Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 29 May 2012 (Tuesday) 13:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Volkswagen GTI owners!

Hard ­ Drive ­ Disk
485 posts
Joined Jul 2011

May 29, 2012 13:24 |  #1

Hey guys, Im in the market for a new car and have seriously been looking at the VW GTI - m going used 2010 mostlikely, Ive been lusting about the "show photographers rides" So, those who own them, would you buy another? or would you try and sway me to something else?

Gear List
I Love ThinkTank
Is It Normal for Me to Have 7 Camera Bags?

Higgs ­ Boson
Goldmember
1,958 posts
Joined Jan 2011

May 30, 2012 15:04 |  #2

They look cool but VWs are garbage. I live and breathe the auto industry. The only safe car from the whole continent of Europe is Porsche.

A9 | 25 | 55 | 85 | 90 | 135

Traci_Ann
I'm a masochist
3,595 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined May 2005

May 30, 2012 18:40 |  #3

I have worked at a VW dealership for many years and now own my own import repair shop. I agree to some extend with Higgs. I would never buy a VW but if you really want one, avoid the DSG automatic trans. I have not seen too many major failures with the 2.0L turbo engine those have unlike the 1.8L turbo which had failure after failure.

For me it's a love/hate relationship. I love them because they bring me tons of business but hate them cause they really are poor quality.

I strongly disagree with Porsche being the only safe car from Europe. The GTI made the IIHS Top Safest small car list, for whatever that is worth. http://www.iihs.org/ra​tings/default.aspx (external link)

Sevas Tra

Higgs ­ Boson
Goldmember
1,958 posts
Joined Jan 2011

May 31, 2012 08:08 |  #4

I didn't mean safe crash-wise, I meant sanity/repair/reliable​/etc wise.

A9 | 25 | 55 | 85 | 90 | 135

AngryCorgi
-Bouncing Boy- a POTN peion
11,547 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Location: Surrounded by bunnies, squirrels and a couple of crazy corgis in NoVA...

Jun 01, 2012 19:07 |  #5

Loved my 2008 GTI w/ DSG. It's the only non-manual transmission I've been able to tolerate. The only down-side I experienced was the propensity of the vehicle to cup/scallop the hell out of oem summer tires in 20k miles or less. I was rotating ever 5k, but it didn't matter. Fun car, great fuel economy, great engine, great tranny...awful cost of ownership ($1k on tires every 20k miles).

I've owned an 05 STi as well and the GTI was not as fast, but much more pleasant/civilized.

AngryCorgi (external link) (aka Tom) ...Tools...

...Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is knowing not to include it in a fruit salad...

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,041 views & 0 likes for this thread
Volkswagen GTI owners!
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.