Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 06 Jun 2012 (Wednesday) 09:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Demb Flip-It vs. ABBC

fotojennik
213 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jun 06, 2012 09:37 |  #1

Just trying to gather some input from users on which they prefer and why (specifically when it comes to use for weddings). If you use something else, feel free to explain.

Pittsburgh Wedding Photographer (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Gear List

sponsored links
DennisW1
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 06, 2012 09:51 |  #2

I like Demb's flash bracket but his flash modifiers just look like cheap pieces of bent plastic to me, something I could make up in my kitchen from old margarine tubs. No offense meant to Joe Demb but I don't see much really unique in his products. And they're not exactly cheap either.

Just ome mans opinion, I'm sure you'll hear the exact opposite from others.

EDIT: Hadn't looked at ABBC but I have about the same opinion. You could make the same thing with a sheet of thin gauge plastic (available from any hobby shop) and a velcro strap or even a rubber band to hold it on your speedlite for a couple bucks. Sorry but the prices being charged for these simple modifiers are outrageous, IMO.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,114 posts
Gallery: 244 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 06, 2012 09:54 |  #3

I like the large rogue flashbender. Its does the same thing as the other two products, but its infinitely flexible in its setup. A quick brush of the fingertips and you can adjust from bouncing most of the light to using the flashbender to kick almost all of the light forward instead.

fotojennik
THREAD ­ STARTER
213 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jun 06, 2012 10:50 |  #4

DennisW1 wrote in post #14539344 (external link)
I like Demb's flash bracket but his flash modifiers just look like cheap pieces of bent plastic to me, something I could make up in my kitchen from old margarine tubs. No offense meant to Joe Demb but I don't see much really unique in his products. And they're not exactly cheap either.

Just ome mans opinion, I'm sure you'll hear the exact opposite from others.

EDIT: Hadn't looked at ABBC but I have about the same opinion. You could make the same thing with a sheet of thin gauge plastic (available from any hobby shop) and a velcro strap or even a rubber band to hold it on your speedlite for a couple bucks. Sorry but the prices being charged for these simple modifiers are outrageous, IMO.

Yeah, I am planning on making a DIY version of either of them...$30 for less then $5 worth of materials is absurd.

Pittsburgh Wedding Photographer (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Gear List

fotojennik
THREAD ­ STARTER
213 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jun 06, 2012 10:54 |  #5

gonzogolf wrote in post #14539366 (external link)
I like the large rogue flashbender. Its does the same thing as the other two products, but its infinitely flexible in its setup. A quick brush of the fingertips and you can adjust from bouncing most of the light to using the flashbender to kick almost all of the light forward instead.

Don't care for it's massive size and $40 price tag

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,114 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 06, 2012 11:01 |  #6

fotojennik wrote in post #14539674 (external link)
Don't care for it's massive size and $40 price tag

Size matters. When you get in a circumstance where you cant bounce and you have to rely on the bounce card to kick light forward you want the biggest reflector you can use. As for the price, cant do much about that.

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,843 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Jun 06, 2012 12:01 |  #7

I like my Demb Flash Diffuser (DFD) Pro: http://www.dembflashpr​oducts.com/diffuser/ (external link)

I'm sure you could make it yourself but I'm not disappointed I bought mine from Demp directly. I also like the Newton FR3 rotating flash bracket. I'm not a professional but Wilt (https://photography-on-the.net/forum/member.p​hp?u=36606) recommended the Newton bracket and I took his advice.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,708 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 06, 2012 12:37 |  #8

I love the Rogue... but it can act as a large sail when you're outdoor in a breeze...

EOS R6’ / 1D X / 1D IV (and the wife has a T4i)
Sig35A, Sig50A, Sig85A, Sig14-24A, Sig24-105A, Sig70-200S, Sig150-600C
100-400L, 100L, 100/2, 300 2.8L, 1.4x II / 2x II
600EX-II X3, 430EX-III X3

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 06, 2012 13:33 |  #9

I use the Rogue.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,472 posts
Gallery: 246 photos
Best ofs: 12
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 06, 2012 13:35 |  #10

I also use the Rogue. I have the set, but mainly use the small and the bounce card.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 06, 2012 14:43 |  #11

Size matters - I use a wall. I don't use on camera diffusers, I use off camera light.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,472 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 06, 2012 14:57 |  #12

tim wrote in post #14540916 (external link)
Size matters - I use a wall. I don't use on camera diffusers, I use off camera light.

You don't always have that option, which is why I keep one in my bag. Nothing like walking into a room with black walls and a black ceiling. ;)

500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,114 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 06, 2012 14:59 |  #13

Scatterbrained wrote in post #14540968 (external link)
You don't always have that option, which is why I keep one in my bag. Nothing like walking into a room with black walls and a black ceiling. ;)

My last wedding was on a patio with no walls and a black canopy for ceiling. No place to put off camera lights. Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and make do with what you have.

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,472 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 06, 2012 15:38 |  #14

gonzogolf wrote in post #14540980 (external link)
My last wedding was on a patio with no walls and a black canopy for ceiling. No place to put off camera lights. Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and make do with what you have.

exactly. When the option is bare flash or bounce card, I'll take the bounce card. ;)

500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)

jamiewexler
Goldmember
2,021 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jun 06, 2012 15:54 |  #15

I'm a big fan of the Demb Flip-It. The big thing it has going for it IMHO is the hinge, which allows me to control the amount of light going forward. I use mine all of the time when there is not a convenient wall to bounce from.

Massachusetts Wedding Photographer (external link)
My blog (external link)
my facebook (external link)
my gear

sponsored links

7,945 views & 0 likes for this thread
Demb Flip-It vs. ABBC
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.