Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 06 Jun 2012 (Wednesday) 20:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

best inexpensive place to get prints (help)

Shutterwolf
523 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 06, 2012 20:45 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

I am looking for the best place to get prints made up. Have found a couple online places, but i was wondering what the best one is for the price. I only need a small size right now, but would like to use 1 company for everything when i do need other, larger sizes. Only thing I have available locally is a Costco, and I have heard mixed reviews on if they are any good or not. Thank you in advance for your feedback, and I need this ASAP

Josh
https://www.facebook.c​om/ShutterwolfPhotogra​phy (external link)
60D, 550EX, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 Mark II, Canon 28-135mm IS, 18-55(old), Rebel Xti/400D (for sale)

sponsored links
Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,506 posts
Gallery: 263 photos
Best ofs: 12
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 06, 2012 20:51 |  #2

If you need cheap, I would put Costco at the top of the quick develop places.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Wallpap3r
383 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 06, 2012 21:06 |  #3

Costco for sure. Prints are great as long as you take steps to ensure that your color is reproduced correctly. My only complaint with them is that they dont print larger than 20x30 except for panoramas

Flickr (external link)
40D || 50 1.8 II || 18-55IS || 85 1.8 || 430EXII || YN560 x2 || Cheap umbrellas x2 || QBox 24 || Cheap macro crap

PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jun 06, 2012 22:20 |  #4

Shutterwolf wrote in post #14542404 (external link)
Only thing I have available locally is a Costco, and I have heard mixed reviews on if they are any good or not.

Mine is great, so you should try them first.

Don't use fast upload.
Don't use the mail option, as Costco doesn't print those.
Turn Autocorrect off. It's just before clicking on "Place Order" at the end.

Each store has their own profile, & they're updated about once a year. Mine does it in the Fall. Click on the locations at the left in: http://www.drycreekpho​to.com/Frontier/index.​html (external link)

If you use Image> Mode / Convert to profile, uncheck the ICC profile box at the bottom when you File> "Save As"

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Shutterwolf
THREAD ­ STARTER
523 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 06, 2012 23:57 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

I dont need super cheap, i need best quslity that isnt going to cost me 10 bucks a print lol. She just wants 5x7s for now, but may want bigger once she gets those.

Josh
60D, 550EX, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 Mark II, Canon 28-135mm IS, 18-55(old), Rebel Xti/400D (for sale)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 07, 2012 03:45 |  #6

Shutterwolf wrote in post #14543160 (external link)
I dont need super cheap, i need best quslity that isnt going to cost me 10 bucks a print lol. She just wants 5x7s for now, but may want bigger once she gets those.

Go to Costco, get some prints, and I'll bet you'll be happy, but turn "auto correction" off if you have done editing to your photos, and be prepared to turn your monitor brightness down if your prints are too dark!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Shutterwolf
THREAD ­ STARTER
523 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 07, 2012 04:37 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

Ok, let me rephrase my question lol... If I am not happy with Costco's prints, what is the best online service to use? Even if I don't use it, I want to have this information for future possible use. lol

Josh

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,119 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 07, 2012 05:47 |  #8

Shutterwolf wrote in post #14543758 (external link)
what is the best online service to use? Even if I don't use it, I want to have this information for future possible use. lol

I'm curious as well. I had some prints done at the local grocery last weekend and while they looked OK, you could tell they weren't of very high quality. I know WalMart also has the instant photos as well as one day prints and have not yet tried them. I have found if you wait, the prints are generally better.

I have been scanning the magazines for on line sources to add to my favorites but would really like to know what others use.

You-by-Lou
Goldmember
1,691 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jun 07, 2012 06:21 |  #9

I have had great success with Adorama
http://www.adoramapix.​com/app/products/print​s (external link)
Someone contacts you via email right away to boot and you can actually banter about concerns and questions about the prints.

You may say I'm a Zoomer, But I'm not the only one
Canon 5D mkIII
135L my new favorite

JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
6,744 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Jun 07, 2012 10:18 |  #10

Also, MPix is nice and easy. Nice quality.

Shane
flickr (external link)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,506 posts
Gallery: 263 photos
Best ofs: 12
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 07, 2012 12:32 |  #11

Go with BayPhoto. Don't take my word for it, here is a link to the comparison SmugMug did of several different print houses (Bay, Miller/Mpix, ProDPI, WHCC):http://www.smugmug.com …/pro-print-labs-compared/ (external link)

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Jerb
105 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 08, 2012 10:26 |  #12

A second vote for mpix.com, they're great!

Gripped 7D // Gripped 5Dc // Gripped 5D mkIII ||50mm 1.4 | 85mm 1.8 |135L | 10-22 | 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 IS | Alien Bees B800 x2 | Alien Bees B400 x2| Waay too many Cybersync Triggers | 6x Yongnuo YN-560 II

sponsored links

2,387 views & 0 likes for this thread
best inexpensive place to get prints (help)
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.