shot solo and was completely in your shoes, I'd just buy another 5D2 and call it a day, as that would give me two identical full frames, a 35, and a 135, and I'd be just fine shooting any wedding with that setup.

I am choosing to get a 5Dc in excellent condition.
It was a no brainer when I thought about it.
I simply can't swing the extra for another 5D2 at this point.
My hope it that next year (wedding season) I will be able to pick up a 5D3 and make my 5D2 the back-up.

The way my lens selection is set up, adding a 1.6x crop body was dumb so the 7D/50D went out the window. Then it came down to $750 for a 5Dc that still makes great images, just lacks some megapixels/video/featu​res, or the 5D2 which is at a very high price right now on the used market at around ~1,700 (seems high to me since I purchased my 5D2 BNIB for 1,800). So for way less than half the cost I went with the 5D.

My current lenses leave me with the 35L and 135L
I am going to upgrade my 50/1.8 to a 50/1.4 and purchase an 85/1.8
Also going to purchase a used 17-40 for those ultra-wide shots that are needed and for very large group portraits should they arise and my 35L isn't wide enough.

Thanks for the input though everyone :)

brokensocial
481 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 31, 2012 13:10 |  #9

fotojennik wrote in post #14510777 (external link)
I went ahead and got a used 5Dc in excellent condition.
It was a no brainer when I thought about it.
I simply can't swing the extra for another 5D2 at this point.
My hope it that next year (wedding season) I will be able to pick up a 5D3 and make my 5D2 the back-up.

The way my lens selection is set up, adding a 1.6x crop body was dumb so the 7D/50D went out the window. Then it came down to $750 for a 5Dc that still makes great images, just lacks some megapixels/video/featu​res, or the 5D2 which is at a very high price right now on the used market at around ~1,700 (seems high to me since I purchased my 5D2 BNIB for 1,800). So for way less than half the cost I went with the 5D.

My current lenses leave me with the 35L and 135L
I am going to upgrade my 50/1.8 to a 50/1.4 and purchase an 85/1.8
Also going to purchase a used 17-40 for those ultra-wide shots that are needed and for very large group portraits should they arise and my 35L isn't wide enough.

Thanks for the input though everyone :)

Yeah, I think you made the right choice. I've said so many times already on this forum that if we shot Canon, we'd simply have bought two 5Ds and called it a day rather than buying two D700s, which are the cheapest way to get to full frame on Nikon right now.

[mike and frida] photography - we shoot stuff.
chicago wedding photography (external link) | chicago wedding photography blog (external link)

davisphotos
190 posts
Joined Aug 2010

May 31, 2012 18:06 |  #10

Good choice, I've shot a lot of weddings with a 5D and a 5DII. And with the 5D, you can feel confident using it as a second camera, not just a just in case backup. You can probably shoot most of the wedding with the 35L on the MarkII and the 135 on the 5D. Very good choice to get a 50 1.4 (keep the 1.8 for backup) and the 85 and 17-40.

Maine Wedding Photographer Andrew Davis (external link)
New England Commercial Photography (external link)
Andrew Davis Photography Blog (external link)

fotojennik
THREAD ­ STARTER
213 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jun 01, 2012 08:24 |  #11

Actually, scratch that!

Happened to check Canon Refurb stock online today and what do you know...5D Mark II was in stock!

I called and used the CLP and placed an order and walked away with another 5D2 for $1490.xx after tax.

Pretty happy about that! Good thing I backed out of the 5Dc I was going to buy (seller insisted on paypal gift but I would never pay that way). Whew.

fotojennik
THREAD ­ STARTER
213 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jun 01, 2012 09:54 |  #12

Plus, if I become cash strapped I can re-sell it down the road and probably still come out even or ahead a bit :)

PhotoMatte
Goldmember
1,707 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 03, 2012 14:35 |  #13

Not a bad price at all. I got my first 5D2 for $1800 and thought that was a steal.

the site (external link)
the blog (external link)
Smugmug (external link)
My gear: Canon, Macintosh, Adobe

fotojennik
THREAD ­ STARTER
213 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jun 03, 2012 18:08 |  #14

PhotoMatte wrote in post #14525236 (external link)
Not a bad price at all. I got my first 5D2 for $1800 and thought that was a steal.

That's what I got my 1st one for too. However, if you use the CLP you get an additional 20% off Canon's refurbished prices, you just have to trade in an older canon camera (I happened to have one laying around). I've heard only good things about Canon's refurbished products.

sponsored links

2,977 views & 0 likes for this thread
Newbie Needs Backup Body
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.