Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 08 Jun 2012 (Friday) 23:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do you leave you L-Plate or Grip on your camera?

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jun 09, 2012 19:20 |  #46

Well, if you'd been paying attention, you would have seen that my flash bracket uses the L bracket too. Guess you always know exactly what you'll need, and never miss a photo because you didn't have the right gear. In which case, you must have a seriously restricted vision. I'll bet you don't carry a spare battery because you don't expect to need one, either, and it weighs so much. That's sure the impression you're giving us.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

sponsored links
Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 09, 2012 19:28 |  #47
bannedPermanent ban

Jon wrote in post #14556287 (external link)
Well, if you'd been paying attention, you would have seen that my flash bracket uses the L bracket too. Guess you always know exactly what you'll need, and never miss a photo because you didn't have the right gear. In which case, you must have a seriously restricted vision. I'll bet you don't carry a spare battery because you don't expect to need one, either, and it weighs so much. That's sure the impression you're giving us.

Now you are just being stupid. I know exactly when I will need the L-plate. If I don't bring the tripod...why the hell should I bring the L-plate? I see no valid reason to keep the L-plate attached if there is zero chance of using it.

As far as restricted vision goes, I know exactly what I am after when I venture out and I bring the right gear to capture the photos I am after. I don't bring along the kitchen sink just in case, as doing so would imply YOU don't have a vision when you leave for a shoot and bring everything along just in case.

So I take it you really don't have any good reasons to keep the L-plate always on your camera.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jun 09, 2012 19:33 |  #48

If you know exactly what you'll find when you set out, congratulations. Nobody here can tell you anything. You obviously know everything. Personally, I expect to be surprised wherever I go. Hence, I'm ready to use flash, an anchor (which may not be a tripod), or a hand-held rig whenever I set out.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 09, 2012 20:19 |  #49
bannedPermanent ban

Jon wrote in post #14556320 (external link)
If you know exactly what you'll find when you set out, congratulations. Nobody here can tell you anything. You obviously know everything. Personally, I expect to be surprised wherever I go. Hence, I'm ready to use flash, an anchor (which may not be a tripod), or a hand-held rig whenever I set out.

Yes, with landscapes I have the photo already in my mind. Only the light needs to come through. Shooting events, I know the shots I want to get. I know the venue ahead of the time and bring the appropriate gear for that venue. I don't lug around a bunch of gear just in case.

Still no reason to keep the L-plate attached if you have no plans for using it. Sort of like I don't lug my 300 f4 lens to a low light event...just in case, because I know I don't need it and it is a waste of weight and space...very much like the L-plate when I know I will not use it.

Jon, I am done here. I've given you ample opportunity to justify leaving the L-plate always on your camera and the only reason you come up with is that you are afraid of losing the L-plate if you take it off your camera. I guess that is reason enough for you.:lol:

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jun 09, 2012 20:27 |  #50

Seems you haven't been reading. My main reason for leaving the L plate on is that I dont know when I won't need it. I'm happy for you that you've never needed a tripod when you didn't think you would. Or a flash bracket (which, though you've done your best to ignore it, I've repeatedly mentioned as one of the uses for my L bracket). My RRS flash bracket plus RRS L bracket (on camera) takes up less space than any separate L bracket I've had. Wake up and smell the coffee.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels

klr.b
Goldmember
2,509 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 09, 2012 20:46 |  #51

Hogloff wrote in post #14556153 (external link)
Longest I have is the 300 f4, and yes if I am only going to be hand holding for the day, the collar gets taken off and left at home. I see zero value leaving it on if I am not going to be using a tripod. Do you leave yours on and if so why? What value does it add to your photography if you are not using a tripod?

I've given my reasons for taking off the L-plates and tripod collars when not using a tripod...I'd love to hear why people leave them on. The only reason given so far is that person is scared of losing the L-plate if he takes it off the camera, which to me is a very lame reason.

Well, I've only got the 70-200II, but if I had a bigger lens, I'd use the foot of the lens collar as a handle. I'm not using a strap right now, but I find that with the foot rotated around to about 3 o'clock, the tips of my fingers fit rather nicely between the top of the foot and the lens barrel. It just feels a bit more secure, especially without a strap. Depending on which strap I go with, the lens collar might be the mounting point.

