Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 03 Jun 2012 (Sunday) 18:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon EOS 3D, will we finally see the unicorn?

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 10, 2012 10:41 |  #61

nekrosoft13 wrote in post #14558413 (external link)
With that price, nikon having a $3000 camera that can compete and probably beat a canons body that cost twice as much. Canon is loosing touch with reality

It'd be the 5D2 vs D3x situation in reverse.

Back then, the D3x had better IQ than the 5D2, but cost three times as much, had the bulky inbuilt grip was totally incapable of ISO 3200 and 6400. Naturally, it didn't sell particularly well.

If Canon release a new, high-resolution body that costs double the D800, with similar resolution, a new sensor design that improves the DR and gets rid of the pattern noise issues and an inbuilt grip, it'd still lose dramatically to the D800. After all, if you can get two similar-performing bodies for the same price... Also, for many candidates for a high-resolution body, particularly landscape photographers for whom weight and space is at a premium, the inbuilt grip is a turnoff. After all, the original EOS-1V didn't have an inbuilt grip, nor do any medium-format bodies.

sponsored links
jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 10, 2012 11:02 |  #62

Hmmm...30 MP? The sensor better be good!

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 10, 2012 12:05 |  #63

If Canon can pull off a 30 MP/40 MP sensor without noise banding, I would buy this over the 5D3.

andrikos
Goldmember
1,905 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jun 10, 2012 12:23 |  #64

even if it was $5k? Why not stick with D800?

Think new Canon lenses are overpriced? Lots (and lots) of data will set you free!

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 10, 2012 12:43 |  #65

jdizzle wrote in post #14558818 (external link)
If Canon can pull off a 30 MP/40 MP sensor without noise banding, I would buy this over the 5D3.

No banding? My God man, this is heresy. If this were the 15th century, you'd be taken out and burned at the stake for even suggesting this. ;)

My prediction is to not anger the 5D3 buyers, this body will be priced in the $7k to $8k range. Canon protects market segments aggressively, and they'll keep doing when this thing is released.

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 10, 2012 13:31 |  #66

rick_reno wrote in post #14558932 (external link)
No banding? My God man, this is heresy. If this were the 15th century, you'd be taken out and burned at the stake for even suggesting this. ;)

My prediction is to not anger the 5D3 buyers, this body will be priced in the $7k to $8k range. Canon protects market segments aggressively, and they'll keep doing when this thing is released.

At that price, among high-resolution buyers, it'd be competing against digital MF. IQ would be judged not against the 5D3 or 1Dx (both action-oriented cameras), but against the D800e, Pentax 645D and Hasselblad H4D-40 - any pattern noise would be unacceptable. And, if they include an inbuilt grip, it wouldn't even have a size advantage over medium format (and would automatically exclude it from consideration among many landscape shooters who travel to more remote and inaccessible regions).

EL_PIC
Goldmember
2,028 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 10, 2012 13:38 |  #67
bannedPermanent ban

Canon Groupies will bend over and buy it even iff it continues to have banding issues at such a price.
As 5D's have marched though the Classic to MK II to MK III the IQ and sharpness have decreased and they continue to sell them.
Heresy Happens ... So Does S ...

EL_PIC - RIT BS Photo '78 - Photomask Engineering Mgr
Canon DSLR - Nikon SLR - Phase One 60MP MFDSLR
http://www.Photo-Image-Creations.com (external link)
http://www.musecube.co​m/el_pic/ (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/PhotoImageCreations (external link)

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 10, 2012 15:57 |  #68

:lol: I understand quite well about protecting the pro series bodies. I simply want resolution. ;)

Echo ­ Johnson
433 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jun 10, 2012 16:36 |  #69

Wookster wrote in post #14544700 (external link)
I think Canon has shoot themselves in the foot with their pricing, despite what folks say.

I'm not quite sure why everyone seems to think so. The 5D Mark III costs about the same as the 5D did when it first came out. Hell, after adjusting for inflation it's probably even slightly cheaper. Yes, I know it's not as revolutionary as the 5D was in 2005, but it occupies the same position in Canon's lineup as its ancestor did.

Shadowblade wrote in post #14558392 (external link)
I couldn't care less whether it supports video or not, so long as the camera remains optimised for stills.

I agree with this, 110%. Canon's focus on video has become more than a little irritating (though the shorty 40 seems nice) to those of us who remain committed to still images rather than moving ones.
The last thing that I personally want is (another?) video-oriented camera that happens to be able to capture stills as well.

Canon 5D3 | 17-40 | 50/1.4 | 135/2
...and other stuff.
Flickr (external link) | EchoJ.deviantART (external link)

Jahled
Goldmember
1,498 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 10, 2012 18:46 |  #70

EL_PIC wrote in post #14558076 (external link)
Video takes away IQ / Sharpness with a stronger AA filter.
Thats major reason why the 5 D C is considered 'classic'
and why the 5 D MK II or MK III will never be regarded as such.
The Nikon 800E is a still photo camera with weak AA.
MF has no video or AA.

^this is utter bull****.

The original 5D is has been tagged the classic because it came first; all that crap about IQ / Sharpness with a stronger AA filter is simply that. The 5D2 and 5D3's are far more formidable cameras, which is why you see them being used by pros far more than ancient bodies like the original 5D.

MF has no video or AA. What the hell does that mean?

James
Snow Leopards of Leafy London- The magic begins 5th November 20:00 hours on Animal Planet :) | Gear

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 10, 2012 18:48 |  #71

andrikos wrote in post #14558884 (external link)
even if it was $5k? Why not stick with D800?

Why can't I have both? :)

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 10, 2012 19:21 |  #72

jdizzle wrote in post #14559992 (external link)

You can...and probably will.

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 11, 2012 02:39 |  #73

I'd also like to see a native ISO less than 100 - 50, 25 or 12. It would help expand the dynamic range, reduce shot noise and improve tonality - great for studio work and landscapes, since you have flash for studio work, and shutter speed often isn't an issue when shooting landscapes. An ISO range of 12-6400 would be perfect.

andrikos
Goldmember
1,905 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jun 11, 2012 03:01 |  #74

jdizzle wrote in post #14559992 (external link)

Of course you can! ;)

Honestly if I were starting out right now (instead of back in 2005 with my XTi) I'd probably choose Nikon after weighing all the pros and cons.

My decision to go with Canon back then was much easier than it would be right now.

Nowadays, I'd call the two giants pretty much even (bodies + lenses + lighting) with a slight edge to Nikon. The edge is so slight I wouldn't bother switching (I'm not a pro). But for pros I can definitely see the need for that very last bit of DR, resolution, noise handling etc. etc. etc.

In my mind there's no reason bickering about which system is better. They both rock. Enjoy your gear and take some awesome photos.

Think new Canon lenses are overpriced? Lots (and lots) of data will set you free!

EL_PIC
Goldmember
2,028 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 11, 2012 14:53 |  #75
bannedPermanent ban

Anyone starting out now should start with Nikon.
The trend over the past several years has been Nikon increasing in tech and reducing cost
while Canon has been decreasing in tech and increasing cost.
New versions of Nikon are savvy - and new versions of Canon are at best poor upgrades.

You can have both now but it trend continues there is no need to have <fill in>.

EL_PIC - RIT BS Photo '78 - Photomask Engineering Mgr
Canon DSLR - Nikon SLR - Phase One 60MP MFDSLR
http://www.Photo-Image-Creations.com (external link)
http://www.musecube.co​m/el_pic/ (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/PhotoImageCreations (external link)

sponsored links

15,796 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon EOS 3D, will we finally see the unicorn?
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.