Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 17 Jun 2012 (Sunday) 15:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Think Tank Airport Essentials

nub4sh
188 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 17, 2012 15:42 |  #1

Hi guys, Im looking for a new airport friendly bag because im going home to my country from the UK. Ive been eyeing this bag for my carry-on. Before I go home, ill be changing my gears. So I plan to have 5D mark III + grip, 70-200 f2.8L II, 35 f1.4L, 50 f1.8, 430ex II and some camera wires and external hard drive and a Macbook pro 15" + iPad 3.

Can anybody shed some light for me? Anyone from this community have this bag? Ive checked the website but I want to hear from an owner with experience with this bag.

5D Mark 3 | 7D + gripped | Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS II | Canon 35 f1.4L | Canon 50 f1.8 II

sponsored links
AlexMa
676 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 19, 2012 20:41 |  #2

Looks like Essentials will hold up to a 13in laptop

If you have a 15 incher:

(Taken from Think Tank Website)

The Airport Commuter accommodates a pro sized DSLR, 4-6 standard zooms, iPad and 15” laptop. With its increased depth, it holds a 400 f/2.8 attached to a camera body or a 500 f/4 unattached.

Gear List

julius071
496 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jun 20, 2012 02:02 |  #3

I was checking out the airport commuter. I would get a bigger bag for my current gear just incase I expand my gear. And plus it's a birthday gift for me!!!

Capturing moments one snap at a time.

AlexMa
676 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 21, 2012 02:04 as a reply to  @ julius071's post |  #4

I haven't seen the two in person.

The commuter is deeper by 1.5 inches and wider by 1 inch. With this in mind, I don't know if the essentials would fit a gripped body.

According to the website, the essentials would only fit a standard dslr.

I have not been able to confirm is a gripped body would fit in the smaller bag.

This is a deciding factor for me. I'm looking into both. Need to feel and touch them in person.

I did look at a 3n1, but in the end decide to go for the traditional back pack instead.

Gear List

nub4sh
THREAD ­ STARTER
188 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 21, 2012 14:51 |  #5

Alex, if you have a chance look at these bags, please tell us here.

According to some review that i've read, yes, unfortunately Essentials can only take upto 13" laptop. The thing is, if i go for the bigger one, my worry is too bulky for me. Though, i havent seen this bags in person.

I dont know if Essentials can fit the 15" Macbook Retina, which is lighter and thinner.

5D Mark 3 | 7D + gripped | Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS II | Canon 35 f1.4L | Canon 50 f1.8 II

AVService
276 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 21, 2012 16:14 |  #6

nub4sh wrote in post #14612596 (external link)
Alex, if you have a chance look at these bags, please tell us here.

According to some review that i've read, yes, unfortunately Essentials can only take upto 13" laptop. The thing is, if i go for the bigger one, my worry is too bulky for me. Though, i havent seen this bags in person.

I dont know if Essentials can fit the 15" Macbook Retina, which is lighter and thinner.

I would doubt that the thickness is the problem,the machine is just too large?
Are you worried it will be too big to carry or too big to fly?

7D | 40Dx2 | 17-55 2.8 | 70-200 2.8L | 10-22 | 24-70 2.8L | 550EX | 430EX | Too Many Bags!

nub4sh
THREAD ­ STARTER
188 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 21, 2012 17:35 |  #7

Well, since Think Tank made it for carry-on, im worried about its too big to carry. I only have 3 lenses and a camera with grip. I would go for another option though if some can advice that it safe for carry-on luggage.

AlexMa
676 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 21, 2012 19:21 as a reply to  @ nub4sh's post |  #8

OK....I pulled the trigger on the Commuter.

Main reason and going off the descriptions....The Airport Essentials accommodates a standard DSLR............the Airport Commuter accommodates a pro sized DSLR.

I use 2 20d's (Yes, I said 20d's) and one is gripped. My old bag was the green and black cannon bag which worked for me all these years, but it was a little tight trying to close the bag with the gripped camera. (It was also wearing out) I also wanted a more robust bag with better protection. I also like the fact that the bag looks more like a suitcase.(stealthy) It has 3 carry/pull handles and much better shoulder straps. The zippers are very heavy duty (lockable) and material much thicker. The padding is a lot thicker. There is also a rain cover included. A plus is being able to remove or change the belt. The section that covers the belt is very robust and padded.

