Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
Thread started 31 May 2012 (Thursday) 09:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Think Tank Retrospective 7 "Review"

timnosenzo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,833 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jun 06, 2012 15:17 |  #31

Vixen89 wrote in post #14541069 (external link)
can you confirm the retro 7 fits a gripped 5D2?

I can't, I don't have grips for my cameras. That said, you could probably MAKE it fit, but it's clearly not made for a body + grip. If you need to use a grip, you'd likely be happier with the Retro 10.

connecticut wedding photographer (external link)

sponsored links
Vixen89
Goldmember
4,521 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 06, 2012 15:25 |  #32

timnosenzo wrote in post #14541084 (external link)
I can't, I don't have grips for my cameras. That said, you could probably MAKE it fit, but it's clearly not made for a body + grip. If you need to use a grip, you'd likely be happier with the Retro 10.

Aw thanks ! I've been searching for a really super tiny bag that I can get away with to carry just a gripped 5D2 + 50 1.4 w/ flash. Bare minimum just cause I don't wanna carry my flipside to small gigs. xD

I'm actively lazy!! :D | Gear List | photovxn.com (under construction)external link

hfgarris
Goldmember
1,760 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 06, 2012 15:40 |  #33

Vixen89 wrote in post #14541121 (external link)
Aw thanks ! I've been searching for a really super tiny bag that I can get away with to carry just a gripped 5D2 + 50 1.4 w/ flash. Bare minimum just cause I don't wanna carry my flipside to small gigs. xD

Try a Billingham "Digital Hadley".

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …tal&N=0&Initial​Search=yes (external link)

2mnycars
Goldmember
3,035 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 07, 2012 08:46 |  #34

hfgarris wrote in post #14541183 (external link)
Try a Billingham "Digital Hadley".

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …tal&N=0&Initial​Search=yes (external link)

I can carry my d300s with grip attached and 18-200VR mounted, with a strap. Bag is waterproof. It makes photography easy when I only want to carry one lens but need some protection from pending bad weather. This bag works better with a gripless camera...
There's even room in the pocket on the front for small essentials.

I also use this bag to carry my Sony NEX5 with 2 zoom lenses. There's lots of room left over.

It's a great bag!

Dave

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 07, 2012 20:02 |  #35

nice Tim. Mine just showed up today (in blue!) with the DSLR battery holder. I now have a 7, 10 and LC3. I had a 5 but sold it a while back... I'm actually considering another 5 but we'll see how I like the 7 first. Basically, the 5 would be for my EVIL kit, then either the 7 or 10 will stay for the DSLR kit. The LC3 is my wedding shooting bag. That's all I use it for but I LOVE it for that because the flap covers the accessory section when it's flipped open. I love it for that, and for working out of, but don't like it otherwise.

The one thing I happen to like about the 10 is it's enough deeper it can take 2 lenses in each of the side compartments. But, I'm also a gripless guy, so the camera kinda swims in there a bit. I'm also an 11" air user, so for that reason alone I'm 99% sure I'll migrate from the 10 to a 7 for the big kit. Then I'll probably grab a 5 for the OMD.

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

2mnycars
Goldmember
3,035 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 08, 2012 08:29 |  #36

Ben you keep feeding my bag addiction!
I came back from Cape Cod last year and sold off my Retro 10 that I took on that trip. I keep looking at R5's and R20's...except I bought 2 Billingham bags.
* Hadley Digital--incedible for mirrorless camera kits. (NEX5 with 2 zoom lenses for me); even carries my d300s with grip attached and 18-200VR mounted. tight, but it fits.
* Hadley Pro--doesn't work as well with a gripped camera; so--d300s with 18-200VR mounted; NEX5 and 2 zooms within the bag; 70-300VR left at home, or substituted for the Sony 55-200... It's a great everyday carry bag and best I've had, provided I use a gripless camera.

The cost of Billingham bags is more reasonable for me; whereas the cost of Think Tank bags is thru the roof here. Henry's for an R10 is now almost $223 Cdn, plus 13% tax out the door.

edit: Bless TT for creating good equipment; they appear to be good value at US prices. They cost far more in Canada.

