Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 08 Jun 2012 (Friday) 11:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help choosing a new Telephoto Zoom

MattPharmD
255 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 08, 2012 11:52 |  #1

Hey Guys,
I currently have a Sigma 70-300 that I first purchased along with my Rebel 2000. I am really thinking it is time to upgrade this lens to something with IS. I first considered replacing it with a newer 70-300, but I have decided that I have a little more money to spend for this glass. I know that this question is asked once a week, but I feel like I need to ask myself.

So here are my options.

The Canon 70-200 F4L IS + the 1.4TC With the mind to buy a 100-400 much later.
The Sigma 70-200 F2.8 OS + a 2xTC (Sigma) with the idea that I might be able to upgrade to the Canon 2.8 SOMEDAY

I like the idea of the Sigma for a couple of reasons. I am not one who really wants a white lens just to stand out. I also like the faster shutter speeds that 2.8 will give me for stoping motion (kids). I also like the ability to extend my current FL all the way to 400 instead of just 300 (well, 280). These two options both cost the same amount, but I am thinking the Sigma might serve me for longer. I am concerned about AF speed of the Sigma both with and without the TC.

So, anyone got any suggestions?

Photography is just a hobby for me.
Twitter: @PharmNerdMatt (external link)
Youtube:The PharmNerd (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,171 posts
Gallery: 263 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 08, 2012 11:59 |  #2

I'm not sure that you are going to be happy with the 2x regardless of what lens you put it on. The aversion to white lenses is a silly consideration. I love my canon f4IS, and I have no experience with the sigma. The canon is canon's second sharpest zoom lens and is a well built machine.

Scott ­ M
Goldmember
3,269 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Joined May 2008

Jun 08, 2012 12:55 |  #3

What are you going to shoot with the lens? Outdoor sports, indoor sports, portraits, general wildlife, birds? The best choice will depend on the application.

Photo Gallery (external link)
Gear List

MattPharmD
THREAD ­ STARTER
255 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 08, 2012 13:06 |  #4

I am planning to use this for a variety of things. I do plan on using tis for both wildlife and some birds. However, kids make all of the others a distinct possibility. True portaits are probably the least likely. The idea that this will be an action lens is one of the things leaning me toward the 2.8. But it also makes me wonder about autofocus speed.

Photography is just a hobby for me.
Twitter: @PharmNerdMatt (external link)
Youtube:The PharmNerd (external link)

Scott ­ M
Goldmember
3,269 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Joined May 2008

Jun 08, 2012 14:57 |  #5

The 70-200 f/2.8 with a 1.4x TC will cover your action needs plus be useful for some wildlife (using the TC). However, for serious wildlife you will probably want at least 400mm (so the 100-400L), and definitely need at least that for birding. So the primary question should be what is most important to you first?

Photo Gallery (external link)
Gear List

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

928 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help choosing a new Telephoto Zoom
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.