There are "D" rings on the shoulder straps. I purchased "The OP/TECH USA System Connectors (Set of 2) are spare connectors designed for straps using swivel hooks"(http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …ails&Q=&sku=328​123&is=REG (external link)) I have op/tech neck strap, so this will allow me to mount my camera without the neck strap directly to the backpack. The hooks go onto the "D" rings and the QD's go to the QD's on the pro loops on my camera.

I was at a local camera store and was looking at Think Tank, Kata, Tenba, Tamrac, and lowepro. This is what the store had in stock. It was not until I got home that I started to research Think Tank more. I like Kata for the bright interior. (things stand out alot more) The Think Tank that I was looking at was the Streetwalker HardDrive.

What turned me to the airport series was the bag having the ipad/laptop not directly on your back. What sold me was the fact that they are mounted on the lid and not on your back. I have a dell laptop and an Ipad 3. Not sure how much I would be carrying the laptop though. Also, the mono/tri/pod mounts to the side of the bag and not the lid. Mounting on the side give better access when attached. "imho"

I will let you guys know when it comes in.....maybe even a couple of pictures.

Gear List

AVService
276 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 21, 2012 19:36 |  #9

nub4sh wrote in post #14613266 (external link)
Well, since Think Tank made it for carry-on, im worried about its too big to carry. I only have 3 lenses and a camera with grip. I would go for another option though if some can advice that it safe for carry-on luggage.

I have no idea what this means?

I have the Takeoff and it will carry a 17" Macbook or not depending on your needs.
It will also carry Pro sized bodies easily and overall is exactly as described on the TT site which I am sure is the case with the essential as well.

If you need to carry a 15" computer and it will only carry a 13" that would be a deal breaker regardless of the rest wouldn't it?

7D | 40Dx2 | 17-55 2.8 | 70-200 2.8L | 10-22 | 24-70 2.8L | 550EX | 430EX | Too Many Bags!

AlexMa
676 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 21, 2012 20:50 as a reply to  @ AVService's post |  #10

Maybe this:

Urban Disguise 50 V2.0

...if you want to stay with Think Tank!

Gear List

AVService
276 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 21, 2012 20:53 |  #11

AlexMa wrote in post #14613936 (external link)
Maybe this:

Urban Disguise 50 V2.0

...if you want to stay with Think Tank!

Sounds like a winner to me?
I have an UD60 which holds my 17" well and they also offer BackPack straps for the UD series.

The question I guess is will a Gripped Body fit one?

LabRatFlyer
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 23, 2012 14:20 |  #12

Coming a bit late to the discussion here... I have the Airport Essentials, and I think the advice to go for the Urban Disguise is sound. I tried it, and I was surprised to find that my Lenovo Z570 (15 inch) laptop would fit in with an iPad 2. If the iPad 2 is out of the case, it will fit in the designated slot for the iPad. If it's in the Sena case I have for it, it will fit in front pocket. However, this is with my non-gripped 5D Mark III lying on it's bottom in the backpack

If I rotate the camera on it's side simulating the orientation it would need to have to accommodate a grip, it takes space from the front pocket making it very difficult to close it with both the laptop and iPad inside. The Macbook Pro may not be as high, but I would not be comfortable with the fit using my components.

If you have any other questions on the Airport essentials, let me know.

nub4sh
THREAD ­ STARTER
188 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 26, 2012 18:38 |  #13

Could you guys post pics for the Essentials and commuter? I wanted to weigh my options before choosing. The thing is that the Essentials might be too small for my laptop and iPad and the Commuter might be to big and bulky for my gears.

AVService
276 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 26, 2012 19:33 |  #14

nub4sh wrote in post #14636425 (external link)
Could you guys post pics for the Essentials and commuter? I wanted to weigh my options before choosing. The thing is that the Essentials might be too small for my laptop and iPad and the Commuter might be to big and bulky for my gears.

I think it is obvious unless you got a new computer that the essential is too small?
Why won't you accept this?

I would rather have a bag to grow in to instead of one I know going in will not fit my computer?

The best pics are probably on the TT website too.

LabRatFlyer
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 28, 2012 20:41 as a reply to  @ AVService's post |  #15

A picture really won't show what I am talking about for the laptop. It's definitely something you have to feel. With the 5D3 flat on the bottom, the computer and iPad fit and the bag will close comfortably. With it on the side, it takes more force to close to the point where I would be concerned about damaging either the bag or the equipment.

sponsored links

7,943 views & 0 likes for this thread
Think Tank Airport Essentials
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.