Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 14 Jun 2012 (Thursday) 21:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

PS CS5 into LR4 question

pstyle1
317 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 14, 2012 21:06 |  #1

Hi

I'm doing a panorama stitch in PS CS5 using CR2 RAW files, and I want to save the finished stitch in the same format to post process it in LR4. Is that possible? I can't figure it out. I don't want to save it as a jpeg yet since I want to do some PP in LR4. What's the best format to save in from PS5?

Thanks

5D MkIII x2 + a lot of L's.
www.facebook.com/Peyma​nRazaviPhotography (external link)

sponsored links
pstyle1
THREAD ­ STARTER
317 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 14, 2012 21:21 |  #2

and as a follow-up question, does it make more sense to do it the other way around? PP the images in LR4 first and then stitch in PS?

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 14, 2012 22:02 |  #3

Well, first off your basic question:

When you open a Raw file in the Photoshop editor, what you have is no longer the Raw, but is a "rendered" image, and, unless you open it as a Smart Object, your Raw data is no longer a part of the image. Raw files opened as a Smart Object can be re-opened in a Raw processor, but that is not something that will apply to a Panorama once it has been stitched.

Once you have applied editing to the image (including stitching) and want to save it, you can't save it as a Raw file but only as an image file, meaning typically a psd, a tiff, or a jpeg.

So, as to your Panorama, the best quality files for any further procesing are tiffs and psds.

Now as to dealing with Lightroom, with the stitched panorama, you have two choices:

A straightforward choice from the perspective of a Lightroom workflow is to select the Raw files you want stitched and use the Edit In/Merge to Panorama in Photoshop. Then in PS you do the merging, then do a file/save as a tiff or psd, and the saved panorama should automatically show up in your Lightroom library where you can do whatever further development you want.

The other way would be to open your files in Photoshop, either as individual files from Lightroom or through Bridge using the Photoshop/Photomerge function, create and save the panorama, and then in Lightroom you can import it either using Import or the Folder Synchronize function.

Like I said, using Lightroom is the "straightforward" approach.

As to your question of processing the Raw files in Lightroom before doing the panorama work, well I guess I'd say "it depends"...depends on the specifics of the image and on how confident you are that you can make specific adjustments without screwing up the Photo Merge!

A couple important things to check on before the stitching would be ensuring that the White Balance is consistent among the images and that your Exposure is consistent. Those things should be in place before the stitching. Maybe other things could be done as well, or maybe you could leave more touchups for working on the tiff/psd, that's up to you and the specifics of what you want to do. Whatever you do, though, just have a keen eye to make sure that things are consistent across all your images.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 14, 2012 22:06 |  #4

Personally I would do the basic, global adjustments to one file in LR, sync them all, and then export them to Photoshop for stitching.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,845 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 14, 2012 22:07 |  #5

pstyle1 wrote in post #14580999 (external link)
I'm doing a panorama stitch in PS CS5 using CR2 RAW files, and I want to save the finished stitch in the same format to post process it in LR4. Is that possible?

Nope, you can't save as a CR2.

I don't want to save it as a jpeg yet since I want to do some PP in LR4. What's the best format to save in from PS5?

psd or tiff

pstyle1 wrote in post #14581080 (external link)
and as a follow-up question, does it make more sense to do it the other way around? PP the images in LR4 first and then stitch in PS?

Yes, although I'd process in ACR, click Done, and then in Bridge go to Tools/Photoshop/Photom​erge.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 14, 2012 22:35 |  #6

D Thompson wrote in post #14581252 (external link)
Yes, although I'd process in ACR, click Done, and then in Bridge go to Tools/Photoshop/Photom​erge.

Sure, the OP can do that, as I mentioned in my post, but then you have to do the step of importing into LR. Using LR to do your Raw developing and then using the LR Merge to Panorama in Photoshop function will get the same thing done, and will automatically import/include the resulting pano into the LR library, so some folks or many LR users are likely to prefer the efficiency of that approach.

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

pstyle1
THREAD ­ STARTER
317 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 14, 2012 22:39 |  #7

thanks for the swift responses guys. this forum is awesome!

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 14, 2012 22:54 |  #8

Well hey, we try to be helpful here!

Tony

sponsored links

1,166 views & 0 likes for this thread
PS CS5 into LR4 question
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.