I don't have an L plate on my 7D, but the QR plate is just a few ounces. I'm sure at some point, the weight will bother me. For now, I'm relatively young and healthy, so it's no big deal.

gordon
Gear and Feedback

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 09, 2012 20:47 |  #52
bannedPermanent ban

Jon wrote in post #14556471 (external link)
Seems you haven't been reading. My main reason for leaving the L plate on is that I dont know when I won't need it. I'm happy for you that you've never needed a tripod when you didn't think you would. Or a flash bracket (which, though you've done your best to ignore it, I've repeatedly mentioned as one of the uses for my L bracket). My RRS flash bracket plus RRS L bracket (on camera) takes up less space than any separate L bracket I've had. Wake up and smell the coffee.

I guess I will know you when I see you in the field. You will be the guy with the wheel barrow full of gear toting it around just in case. I'll wave when I see you. I'll be the guy getting the shots while you decide on what gear to use out of your entire collection that you hauled down.

Jon, it's been a slice. I need to go find that L-bracket that I have seemed to misplaced last time I took it off my camera.:lol:

Yno
862 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 10, 2012 14:02 |  #53

Hogloff wrote in post #14556195 (external link)
1. Extra weight with zero added functionality.
2. Extra bulk with zero added functionality.
3. Reduced ergonomics with zero added functionality.
4. Tighter fit and harder to manage in my bag with zero added funtionality.

There are some of the reasons why I take my L-plate off if I have no plans of using a tripod. Now Jon, other than being scared of losing the L-plate if you take it off your camera...what other benefits do you see always keeping the L-plate on your camera even if you have no intention of using the plate.

Hogloff, I think you are ignoring the fact that some people really do find added functionality in having the bracket permanently mounted on the camera. A number of items have been mentioned, but if they are not of use to you, then so be it. This really isn't a black and white subject - what works for some may not work for others, and what is detrimental to you may not bother most people.

If the extra couple of ounces and slight amount of material bothered me, I would be shooting a Rebel or a P&S. I have absolutely no problems with the ergonomics of the camera with the bracket on. My right hand does not contact it at all, and the only contact my left has is just at the ball of my thumb, which I actually find more comfortable than not having the bracket. As for storage of the camera, none of the (many) bags I have and use are so form fitting that the bracket would make any possible difference. I can’t imagine having a bag that was so tight I had to force the camera in. In addition, I may just be too lazy to put it on and take it off every time.

As for the tripod collar, I actually found another use for it when carrying the camera with a long lens. I have the shoulder strap adjusted so that I can stick the foot of the collar in my belt to take some of the weight, and to keep it from bouncing around. I don’t expect this to become a universal carry mode, but it works for me.

I don't think either view is wrong or right, and I don't think either side is going to convince the other to change, and I don't really think it matters at all in the overall scheme of things. We should all shoot the way we want.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
www.imawino.com (external link)

xeodragon
THREAD ­ STARTER
287 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jun 10, 2012 14:51 |  #54

Yno wrote in post #14559114 (external link)
Hogloff, I think you are ignoring the fact that some people really do find added functionality in having the bracket permanently mounted on the camera. A number of items have been mentioned, but if they are not of use to you, then so be it. This really isn't a black and white subject - what works for some may not work for others, and what is detrimental to you may not bother most people.

If the extra couple of ounces and slight amount of material bothered me, I would be shooting a Rebel or a P&S. I have absolutely no problems with the ergonomics of the camera with the bracket on. My right hand does not contact it at all, and the only contact my left has is just at the ball of my thumb, which I actually find more comfortable than not having the bracket. As for storage of the camera, none of the (many) bags I have and use are so form fitting that the bracket would make any possible difference. I can’t imagine having a bag that was so tight I had to force the camera in. In addition, I may just be too lazy to put it on and take it off every time.

As for the tripod collar, I actually found another use for it when carrying the camera with a long lens. I have the shoulder strap adjusted so that I can stick the foot of the collar in my belt to take some of the weight, and to keep it from bouncing around. I don’t expect this to become a universal carry mode, but it works for me.

I don't think either view is wrong or right, and I don't think either side is going to convince the other to change, and I don't really think it matters at all in the overall scheme of things. We should all shoot the way we want.

Well said. Reason I created this thread was to see what other people implemented in their setup, not to prove one was right or wrong, but to get some advice and see what can work for me.

hfgarris
Goldmember
1,760 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 10, 2012 15:01 |  #55

One reason I always leave a plate on my camera bodies and long lenses with tripod mount is to quickly and securely attach my R-Strap which has a small Kirk screw-clamp permanently attached. Longer lenses carry better when the R-Strap is attached to the tripod foot plate.

Other reasons have been previously mentioned...

-howard

sponsored links

5,414 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do you leave you L-Plate or Grip on your camera?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.