Dave

Tommydigi
Cream of the Crop
5,748 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Joined May 2010

Jun 08, 2012 12:48 |  #37

Well my 7 just came today and its really what I wish the 10 was all along. I don't use a grip so the depth seems better. I always felt the strap was way to thick on the 10 (and perfect on the 5) and since I don't use 2.8 zooms I don't need the slightly taller 10. The dividers even seem a bit firmer which is also a great improvement.

Now that I am getting the new pancake lens I will may keep the 5 as well but the 7 is a great size and will certainly be my main bag.

Website (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)
Fuji X100F • Canon EOS R • 5DII • 7DII • G7XII • 35 1.8 RF • 24LII • 50L • 100L • 135L • 40 STM • 16-35L F4 IS • 100-400L II • 600EX II • 270 EX II

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 09, 2012 20:26 |  #38

loaded it up today with the 11" air, 5Diii w/70-300L, 16-35II, OMD and 45mm (for the oly). Perfect fit. The air does make it a bit stiff on that side, but not terrible. You can also roll it over if you want which helps slightly (so the other side is against your leg). I'm loving this bag with the 70-300L though, it fits perfect where a 70-200 2.8 or 100-400 would only fit off body.

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

Tommydigi
Cream of the Crop
5,748 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 09, 2012 21:43 |  #39

I think the only thing I don't like is I seem to have gotten the runt of the pine stone liter. Lots of white chalky looking scuffs.

Fuji X100F • Canon EOS R • 5DII • 7DII • G7XII • 35 1.8 RF • 24LII • 50L • 100L • 135L • 40 STM • 16-35L F4 IS • 100-400L II • 600EX II • 270 EX II

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 10, 2012 07:27 |  #40

yeah, I"m not a fan of the fabric in the blue or pinestone fabrics. I'll say the blue they sent me this time is MUCH nicer than the pine from the 5, but I still much prefer the smoother black. To me these feel thicker than black which mentally makes the bag heavier that a black version might be. I'll review this one as blue is their new thing, and it DOES look very nice, but then I'm thinking I might sell this and my black 10 then grab a black 7. I will say my blue 7's fabric is very uniform this time where my 5 pine wasn't.

My Gear List

my sites:
GND buyers FAQ

omik
60 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 10, 2012 08:14 |  #41

Hi jacobsen1

You mentioned in your gear list that you converted a Think Tank sling-o-matic 20 to a backpack! Can you tell how did you do it?

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 10, 2012 08:27 |  #42

watch the second video here:
http://www.benjacobsen​photo.com …ing-o-matic-video-review/ (external link)

but basically, you cut off the single strap they give you and put in their backpack straps for the urban disguise series in it's place.

My Gear List

my sites:
GND buyers FAQ

omik
60 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 10, 2012 10:27 |  #43

jacobsen1 wrote in post #14558090 (external link)
watch the second video here:
http://www.benjacobsen​photo.com …ing-o-matic-video-review/ (external link)

but basically, you cut off the single strap they give you and put in their backpack straps for the urban disguise series in it's place.

Thank you :)

Tommydigi
Cream of the Crop
5,748 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 10, 2012 10:37 |  #44

jacobsen1 wrote in post #14557958 (external link)
yeah, I"m not a fan of the fabric in the blue or pinestone fabrics. I'll say the blue they sent me this time is MUCH nicer than the pine from the 5, but I still much prefer the smoother black. To me these feel thicker than black which mentally makes the bag heavier that a black version might be. I'll review this one as blue is their new thing, and it DOES look very nice, but then I'm thinking I might sell this and my black 10 then grab a black 7. I will say my blue 7's fabric is very uniform this time where my 5 pine wasn't.

I really like the PS, to me the black makes the bag seem bigger, I can't really explain why but both are really nice. The black does seem a bit more durable.

My R-7.

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 10, 2012 16:40 |  #45

yeah, I see what you mean.

My Gear List

my sites:
GND buyers FAQ

sponsored links

44,497 views & 0 likes for this thread
Think Tank Retrospective 7 "Review"
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.