Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 12 Jun 2012 (Tuesday) 10:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

60D users, friends and their random OT B.S.

this thread is locked
Immaculens
creeped by the TF....
13,206 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Nov 07, 2012 09:15 |  #5851

Keyan wrote in post #15217451 (external link)
That's funny, in our wedding photog's contract it stated that they will take a break of at least 30 minutes during dinner I believe, and regardless we made sure they had time to sit down and eat. There isn't much to photograph during the meal except for people eating, which is never flattering.

Shots can still be taken of the bride and groom during a meal - such as the cute 'feeding each other with a folk - but no argument - it 'is' the time to wolf something down if all is going well. I err'd making it sound like there is 'no' time. I suspect the reality of 'at least 30 minutes' allotted for a meal was compressed into about 10 minutes but hey if a photog has 30 minutes to eat and it all goes swimmingly - good for them! ;)

Will immaculens.com (external link)

7Dmk II gripped | 5Dc | 150-600 (Σ) OS C | 55-250 IS STM | 100L f/2.8 IS Macro | 15-85 IS | 50 f/1.8 STM | 30 Σ f/1.4 'A'
Learn to love to do well, and you shall. ~ C. Poseidon

sponsored links
Vixen89
Goldmember
4,521 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 07, 2012 09:53 |  #5852

Now I'm really bothered, the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 is releasing next week and at $899 at B&H and the new Canon 35mm f/2 with IS is gonna come too around $800..ish.

I hope that new Sigma 35mm f/1.4 blows my mind away cause now I gotta re-think the recent 35L purchase. rofl

I'm actively lazy!! :D | Gear List | photovxn.com (under construction)external link

Immaculens
creeped by the TF....
13,206 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Nov 07, 2012 10:13 as a reply to  @ Vixen89's post |  #5853

I do enjoy the lens banter in here ;)

Will immaculens.com (external link)

7Dmk II gripped | 5Dc | 150-600 (Σ) OS C | 55-250 IS STM | 100L f/2.8 IS Macro | 15-85 IS | 50 f/1.8 STM | 30 Σ f/1.4 'A'
Learn to love to do well, and you shall. ~ C. Poseidon

Vixen89
Goldmember
4,521 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 07, 2012 10:28 |  #5854

Immaculens wrote in post #15217948 (external link)
I do enjoy the lens banter in here ;)

It's about half of how we spend our lives...obsessing over gear. xD

I'm actively lazy!! :D | Gear List | photovxn.com (under construction)external link

pauly916
Goldmember
1,523 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 07, 2012 10:41 |  #5855

Haha vix you are a proper gear head lol

Gear- who cares?
Facebook (external link)

Vixen89
Goldmember
4,521 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 07, 2012 10:48 |  #5856

Oh yes I will gladly admit I'm a pixel peeper and a gear head!

I find IQ and sharpness a good deal to me but I've always obsessed over glass my entire life. From super shiny to tiny little gems...lenses just happen to be a huge chunk of glass that makes me go oooo lala. LOL ..at this point all I wanna do is use the best that I can get and make memories cause I went through like 4-5 year old albums and kept thinking if only I had my gear back then ..I would have captured better memories of loved ones and passed ones. Not only for me for friends and what not..>:o

If only my money agreed with me..I keep checking back at the Sigma 35mm thread hoping someone posts sample photos. They posted MTF charts but I have no idea how to read that!

MARSURAT1
720 posts
Joined May 2012

Nov 07, 2012 11:08 |  #5857

Vixen89 wrote in post #15217880 (external link)
Now I'm really bothered, the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 is releasing next week and at $899 at B&H and the new Canon 35mm f/2 with IS is gonna come too around $800..ish.

