Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 13 Jun 2012 (Wednesday) 06:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What size Kiboko?

J.Litton
Goldmember
1,741 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 13, 2012 06:48 |  #1

I was all but sold on the 30L Kiboko so I can carry all my gear, and use it to travel with all in one. I know it is quite pricey, but seemingly worth it. My question is, should I save some money and buy the smaller Kiboko (22L.) This would still allow me to carry the 500, but I could not carry it mounted to the camera. The plus this would have is being able to carry a laptop and its $100 cheaper. Anyone else have this dilemma?

Thanks

7D MK II.17-40L.100-400L.500L
www.jlitton.com (external link)
www.facebook.com/jlitt​on.nature.photography (external link)

sponsored links
minhi
604 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jun 13, 2012 08:39 |  #2

J.Litton wrote in post #14572424 (external link)
I was all but sold on the 30L Kiboko so I can carry all my gear, and use it to travel with all in one. I know it is quite pricey, but seemingly worth it. My question is, should I save some money and buy the smaller Kiboko (22L.) This would still allow me to carry the 500, but I could not carry it mounted to the camera. The plus this would have is being able to carry a laptop and its $100 cheaper. Anyone else have this dilemma?

Thanks

Hi, could you provide a little more info on amount of gear you want to carry, what bags you have had in the past (and why you did not like them). I just got a Kiboko 22L (you just missed the memorial day sale, either size goes on sale 1-2 a year, but it's a long gap between the sales). And i am surprised at the size, while it will hold plenty, it's kind of a wierd size as it's pretty wide for a backpack. Its almost like a small roller case with straps.

Just looking at it, i think it would be great to get me and my gear from location A to location B, but not as a bag to shoot out of in between. And i personally would not use it for hiking or large amount of walking (i might change my mind on that as i have not taken it for long outings yet). For hiking etc, i would lean towards a Clik-Elite or f-stop bag at the moment (i have a clik-elite too). For general walk-around shooting i've been using a TT shape-shifter, which i find to be a versatile bag, as i can pack it up for getting to my location but i can also pull out the camera, and the camera is very light on my back.

It just all depends on how you 'think' you'll use the bag and whether it will work, it's a very particular type of bag. Capacity wise it will hold a lot of gear, the issue about not being able to have the 500L mounted is moot to me because it's not really a fast-draw bag anyway. So the extra time to mount the 500 versus just pulling it out ready to shoot is not that much more.

As another datapoint i also have a TT 360, which is another specialized bag. I just want to give you the impression that there isn't 1 perfect bag, there are a lot of bags that do something really well and the other stuff ok. So it's always a compromise when picking one.

I will say that given how much the kiboko will hold, it is extremely light while empty, build quality seems excellent too. The strap retention/hideaway mechanism is a little fussy, but not sure how often i would hide the straps anyway. I'm still trying to decide how i will use this bag, i think it is great in getting me and my gear to my destination while travelling, not sure about what to do when i get there, i like to walk around and shoot, and it seems awkward as a day-pack.

in search of my own choreo-animator (external link)

J.Litton
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,741 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 13, 2012 09:07 |  #3

This will mainly be used to just be my bag to get the gear from location to location, as well as keep around the house and travel with.

The bag I am using now is just a cheap canon 200eg for my body, 100-400, 17-40, monopod and a few other small things. I dont have much gear. I currently have to carry the 500 in its hard case from Canon.

I would like to also get a field bag persay where I could carry the 500 mounted.

minhi
604 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jun 13, 2012 10:23 |  #4

J.Litton wrote in post #14572918 (external link)
This will mainly be used to just be my bag to get the gear from location to location, as well as keep around the house and travel with.

The bag I am using now is just a cheap canon 200eg for my body, 100-400, 17-40, monopod and a few other small things. I dont have much gear. I currently have to carry the 500 in its hard case from Canon.

I would like to also get a field bag persay where I could carry the 500 mounted.

I don't have a 500 (lucky you :) so i can't comment on how it would fit in other bags, but the kiboko 22L would carry all of your gear no problem, with space to spare. excluding the 500 you can carry that gear in pretty much any bag. and for portage, it would work fine for the use-case you describe. the 22L is already pretty big, i would not get a 30L unless you're absolutely sure you need the extra space.

While the kiboko would be fine, there are a few think tank bags that are similiar and cheaper that would also work, so take a look at those too. the benefit of thinktank is that they are carried in a lot of local camera stores so you can see them in person.

J.Litton
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,741 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 13, 2012 12:47 |  #5

minhi wrote in post #14573203 (external link)
I don't have a 500 (lucky you :) so i can't comment on how it would fit in other bags, but the kiboko 22L would carry all of your gear no problem, with space to spare. excluding the 500 you can carry that gear in pretty much any bag. and for portage, it would work fine for the use-case you describe. the 22L is already pretty big, i would not get a 30L unless you're absolutely sure you need the extra space.

While the kiboko would be fine, there are a few think tank bags that are similiar and cheaper that would also work, so take a look at those too. the benefit of thinktank is that they are carried in a lot of local camera stores so you can see them in person.

Yea the 500 is awesome, but makes everything else more difficult. Yea I saw the Memorial Day sale, but couldn't pull the trigger on the smaller bag since I was unsure how it all fit.

If I did get the smaller bag, is there any "field bag" or similar that I could use to keep the lens attached to the body in while I am walking around, or maybe driving between locations and I need quick easy access to it?

Kasrielle
Goldmember
1,156 posts
Gallery: 86 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 13, 2012 18:00 |  #6

I have the 22L, and it is great! I don't have a 500 - but it fits everything in my signature, and rides well on my back.

www.photosbykas.com (external link)
my Flickr Page (external link)
500px.com/Kasrielle (external link)

AVService
276 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 13, 2012 18:09 |  #7

How much was the 22 on sale for?
I have really been dreaming about that one!

7D | 40Dx2 | 17-55 2.8 | 70-200 2.8L | 10-22 | 24-70 2.8L | 550EX | 430EX | Too Many Bags!

Kasrielle
Goldmember
1,156 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 13, 2012 18:28 |  #8

It was $80 off, but it may be back up to reg price... $379.

J.Litton
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,741 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 14, 2012 08:21 |  #9

How often do they run the sales? Maybe 4th of July will be the next sale?

minhi
604 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jun 15, 2012 09:16 |  #10

J.Litton wrote in post #14577610 (external link)
How often do they run the sales? Maybe 4th of July will be the next sale?

i've been looking off and on for the last year, typically it's during the holidays, but it's not everything on sale. i think the previous sale was around xmas but that was on the 30L. it's a decent discount if you're looking at the bag already, if there is no sale, pay attention to the B&S (both here and fredmiranda) as every-time there is a sale there are folks who want to try them out and end up not liking them and flipping them for about the same amount.

Kasrielle
Goldmember
1,156 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 17, 2012 13:43 |  #11

The Kiboko 22L is on sale right now for Father's day - http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …o_22L_Backpack_​Black.html (external link).

sponsored links

2,215 views & 0 likes for this thread
What size Kiboko?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.