Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Discussion Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 18 Jun 2012 (Monday) 19:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links (only for non-logged)

CineTOGrapher?

Drozz119
Goldmember
1,340 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 18, 2012 19:12 |  #1

Is it just a matter of time before video screen shots are used for wedding photography? We've been giving each couple 10-15 screenshots the day after and a couple have commented about not needing a photographer. How often to brides get big prints? Or is it all about Facebook, blogs, and email?

I know there is no replacement for a full resolution raw file.. But could that change with 4k and(or) raw video? Can 100,000 frames to choose from produce better 'moments'?

After turning down all photography gigs.. We were talked into one for next month. The only thing we'll shoot(photography) will be the formats. Everything else will be screenshots. I searched online and couldn't find another wedding shot this way.

Here's some examples of recent screenshots
http://www.facebook.co​m …=1&ref=notif&no​tif_t=like (external link)

ShoFilms (external link)
gear

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 18, 2012 19:18 |  #2

4K certainly would give the necessary resolution for large prints but who the hell wants to scan (as you say) 100,000 frames for "the moment?"

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Drozz119
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,340 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 18, 2012 19:23 |  #3

I know I dont want to go through 100k frames individually! It takes about an hour to pull 15 screenshots from about 10,000 frames and process them. In our case, we go through each clip anyways.

ShoFilms (external link)
gear

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 18, 2012 19:25 |  #4

I dunno, call me old fashioned but there's something much more satisfying about capturing the moment in one shot than "lucking" into it by just rolling continuously.

Even at 10fps, you need to be in the moment. At 30-60fps, you just need to point the camera.

Jay

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Drozz119
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,340 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 18, 2012 19:36 |  #5

Yea.. I agree with that to a point. It's like the ultimate spray and pray! That is until we had a somewhat inexperienced wedding photographer(about 5 weddings) shoot with us. There is a huge difference in composition and finding the light. It was night and day. With photography..there is some leeway with composition because you can crop. With video..not so much. Same with WB and exposure. Video is unforgiving!

ShoFilms (external link)
gear

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 18, 2012 19:38 |  #6

Drozz119 wrote in post #14598031 (external link)
Yea.. I agree with that to a point. It's like the ultimate spray and pray! That is until we had a somewhat inexperienced wedding photographer(about 5 weddings) shoot with us. There is a huge difference in composition and finding the light. It was night and day. With photography..there is some leeway with composition because you can crop. With video..not so much. Same with WB and exposure. Video is unforgiving!

Nah...

All you need is a ton of RAM and the time to wait for something to render... ;)

After Effects can fix a lot of issues! :lol:

Jay

fotojennik
213 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jun 18, 2012 21:12 |  #7

A Red Epic costs about $40,000 body only
seems reasonable for wedding photog/videogs to just switch over now

Check out this video:

http://fstoppers.com/h​asselblad-vs-red (external link)

Pittsburgh Wedding Photographer (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Gear List

timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,833 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jun 18, 2012 21:28 |  #8

Drozz119 wrote in post #14597937 (external link)
How often to brides get big prints? Or is it all about Facebook, blogs, and email?

Welp, I guess there may be some brides out there that only care about using their wedding photos for FB, but that's pretty f'ing sad. I wonder what their grandchildren will think?

It's difficult to judge by the samples you posted on FB, because FB kills the quality. What do the high res files look like? What is the max res you can get?

connecticut wedding photographer (external link)

Drozz119
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,340 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 18, 2012 22:36 |  #9

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #14598036 (external link)
Nah...

All you need is a ton of RAM and the time to wait for something to render... ;)

After Effects can fix a lot of issues! :lol:

That it can! And your right about the render times..wow!

fotojennik wrote in post #14598463 (external link)
A Red Epic costs about $40,000 body only
seems reasonable for wedding photog/videogs to just switch over now

Check out this video:

http://fstoppers.com/h​asselblad-vs-red (external link)

Nice! 40k is pretty steep! Hopefully the canon 4k is a little cheaper.

timnosenzo wrote in post #14598568 (external link)
Welp, I guess there may be some brides out there that only care about using their wedding photos for FB, but that's pretty f'ing sad. I wonder what their grandchildren will think?

It's difficult to judge by the samples you posted on FB, because FB kills the quality. What do the high res files look like? What is the max res you can get?

Yea.. I guess each bride is different. I think we've looked at our wedding pics twice in 20 years...and both times were so my kids could laugh at my mullet!

They're 1920 pixels. They dont look too bad on the computer. I think a 5x7 is the printing limit. We tried some 8x10's and they were ok but I wouldn't give them to a client.

ShoFilms (external link)
gear

tim
Light Bringer
51,010 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 19, 2012 02:45 |  #10

Yervant did this a couple of years ago from 5DII footage, made an album from it an all. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't awesome. It wouldn't work for my style of photography, I use strobes a lot, you can't easily get that amount of light out of constant lights. Pretty much anything involving anything other than fill level of lighting is out. To me, lighting really takes an image from good to great.

So sure, at the low end, maybe. Then again wedding videographers aren't really big on posing, so you'd get quite different results than a photographer would.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Clignoteur
375 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jun 19, 2012 04:20 as a reply to  @ tim's post |  #11

I could never get used to film and select a great image from the film himself and then start processing it etc etc ... like the guy said, it slows down your workflow hard time. You can't make the difference between camera and DSLR but it would feel so weird to film instead of getting the right shot in a second.On a wedding I can get over 700 shots done. I don't see myself scrolling into over 100000 frames to find 10 great shots I like.

Automotive & Event Photographer in Belgium
http://www.facebook.co​m/Unicornpics (external link)

bnlearle
Goldmember
1,901 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 20, 2012 14:48 |  #12

This would be like shooting a wedding with the 1DX at 12fps, putting it together in a flip book, and asking if this suffices as cinematography.

Anyone who actual values talented cinematography will not sign up for this. Same goes for anyone who actually values talented photography.

twitter (external link) // facebook (external link)
Website (external link)
San Diego Wedding Photographer blog (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
51,010 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 20, 2012 15:10 |  #13

Who values either these days? Most people just want some decent photos and don't much care how they get them.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Clignoteur
375 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jun 20, 2012 15:14 |  #14

tim wrote in post #14607390 (external link)
Who values either these days? Most people just want some decent photos and don't much care how they get them.

that's true ... look at all those family photographers taking pictures with entry level dslr's or some of them even have 5D mkII's. In the mean time... I'll stay taking pictures... because I love it.

Automotive & Event Photographer in Belgium
http://www.facebook.co​m/Unicornpics (external link)

bnlearle
Goldmember
1,901 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 20, 2012 17:50 |  #15

tim wrote in post #14607390 (external link)

Really? Tons of people value great photography. A small, but growing, number of people are starting to really value great cinematography.

The problem, however, is that it takes great photography to grab the people who really value great photography -- and most of us are lacking in that. In fact, I'd argue that more people are willing to pay for great photography now than before the digital age.

twitter (external link) // facebook (external link)
Website (external link)
San Diego Wedding Photographer blog (external link)

sponsored links (only for non-logged)

5,257 views & 0 likes for this thread, 11 members have posted to it.
CineTOGrapher?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Discussion Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Forums   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset   •  Home

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.