Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 08 Jun 2012 (Friday) 23:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do you leave you L-Plate or Grip on your camera?

xeodragon
THREAD ­ STARTER
287 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jun 09, 2012 14:22 |  #31

Tommydigi wrote in post #14554892 (external link)
So no issues using it with the RRS plate ? I don't mind paying the premium if it works. I tried a cheap hand strap and it was ok and all. I just don't care for hanging the camera off my neck anymore.

No issues here Tommy. I actually took my neck strap off and trying hand strap only - and I actually prefer it alot!

sponsored links
Brendo666
Goldmember
1,538 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 09, 2012 14:34 |  #32

I use a RRS L bracket on my 1D, I will always own an L bracket now. No added awkwardness when gripping as it is on the left side of the camera and I hold the camera in my right, just as everybody else does. When supporting the weight with my left hand it is under the lens so I can zoom if needed. The only added bulk is when shooting off tripod in portrait orientation but since built in grips are slightly thinner than the standard grip the bracket evens it out a bit and makes it feel more like the normal grip.

-Brendan B.
Graphic Designer | Photographer
5D III | 5D III | Σ 35 1.4 Art | 35 1.4L | 85 1.8 | 100 2.8L | 135 2L
Website (external link) | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | Instagram (external link)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 09, 2012 14:39 |  #33
bannedPermanent ban

Jon wrote in post #14555252 (external link)
Right. I don't need to hold the camera bottom or the left side. The camera/lens rests on my left hand, with the weight balanced on it, but I'm not "gripping" the camera, or the clamp, with either hand. That is, by the way, the recommended manner of holding your camera and has been for many years. So it doesn't matter to me whether it's there or not as far as holding the camera. Now tell me how you end up "gripping" the clamp, since it "adds awkwardness" (your words, which you've avoided justifying).

I guess to each their own. If you like having excess weight and bulk when not needed, who am I to complain...after all it is you that needs to deal with it. I take the 10 seconds to take my plate off if I have no intention of using a tripod and store the plate on the shelf like always so I don't lose it.

I guess I'll turn it around on you. How do you justify keeping the L- plate attached if you don't have a tripod with you. And why don't you then just keep your flash always attached as well?

Tommydigi
Cream of the Crop
5,620 posts
Gallery: 53 photos
Joined May 2010

Jun 09, 2012 14:41 |  #34

Thanks I am going to give one a try

Website (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)
Canon 5DII • 7DII • G7XII • 24LII • 50L • 100L • 135L • 40 STM • 16-35L F4 IS • 100-400L II • 600EX II • 270 EX II

xeodragon
THREAD ­ STARTER
287 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jun 09, 2012 15:02 |  #35

Tommydigi wrote in post #14555498 (external link)
Thanks I am going to give one a try

You'll like it alot! If you have an L-plate and/or grip and don't like neck straps, I think the Markins hand strap would be perfect.

Tommydigi
Cream of the Crop
5,620 posts
Gallery: 53 photos
Joined May 2010

Jun 09, 2012 15:19 |  #36

I don't have an L plate just the regular RRS plate on both cameras. I end up wrapping the neck strap around my hand so this should be much better and less bulky

Website (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)
Canon 5DII • 7DII • G7XII • 24LII • 50L • 100L • 135L • 40 STM • 16-35L F4 IS • 100-400L II • 600EX II • 270 EX II

xeodragon
THREAD ­ STARTER
287 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jun 09, 2012 15:35 |  #37

Tommydigi wrote in post #14555606 (external link)
I don't have an L plate just the regular RRS plate on both cameras. I end up wrapping the neck strap around my hand so this should be much better and less bulky

Definitely. Regular RRS plate works just as good!

klr.b
Goldmember
2,509 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 09, 2012 16:03 |  #38

Hogloff wrote in post #14555493 (external link)
I guess to each their own. If you like having excess weight and bulk when not needed, who am I to complain...after all it is you that needs to deal with it. I take the 10 seconds to take my plate off if I have no intention of using a tripod and store the plate on the shelf like always so I don't lose it.

