Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
Thread started 15 Jun 2012 (Friday) 06:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

No camera gave me time to think...

gazmorton2000
416 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 15, 2012 06:45 |  #1

Well, as per the title really. Whilst my camera and lenses are away at Canon, I have thought about the sort of people photography I want to do. Not long ago, I decided I didn't want to go about photographing anything and everything as I had been doing for a few years, but concentrate solely on people. This is a massive area in itself. I shot a couple of models, and whilst the results were good and received positive feedback on here and elsewhere, i still didn't feel satisfied. Then I began to read a book from a fellow who shoots real people. People who have interesting lives and interesting stories, and the way he goes about photographing them is superb. This is what i would like to do. Real people with no more makeup than they would usually wear for everyday life and little prep. Meet with people who have interesting lives and jobs and make their portrait. What I am finding however, is that it seems really difficult to get going and find a willing subject who doesn't think I am some sort of weirdo or nutter wanting to take his picture. Also that people are either too busy or can't be bothered. I'm not sure how much the mentality differs here (UK) to somewhere like the US where I know this site is heavily based (also this books author was US), or maybe it's a barrier I am putting up as I perceive it that way, but it does seem a genuine problem. Has anyone any suggestions or input as to go about this? As I say, I have ideas and have tried some, but maybe you can add something? I would be much appreciative.

My 500px (external link) l My Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 15, 2012 07:10 |  #2

How about starting a photoblog. This way you aren't just saying, "can i take you picture?" your come one would be, "i am the editor of so and so blog and i would like to feature you in an upcoming article."

you might get more people willing to tell their story and allow you photograph them that way.

if you aren't good with writing you could enlist a writer, or if the whole thing seems to big, you could look for magazines or local newspapers that need a photographer for a story.

Canon 5d mkii | Canon 17-40/4L | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

gazmorton2000
THREAD ­ STARTER
416 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 15, 2012 13:51 as a reply to  @ mike_311's post |  #3

Thanks for taking the time to reply Mike. A couple of good suggestions there for sure. I have often thought about starting a blog but there wouldn't be a great deal to put in at the moment. I don't think I would write too much of an article, but the name of the person, what they do and a brief description I am sure I could manage and would accompany each photo nicely.

gazmorton2000
THREAD ­ STARTER
416 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 18, 2012 06:14 as a reply to  @ gazmorton2000's post |  #4

Anyone else have any ideas or am I talking complete rubbish here?

Accessoire
Goldmember
1,119 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 18, 2012 14:11 |  #5

perhaps expanding your market by offering headshot services to professional offices (for biz cards, etc.)?
print up a portfolio of examples and pricing system and go for it!

drmaxx
Goldmember
1,217 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Jun 18, 2012 15:15 as a reply to  @ Accessoire's post |  #6

Not quite sure what you are asking? Just start with your friends. You must have interesting friends? Create a little portfolio and then you can show your potential next client / project what you are up to.

Donate if you love POTN

gazmorton2000
THREAD ­ STARTER
416 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 19, 2012 06:45 as a reply to  @ drmaxx's post |  #7

Thanks for the replies. Maybe I didn't make it too clear in my original post. Maybe I was just having a think out loud. What I definitely don't want to do is charge for any photos or get into any sort of business. Photography is a hobby for me and I want to keep it that way, but I still want to make great photos. Maybe I have set the bar too high for myself?

sponsored links

1,534 views & 0 likes for this thread
No camera gave me time to think...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.