Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 14 Jun 2012 (Thursday) 10:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

newbie album design

liverpool ­ 1
83 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 14, 2012 10:23 |  #1

Hey folks, i have been involved in photography a while now but really only offered a photo disc or a plain overleafs album printed and slotted in to the leaves pages!!! Boring yes...
So i want to start creating my own modern pages in photoshop 10 which i am now used to... Is it as simple as starting a blank page say 12x8, 10 x 8 ect and then keeping it simple, one photograph then maybe picture in picture and some simple effects, vignettes ect... I have read through this forum and there are some saying kiss keep it simple stupid...Then i am looking to find somewhere to send the prints to to do the flushmount process so the pics are in the pages.. My budget sadly is low end so good quality cheap books or albums are for me??? Any advise welcome. I have attached a picture with pics on ? am i on the right lines with something like this... Size is for a double page inside 10x8 s0 did 20x8? Steve England

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 14, 2012 10:51 |  #2

Do you not see that you're altering the aspect ratios (squishing from top to bottom) of the photos you're inserting ? Perhaps it's just the bottom left shot.

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

liverpool ­ 1
THREAD ­ STARTER
83 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 14, 2012 11:35 |  #3

Christopher Steven b wrote in post #14578356 (external link)
Do you not see that you're altering the aspect ratios (squishing from top to bottom) of the photos you're inserting ? Perhaps it's just the bottom left shot.

Nope did not realise, how do i keep the ratio then as i have held down the shift key as i am making them smaller?

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 14, 2012 11:41 |  #4

Not sure if your version of photoshop does this, but consider 'placing' your images as smart objects. That way you're playing with the full res. images throughout all your transformations until you rasterize down to the single layer .jpg for print. I then using masking layers to 'crop' the smaller images as I like. But, yes, shift will do it; shift-alt will alter size expanding or contracting from your anchor point (usually at the centre of the image).

Svetlana
Goldmember
3,357 posts
Joined May 2008

Jun 14, 2012 11:50 |  #5

I agree about aspect retio - watch out for that. I'm not sure about different b/w in the big vs small images. Are those from different weddings?

Canon 7D, 5Dmk2, 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS, Canon 50 1.2L, 35 1.4L, 85 1.8, Canon 16-35L, Canon 100 2.8L IS Macro, Speedlight 580EX II x 2, 430 EX, enthusiasm.:D http://svetlanayanova.​com/ (external link)

Join me on Facebook (external link)! :)

liverpool ­ 1
THREAD ­ STARTER
83 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 14, 2012 11:50 as a reply to  @ Christopher Steven b's post |  #6

Is that better chris?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

liverpool ­ 1
THREAD ­ STARTER
83 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 14, 2012 11:57 |  #7

Yes different weddings svetlana

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 14, 2012 12:03 |  #8

Hate to say it, but I'd start from the beginning. Everything appears squished vertically. The bottom left image is definitely not looking the way it looked when you shot it.

liverpool ­ 1
THREAD ­ STARTER
83 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 14, 2012 12:06 as a reply to  @ Christopher Steven b's post |  #9

Ok thanks, thats why come on here for advise cheers

mosabi
376 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jun 14, 2012 14:57 |  #10

If you're doing it in photoshop select your layer that includes the image and type CTRL+T this will select the image and then hold down SHIFT while your dragging a corner of the image to downsize it, this keeps the ratio correct.

www.nickluchau.zenfoli​o.com (external link)
40Dx2 gripped | 17-55 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.8 mk1 | 430ex II

liverpool ­ 1
THREAD ­ STARTER
83 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 14, 2012 15:04 |  #11

mosabi wrote in post #14579532 (external link)
If you're doing it in photoshop select your layer that includes the image and type CTRL+T this will select the image and then hold down SHIFT while your dragging a corner of the image to downsize it, this keeps the ratio correct.

That's what I did, but seems to not have worked. Are you sure you do not hold shift and alt together?? Thanks for input

Svetlana
Goldmember
3,357 posts
Joined May 2008

Jun 14, 2012 15:16 |  #12

yep CNTR+T (not alt) let you keep the ratio intact.

Canon 7D, 5Dmk2, 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS, Canon 50 1.2L, 35 1.4L, 85 1.8, Canon 16-35L, Canon 100 2.8L IS Macro, Speedlight 580EX II x 2, 430 EX, enthusiasm.:D http://svetlanayanova.​com/ (external link)

Join me on Facebook (external link)! :)

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 14, 2012 15:19 |  #13

I don't know what 'CNTR' means, but ALT+ SHIFT while dragging does as I suggest it does, at least in CS5 on windows.

liverpool ­ 1
THREAD ­ STARTER
83 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 14, 2012 17:44 as a reply to  @ Christopher Steven b's post |  #14

Yep sorted it thanks it is shift and alt together...Any advise on my other queries? Templates albums uk?
Abellli? Blurb?

jameswillett
48 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 15, 2012 10:10 |  #15

Ive heard Blurb has stepped up on their quality...enough so that the adobe implemented the book layout with an export straight to blurb in the new Lightroom. I haven't used them for a while but may be worth it!

sponsored links

2,760 views & 0 likes for this thread
newbie album design
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.