Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions 
Thread started 05 Jun 2012 (Tuesday) 09:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Before and after 426

Iancentric
714 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 05, 2012 09:03 |  #1

The game will last 4 Days and whoever can produce the best edited image (as judged by me) will be picked and it'll be their turn to post their unedited picture for all of us to take a crack at.

The participants must have their "Image Editing OK" turned on and they must provide at least a simple breakdown of how they edited the image, some entrants are a little vague on this point, please give us all details so we can learn and share tips. For instance if you use the unsharp mask tool or Smart Sharpen, provide us with the adjustments you used so others can try them out.

You can post multiple images, but the first image you post will be the one that is judged - all other images will be considered for knowledge and tip use only.

--Rule change-- Feel free to comment and/or ask questions at any time. This is a good competition for learning new methods, so let's make it a bit more dynamic. I will be judging edits, not comments. Feel free to comment on the original image as well.

If you happen to be the winner of the game please start the next one with the title of the game and the following number. For example…the next game should read "Before & After #427."
Image should appear 1024 pixels on the long side

Game ends Saturday june 9 at 8 am mdt

Adding the raw file is not a requirement. If you win a comp. and would like to post just the jpg that is fine.
Not everyone shoots Raw or uses more complex raw editing software.

click on the pic, it will take you to flickr, where you can download full size jpg.

Anything goes, just have fun with it. Doesn`t have to be serious, but still do your best..

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7095/7156275031_4d79707127_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/08photog/715627​5031/  (external link)
IMG_8227 (external link) by 08photog (external link), on Flickr

Ian
Flickr (external link)
Tumblr (external link)
instagram (external link)

sponsored links
cacawcacaw
Goldmember
2,862 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 05, 2012 15:33 |  #2

All Lightroom, brushed in lots of sharpness, brushed in contrast and tinted saturation for sky. Left the rider's face a bit dark to emphasize the great look on the horse's face.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Edit: That's a stout little horse. No, I can't tell the difference between a horse and a mule.

Replacing my Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24mm, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, and 150-500mm with a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. I still have the 17-55 and the 30 available for sale.

yb98
Goldmember
2,586 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Jun 06, 2012 02:59 |  #3

no raw file ?

Best DPP Threads
DPP++ Video Channel (external link)
New Version DPP++ 11.3 released (external link)

Dawicka2
398 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jun 07, 2012 23:33 |  #4

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1157.photobuck​et.com …wo/horseblackan​dwhite.jpg (external link)

Mask horse and rider onto nyc background. Insert crappy shadow and quick process consisting of curves and light sepia tone.

Magic lantern'd T2i, a 1d2n, 15-85, rokinon 8 and 85mm, nikon 55 f1.2, sigma 24mm f1.8 and Tokina 400mm creeperPrime.

Microsoft ­ Paint
47 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 08, 2012 18:39 |  #5

Do make things a little easier I just screenshotted the adjustments made in lightroom.

IMAGE: http://i45.tinypic.com/2ntcrv4.jpg
IMAGE: http://i47.tinypic.com/2gxpus3.jpg

Blkjpg
60 posts
Joined May 2009

Jun 09, 2012 02:50 as a reply to  @ Microsoft Paint's post |  #6

IMAGE: http://www.folmarphotography.com/photos/i-CvNbfK6/0/O/i-CvNbfK6.jpg

Tonal adjustments (shadows decreased, midtones increased), increased contrast, increased saturation, old photo effect, increased sharpness, increased contrast again, lightened face. I usually don’t use effects in PS, but I thought this had potential. That being said, I wasn’t able to get it quite the way I saw it in my mind…

jpkeokee
31 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 09, 2012 21:01 |  #7

IMAGE: http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/7809/challengel.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://imageshack.us …mages/507/chall​engel.jpg/  (external link) Uploaded with ImageShack.us (external link)

Increase sharpness, Faded out the edges after cropping, adjusted light and contrast, and placed a border around edges.
I'm new to this so please be patient with me..lol!

asay82
160 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 10, 2012 14:22 |  #8

Here is my try...little bit of toning, rotating, sharpness. dodge and burn.
and that is all.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Iancentric
THREAD ­ STARTER
714 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 10, 2012 18:33 |  #9

Sorry I'm late judging, some family stuff came up, and no internet where I ended up.

My pick this week is Dawicka2, i liked that you thought outside the box, liked the processing, one nitpick would be that the horse/rider should have been larger, compare the size or the rider to the manhole cover,

2nd place goes to 'asay82" I really like this on as well, it has that old time feel to it. i also like that you leveledthe shot. If for some unknown reason DAwicka does'nt post up a photo to edit in the next 3 or so days asay82 should post something so we can keep this going..

Many thanks to all of you that took some time to edit and post, maybe this comp is'n't dead yet.

Ian
Flickr (external link)
Tumblr (external link)
instagram (external link)

Dawicka2
398 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jun 10, 2012 22:51 |  #10

WOOHOO! Good call on the manhole cover...

Great job, everyone.

I was also worried about this comp after the dwindling participation.

I guess it just had a little slump. :)

I am posting a new round within the next 20 minutes.

Magic lantern'd T2i, a 1d2n, 15-85, rokinon 8 and 85mm, nikon 55 f1.2, sigma 24mm f1.8 and Tokina 400mm creeperPrime.

sponsored links

2,255 views & 0 likes for this thread
Before and after 426
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.