I guess I'll turn it around on you. How do you justify keeping the L- plate attached if you don't have a tripod with you. And why don't you then just keep your flash always attached as well?

Here's my take on it. I leave my QR plate on at all times because if I need my tripod I can set it up in seconds. Attaching the plate every time would take time. Time can be critical for some and may mean a missed shot. Personally, if I had to attach and remove the plate every time I used a tripod, I wouldn't use the tripod as often; I'd probably just grab a lens with IS.

About the flash, ever since the 580exII, it literally takes a second to mount a flash.

gordon
Gear and Feedback

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 09, 2012 16:18 |  #39
bannedPermanent ban

klr.b wrote in post #14555711 (external link)
Here's my take on it. I leave my QR plate on at all times because if I need my tripod I can set it up in seconds. Attaching the plate every time would take time. Time can be critical for some and may mean a missed shot. Personally, if I had to attach and remove the plate every time I used a tripod, I wouldn't use the tripod as often; I'd probably just grab a lens with IS.

About the flash, ever since the 580exII, it literally takes a second to mount a flash.

When I take my tripod with me, basically landscape photography, my L-plate is put onto my camera and left there. When I go out without my tripod, events or street shooting, I leave my L-plate at home. I see zero reason to take my L-plate if I will not be bringing my tripod. I see many reasons not to bring the L-plate if my tripod is at home.

Seems black and white to me. No tripod, no L-plate. If I have my tripod, then I have my L-plate.

klr.b
Goldmember
2,509 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 09, 2012 17:17 |  #40

^^^ So do you remove the tripod collars off your long lenses as well?

gordon
Gear and Feedback

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 09, 2012 18:34 |  #41
bannedPermanent ban

klr.b wrote in post #14555925 (external link)
^^^ So do you remove the tripod collars off your long lenses as well?

Longest I have is the 300 f4, and yes if I am only going to be hand holding for the day, the collar gets taken off and left at home. I see zero value leaving it on if I am not going to be using a tripod. Do you leave yours on and if so why? What value does it add to your photography if you are not using a tripod?

I've given my reasons for taking off the L-plates and tripod collars when not using a tripod...I'd love to hear why people leave them on. The only reason given so far is that person is scared of losing the L-plate if he takes it off the camera, which to me is a very lame reason.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jun 09, 2012 18:40 |  #42

You misquote. And the only reason you've given is that the couple of ounces will overburden you, which strikes most of us as lame squared.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 09, 2012 18:53 |  #43
bannedPermanent ban

Jon wrote in post #14556169 (external link)
You misquote. And the only reason you've given is that the couple of ounces will overburden you, which strikes most of us as lame squared.

1. Extra weight with zero added functionality.
2. Extra bulk with zero added functionality.
3. Reduced ergonomics with zero added functionality.
4. Tighter fit and harder to manage in my bag with zero added funtionality.

There are some of the reasons why I take my L-plate off if I have no plans of using a tripod. Now Jon, other than being scared of losing the L-plate if you take it off your camera...what other benefits do you see always keeping the L-plate on your camera even if you have no intention of using the plate.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jun 09, 2012 18:56 |  #44

Sounds like you're describing a grip, to me. And don't try to tell me about the shutter release. It's on the wrong end for me. Give it up.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 09, 2012 19:06 |  #45
bannedPermanent ban

Jon wrote in post #14556207 (external link)
Sounds like you're describing a grip, to me. And don't try to tell me about the shutter release. It's on the wrong end for me. Give it up.

I guess you cannot come up with any good reason for keeping the L-plate on when you have no plans of using a tripod. Thats fine with me. Not losing the L-plate because it's always attached to your camera is a good enough reason for me.:lol:

sponsored links

5,362 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do you leave you L-Plate or Grip on your camera?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.