I hope that new Sigma 35mm f/1.4 blows my mind away cause now I gotta re-think the recent 35L purchase. rofl

I'm interested to see how these lenses go over as well! And I feel you on being a gear head :) t I'm trying really hard to keep things to a minimum and get the best "bang for the buck" type of gear though so my bank account won't hate me... and since I don't have kids or a hub I can spend the money on myself all I want. And I'll be prepared once the kids do come around ;)

Didn't realize the Sigma 35 would be released so soon. Wonder if that's why my Sigma 30 hasn't received any interest :(

Immaculens wrote in post #15217721 (external link)
Shots can still be taken of the bride and groom during a meal - such as the cute 'feeding each other with a folk - but no argument - it 'is' the time to wolf something down if all is going well. I err'd making it sound like there is 'no' time. I suspect the reality of 'at least 30 minutes' allotted for a meal was compressed into about 10 minutes but hey if a photog has 30 minutes to eat and it all goes swimmingly - good for them! ;)

Didn't know feeding each other with the fork was a "thing" except for the cake. lol. Those and the ones of the bride and groom kissing when everyone dings their champagne glasses are probably the only ones worth getting during mealtime, and you def don't need the entire hour to get those. I think it's only humane to feed a photographer! It is illegal to work a certain amount of hours without breaks, after all. And at every wedding I've been to (though not many) and with every photog I've talked with (again, not many) and everything I've read (which is plenty) suggest that a meal is required.

Maria, Mars, or Marzy. Flickr. (external link)Facebook. (external link)
Canon 5Dc. Canon 60D. Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon 85mm f/1.8, Canon 40mm f/2.8, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8. 430 EX II. YN-560 II.

pauly916
Goldmember
1,523 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 07, 2012 11:13 |  #5858

Haha I know were your coming from. My golden rule with photography is I will not pixel peep ! Lol
Yep money is the biggest problem every thing I would like now is big bucks which sucks, still it's about using what you have and getting the best from it.

Gear- who cares?
Facebook (external link)

ScullenCrossBones
842 posts
Joined May 2009

Nov 07, 2012 12:34 |  #5859

Vixen89 wrote in post #15217880 (external link)

Vix, what exactly about the 35L do you not like? WRT the f/2 IS version, are you willing to trade a full stop of aperture for IS at this focal length? WRT the Sigma, do you believe the sig is a better lens than the 35L? Or is it just a matter of price difference?

Also, have you shot much with the 35L yet? For me, I could shoot all day with it on, unless I needed something longer like the 135L.

:p Gear
Mama done took my Kodachrome away...

Vixen89
Goldmember
4,521 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 07, 2012 12:46 |  #5860

ScullenCrossBones wrote in post #15218472 (external link)
Vix, what exactly about the 35L do you not like? WRT the f/2 IS version, are you willing to trade a full stop of aperture for IS at this focal length? WRT the Sigma, do you believe the sig is a better lens than the 35L? Or is it just a matter of price difference?

Also, have you shot much with the 35L yet? For me, I could shoot all day with it on, unless I needed something longer like the 135L.

I don't think there's a thing I don't like about it but right now it's not arriving to my house til Thursday! *impatient me*

I am not willing to give up a full stop for IS ...ever. My need for fast glass is like a sickness. It was only bothering me because I knew beforehand that Sigma 35mm was coming but unknown to anyone about when it was gonna come out. I made my purchase last week and you know I do my usual POTN thing at work, log in the computer, boot up all my programs...read on POTN and bam Sigma 35mm is for pre-order for $900! So my initial purchase could have been to test drive the new Sigma if I was patient enough one more week. It's not a real money issue or anything I'm just thinking oh crap I could have bought my new ball head if I went the Sigma route instead. I did own Sigmas in the past, along with Tamrons, and Tokinas ...I'm like a camera store now that I think about it. In the end, I still want that sexy L goodness Canon offers. I know for a fact the 35L will not disappoint me! I've been shooting 90% of the time with the 85L stuck to my 5D3 *hint hint Pauly* and I'm hoping the 35L will open up a different perspective when it comes to doing portraits for me~

In good news though, this Sunday will be my 60D + 16-35 + 70-200 II outing at the famed Import Face Off in Ennis, TX with 40% chance of rain....LOL

http://www.importfaceo​ff.net/ennis2.htm (external link)
NSFW >>>>>> http://www.importfaceo​ff.net/Ennis_2012.jpg (external link)

vinmunoz
Cream of the Crop
16,975 posts
Gallery: 441 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 07, 2012 13:25 |  #5861

After reading and drooling on more than 120 pages in the Canon 70-200mm F4 IS thread, i pulled the trigger just now, should be here tomorrow.

