Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 08 Jun 2012 (Friday) 02:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 60d & canon hdg10 match...

liverpool ­ 1
83 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 08, 2012 02:06 |  #1

Anyone matching the 60d with the hfg10 camcorder canon. Any tips on the picture settings. Cheers Steve

www.captureyourmoments​weddingvideo.com (external link)

sponsored links
StaticMedia
875 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 08, 2012 09:11 |  #2

I have a 60D and have looked at a G10. The lens on my 60D is hard to beat, but the G10 would be great for a secondary run-and-gun type of camera. A combination of an HD video cam and a DSLR for a kit is a great one. The DOF is always gonna be better with a manual lens but the sensor comparison is not bad for the G10.

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=jTHJRgw4WDE (external link)

liverpool ­ 1
THREAD ­ STARTER
83 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 08, 2012 10:26 |  #3

StaticMedia wrote in post #14549739 (external link)
I have a 60D and have looked at a G10. The lens on my 60D is hard to beat, but the G10 would be great for a secondary run-and-gun type of camera. A combination of an HD video cam and a DSLR for a kit is a great one. The DOF is always gonna be better with a manual lens but the sensor comparison is not bad for the G10.

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=jTHJRgw4WDE (external link)

Thanks StaticMedia i have one on order and trying to find out anyone got the two for the colour match, i will have a play around if no one answers.. cheers

StaticMedia
875 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 08, 2012 11:21 |  #4

liverpool 1 wrote in post #14550200 (external link)
Thanks StaticMedia i have one on order and trying to find out anyone got the two for the colour match, i will have a play around if no one answers.. cheers

No problem, I havent looked into the G10 menu's much other than at the camera store ,but im thinking it has a manual white balance adjustment. It would be a cool experiment to set both cameras at the same WB value and try to match the exposure and see how close they are. For example if the 60D is on 4000k then set the G10 on 4000k, and adjust the other settings accordingly. If you happen to try it make us a vid. I would like to see how close the color is as well.

liverpool ­ 1
THREAD ­ STARTER
83 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 08, 2012 15:54 as a reply to  @ StaticMedia's post |  #5

Will do. Got three weddingds films to get out first but will post soon... Thanks

www.captureyourmoments​weddingvideo.com (external link)

StaticMedia
875 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 08, 2012 16:32 |  #6

Sweet, Good luck m8. I will be interested to see what people can get out of the G10. I went around in circles with that camera before buying my 60D mainly because the 60 was cheaper and had so much to offer. They both have their perks though...and I still want an HD video cam for other uses. They are so much better for run-and-gun action and high speed movements etc.. I got spoiled on the one I used in college which was a Sony Pmw-EX1 right when it came out. Just wish I had 6 grand for one of those too! but then again I could go on for ages about what camera I want.

liverpool ­ 1
THREAD ­ STARTER
83 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 08, 2012 17:14 as a reply to  @ StaticMedia's post |  #7

Ye your right there are times when I cannot physically use all the 60d running and gunning. Weddings are hard! You can miss so much all Dslr. My old hv40s have helped me out many times. Hehehe.
Would like a couple of fx100/300 but to expensive, but I do love the Dslr look when I have time in the reception mingling... Bokeh...

sspellman
Goldmember
1,731 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 09, 2012 08:46 |  #8

Besides matching the 24p frame rates and low aperture on both cameras, you will have far more flexibility adjusting color and contrast in post editing rather than in camera.

ScottSpellmanMedia.com [photography]

liverpool ­ 1
THREAD ­ STARTER
83 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 09, 2012 09:38 as a reply to  @ sspellman's post |  #9

Thanks sspellman, yes i do that anyway but i like to get it near match so it only takes some minor adjustment in the edit room, as i am the lower price bracket for my work so less time less pay...

sspellman
Goldmember
1,731 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 09, 2012 14:32 |  #10

If you don't have a requirement for long recording time, then the best option is another cheaper Canon DSLR such as a used T2i. DSLRs and camcorders will never look similar.

liverpool ­ 1
THREAD ­ STARTER
83 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 09, 2012 17:41 |  #11

Agreed and another 60d and lens same price as camcorder but to be honest in my weddings running and gunning is hard with Dslr. Not that I can't do it as I have filmed many weddings alone with two Dslr but it's the moments missed by setting up the shot. Camcorder let it roll and viola...

sspellman
Goldmember
1,731 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 09, 2012 18:05 |  #12

Just use the same technique of the camcorder on a tripod with a remote wireless trigger. The recordings will max out at 30 min or less, but the low light performance of any Canon DSLR will be much better than the camcorder.

liverpool ­ 1
THREAD ­ STARTER
83 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 10, 2012 03:55 |  #13

sspellman wrote in post #14556048 (external link)
Just use the same technique of the camcorder on a tripod with a remote wireless trigger. The recordings will max out at 30 min or less, but the low light performance of any Canon DSLR will be much better than the camcorder.

Good idea for when i am on my own other wise i have my son and dad on other cams.. But good shout thanks... Will possibly get another 60d then, and just hold back selling my hv40 for now just in case???

sponsored links

1,697 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 60d & canon hdg10 match...
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.