Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 29 May 2012 (Tuesday) 15:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sandisk SDHC card question

Shutterwolf
523 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 29, 2012 15:18 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

I am looking at the 45MB/s cards and the 95MB/s cards and wondering if you get much of a boost in write speed from the camera between the 2, or is the 45 good enough and the 95 is just for download speed to the computer?

Also, I am trying to decide between 2 16gb cards or 1 32gb card. I plan on shooting mostly RAW, but also RAW + Jpeg at times, with some video once in a while as well.

Also, I read somewhere that with the video, you can only record up to 4gb at a time on the 60D? Why in the hell would they limit it to 4gb? That doesn't make any sense to me at this point.

Another question... How many pictures can you fit on a 16gb card using RAW only with a 60D? I could probably find that somewhere on google, but it doesn't hurt to just ask someone on here either lol.

Josh
https://www.facebook.c​om/ShutterwolfPhotogra​phy (external link)
60D, 550EX, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 Mark II, Canon 28-135mm IS, 18-55(old), Rebel Xti/400D (for sale)

sponsored links
ShockFactor03
36 posts
Joined Jan 2011

May 29, 2012 16:53 |  #2

I recommend getting the fastest and largest capacity you can afford.

You will notice the difference if you shoot lots of burst shots. I see you have the 60D, and the raw files are approx. 18 - 25.5 megs each. So you hold down the shutter for say, 10 shots, and you have about (10x25=) 250-some megs writing to the card in like 2 secs. The 95MB/s cards will handle that with zero or little buffer lag. You will also transfer data faster, depending on your card reader, or however you transfer your files to a pc.

I have a couple 16G and 32G
SanDisk SDSDRX3-016G-A21
SanDisk SDSDRX3-032G-A21

I'm now using these (I like these a lot)
SanDisk SDSDXPA-064G-A75

The Extreme Pro's are expensive, but they do what they claim so I'm happy.

The video length has to do with FAT table limitations. Newer cameras like the 5D mkIII can record up to 29 mins per shot. I use my 60D for video occasionally. I get approx 8-11 mins, closer to 11, on full HD setting, per shot.

Gear

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
44,608 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

May 29, 2012 19:20 |  #3

Rob Galbraith has been promising test results for memory cards for both the 50D and the 60D for months now. First they were to be published by end April, now the site promises end May.

The 7D is tested with both CF and SDHC. The best CF writes JPG at 45MBytes/sec while the best SDHC writes at 17 MBytes/sec. A 150x memory and a 600x SDHC is no faster than a 133x memory SDHC in write speeds. So it seems that the 7D camera itself is the limiting factor!
The 5DIII is similar, with CF it tests JPG write at 46.8 MB/sec, but with SDHC it tests to only 17MB/sec; with RAW it tests on CF to 80MB/sec but with SDHC it limits at 20MB/sec..
Whether or not the 50D and 60D are any better remains to be seen.

SDHC is handicapped by the fact that it is a serial device (one data line), while CF is parallel port memory (many data lines)

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Shutterwolf
THREAD ­ STARTER
523 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 30, 2012 05:05 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

Ok, well in that case...What is the best deal I can find on a 32GB 45MB/s or 95MB/s card? So far, B&H looks to be the best, unless someone knows of one better.

Josh
https://www.facebook.c​om/ShutterwolfPhotogra​phy (external link)
60D, 550EX, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 Mark II, Canon 28-135mm IS, 18-55(old), Rebel Xti/400D (for sale)

jbrackjr
483 posts
Joined Dec 2011

May 30, 2012 06:50 |  #5

Amazon put the SanDisk Extreme 32GB 45MB/s SDHC Flash Memory Card SDSDX-032G-X46 on sale for $35 on May 22. It is now $39 delivered (if your prime). Adorama and B&H is about $42.

Jim
Gear List

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
44,608 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

May 30, 2012 10:25 |  #6

Shutterwolf wrote in post #14504687 (external link)
Ok, well in that case...What is the best deal I can find on a 32GB 45MB/s or 95MB/s card? So far, B&H looks to be the best, unless someone knows of one better.

Why waste any money on SDHC memory with write speeds faster than 20MB/sec, since the testing by Rob Galbraith has never shown effective speeds higher than that threshold? It might cost more, but there will be no improvement in performance in camera.
Admittedly, memory read speeds could hasten data transfer from memory to PC, if the reader or the PC is not the gating item.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links

2,087 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sandisk SDHC card question
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.