My 24-105 is set to go home to amazon. One day maybe i'll just get a rokinon 14mm for landscape stuff.

my 40mm will serve my indoor event/party wide shots for now. though the 70mm end might be enough. (crank the ISO and flash though)

then i'll be quiet and go out to shoot some fall colors.

| VINZ - SONY A7RIII/A6000/FDR-X3000 | 85GM | FE1635GM | FE50F1.8 | SEL30mm F3.5 Macro |
INSTAGRAM (external link)- WEBSITE (external link) - FACEBOOK (external link) - 500PX (external link)

Vixen89
Goldmember
4,521 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 07, 2012 13:39 |  #5862

^you won't be disappointed. I know I wasn't while I still owned the f/4 IS for awhile before upgrading. Used it at almost every car show I went to and drag/drifting.

vinmunoz
Cream of the Crop
16,975 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 07, 2012 13:46 |  #5863

thanks Lisa. So many mind blowing sharpness images in the 70-200 f4IS thread. i think i'll enjoy it.

| VINZ - SONY A7RIII/A6000/FDR-X3000 | 85GM | FE1635GM | FE50F1.8 | SEL30mm F3.5 Macro |
INSTAGRAM (external link)- WEBSITE (external link) - FACEBOOK (external link) - 500PX (external link)

vinmunoz
Cream of the Crop
16,975 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 07, 2012 13:54 |  #5864

Immaculens wrote in post #15216701 (external link)
Hey wait - how am I supposed to get bargains on your used stuff if you keep it?! ;)

that pic is pretty soft man... sorry to be harsh... how be I do you a favor and take that soft lens off your hands for $550 as a favor?

:eek:

what angle do you have your speedlight at? pointing straight up or angled? Looks like a good event rig...

i just don't like the fact that I have to stop down to F11 before achieving that sharpness i desire though. I tried it in F4 and I'm not happy with the result. I think my 85 F1.8 is sharper wide open than the 24-105 at F4.

that's why i checked on the 70-200mm F4IS.

ScullenCrossBones
842 posts
Joined May 2009

Nov 07, 2012 13:58 |  #5865

Vixen89 wrote in post #15218511 (external link)
I don't think there's a thing I don't like about it but right now it's not arriving to my house til Thursday! *impatient me*

I am not willing to give up a full stop for IS ...ever. My need for fast glass is like a sickness. It was only bothering me because I knew beforehand that Sigma 35mm was coming but unknown to anyone about when it was gonna come out. I made my purchase last week and you know I do my usual POTN thing at work, log in the computer, boot up all my programs...read on POTN and bam Sigma 35mm is for pre-order for $900! So my initial purchase could have been to test drive the new Sigma if I was patient enough one more week. It's not a real money issue or anything I'm just thinking oh crap I could have bought my new ball head if I went the Sigma route instead. I did own Sigmas in the past, along with Tamrons, and Tokinas ...I'm like a camera store now that I think about it. In the end, I still want that sexy L goodness Canon offers. I know for a fact the 35L will not disappoint me! I've been shooting 90% of the time with the 85L stuck to my 5D3 *hint hint Pauly* and I'm hoping the 35L will open up a different perspective when it comes to doing portraits for me~

In good news though, this Sunday will be my 60D + 16-35 + 70-200 II outing at the famed Import Face Off in Ennis, TX with 40% chance of rain....LOL

http://www.importfaceo​ff.net/ennis2.htm (external link)
NSFW >>>>>> http://www.importfaceo​ff.net/Ennis_2012.jpg (external link)

I understand. I'm supposed to be shooting an outdoor fashion show this weekend.

As for Sigma, I've tried to like them, but they're just not for me. Every time I've tried one, they won't focus correctly. Maybe the 35 will be fine, but I can't afford to gamble on it, so I just use Canon lenses now. The Tamron 24-70 has me curious though. But I know they have onion issues.

:p Gear
Mama done took my Kodachrome away...

sponsored links

649,376 views & 0 likes for this thread
60D users, friends and their random OT B.S.
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.