Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 06 Jun 2012 (Wednesday) 09:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Demb Flip-It vs. ABBC

bigarchi
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 06, 2012 17:08 |  #16

jamiewexler wrote in post #14541251 (external link)
I'm a big fan of the Demb Flip-It. The big thing it has going for it IMHO is the hinge, which allows me to control the amount of light going forward. I use mine all of the time when there is not a convenient wall to bounce from.

ditto

i have one for me and one for my wife. although it may be $30 for $5 worth of material,
it looks a lot more professional than anything I could make for $5!

my problem with putting anything on the flash is my goodness the combo get's so long.
from the bottom of the grip, to the tip of the flash modifier it is so long,
i knocked a champagne flute off the head table this past saturday :(

i was chimping or something, someone tapped my shoulder and I turned and crack!

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

sponsored links
nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,737 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 06, 2012 17:18 |  #17

I have 2 Demp Flip-it cards. Great product.

jamiewexler
Goldmember
2,021 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jun 06, 2012 18:14 |  #18

I also have a rogue flashbender and never use it. What I like about the Demb is that I can fold it out of the way when I am not using it, but flip it up in a second when I need it. The rogue doesn't fold easily out of the way.

Massachusetts Wedding Photographer (external link)
My blog (external link)
my facebook (external link)
my gear

JohnThomas
401 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 06, 2012 23:24 |  #19

Anyone a fan of Gary Fong products?

I considered a Flip-It but decided on a Gary Fong Half-Cloud Diffuser. This product doesn't let you control bounce like the Flip-It does, but it does a nice job of softening the light when you can't bounce.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …versal_Inverted​_Dome.html (external link)

You can call me JT
jsantiniphotography.co​m

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,113 posts
Gallery: 244 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 07, 2012 09:25 |  #20

JohnThomas wrote in post #14543046 (external link)
Anyone a fan of Gary Fong products?

but it does a nice job of softening the light when you can't bounce.

No!! And no it doesnt. In order to soften the light, it would need to make the light source larger and it simply doesnt do that. The fong products only work when you have nearby bounce surfaces, without that, they only eat battery power. Do yourself a favor and do some actual test shots. The fong, absent a bounce surface, doesnt soften anything.

JohnThomas
401 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 07, 2012 09:34 as a reply to  @ gonzogolf's post |  #21

I've been using it with nice results though. Instead of direct flash when you can't bounce, the cone fills with light and turns into a much larger source of light. Needless to say, it's no softbox, but its more surface area than a bare flash head.

I'm going to buy a Flip-It now though, I'm curious to compare.

I'll take some compairson shots tonight with the cloud diffuser and post. I'm in NY.

You can call me JT
jsantiniphotography.co​m

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,113 posts
Gallery: 244 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 07, 2012 09:39 |  #22

JohnThomas wrote in post #14544521 (external link)
I've been using it with nice results though. Instead of direct flash when you can't bounce, the cone fills with light and turns into a much larger source of light. Needless to say, it's no softbox, but its more surface area than a bare flash head.

I'm going to buy a Flip-It now though, I'm curious to compare.

I'll take some compairson shots tonight with the cloud diffuser and post. I'm in NY.

Its just over twice the size of the bare flash, not enough to make a difference more than a few feet away from the camera. You cant defy physics. We all want the fong device to work, but repeated tests show it really doesnt. For most people it lowers the flash exposure a bit and they confuse brightness for softness.

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
11,752 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 07, 2012 12:39 |  #23

jamiewexler wrote in post #14541251 (external link)
I'm a big fan of the Demb Flip-It. The big thing it has going for it IMHO is the hinge, which allows me to control the amount of light going forward. I use mine all of the time when there is not a convenient wall to bounce from.

Ditto

I know you can make these. But in my opinion 99% of the DIY's look like Krapola. The demb flips are just easy and they look professional. Im a professional and the last thing I want is some 3x5 card with a rubber band hanging from my camera. Perception is reality here.

But Tim is right a wall is the best way to go. But i like the ceiling and the flip. Just looks better to my eyes. If high ceilings then i put on an omni bounce and put the flip on behind it to throw the spread forward.....it works great.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

fotojennik
THREAD ­ STARTER
213 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jun 07, 2012 13:36 |  #24

I went ahead and just ordered a Demb Flip-It rather than try and make an ugly DIY version.

Pittsburgh Wedding Photographer (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Gear List

JohnThomas
401 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 07, 2012 13:59 |  #25

fotojennik wrote in post #14545732 (external link)
I went ahead and just ordered a Demb Flip-It rather than try and make an ugly DIY version.

Me too. I ordered the mega size with a diffuser. I'm going to compare it to my gary fong diffuser tomorrow evening once it arrives.

Much excite :D

You can call me JT
jsantiniphotography.co​m

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
11,752 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 07, 2012 17:42 |  #26

JohnThomas wrote in post #14545826 (external link)
Me too. I ordered the mega size with a diffuser. I'm going to compare it to my gary fong diffuser tomorrow evening once it arrives.

Much excite :D

The fong dong is good in a dark trashcan where nobody can see it:eek::lol:

I use the one i baught 4 yrs ago as a pencil holder to remind myself not to jump at every gimmick that comes along. You will love the demb flips. Great little product.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

bigarchi
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 07, 2012 20:21 |  #27

umphotography wrote in post #14546799 (external link)
The fong dong is good in a dark trashcan where nobody can see it:eek::lol:

I use the one i baught 4 yrs ago as a pencil holder to remind myself not to jump at every gimmick that comes along. You will love the demb flips. Great little product.

HAHA, mine is used for loose change! lol

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

G..
190 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 09, 2012 00:16 as a reply to  @ bigarchi's post |  #28

Demb flip it for me but I take off that diffuser thing that it comes with for the front. As stated by Tim and others, I prefer a wall if poss but the hinged card tucks out of the way when not in use.

I have two, and the white square reflector has cracked or torn and so I drilled out the rivets that fix the reflector to the hinge and cut up a white plastic tray from Ikea and used small nuts and bolts to re fix - it now looks better than the original.

A British Photographer in Paphos
www.paphosweddingphoto​graphy.com (external link)
www.facebook.com/papho​sweddingphotography (external link)

JohnThomas
401 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 09, 2012 08:57 |  #29

I think we're all comparing two different situations. I only use a diffuser when I'm outside and can't bounce, where the alternative is direct, bare flash.

When I'm inside, I am lucky enough to be able to bounce off white walls/ceilings. I haven't encountered black walls/ceilings yet.

My Flip-It came yesterday. As soon as I can pull my wife aside for a few minutes I'm going to take some shots with the Flip-It, Lightsphere and Sto-Fen.

You can call me JT
jsantiniphotography.co​m

JohnThomas
401 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 09, 2012 17:07 |  #30

Here's the results of my flash diffuser testing. While there may be *minor* differences in softness, I was most surprised by the differences in flash exposure. I would have thought that since the flash was in ETTL mode that I would have seen the same flash intensity across all three diffusers, but that obviously ins't true.

As gonzo noted earlier, these pictures may confirm that some people are confusing flash brightness with softness.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
MIME changed to 'text/html' | Content warning: script

ALL 3 SHOTS:
5D mkII 24-70
580EX II (on-camera)
1/80, f/8, ISO 100
RAW conversion in Lightroom 3

Flash Settings:
ETTL

Post Processing:
White balance 5500
Camera Profile: Canon Faithful

100% Crops:

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

You can call me JT
jsantiniphotography.co​m

sponsored links

7,937 views & 0 likes for this thread
Demb Flip-It vs. ABBC
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.