Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 19 Jun 2012 (Tuesday) 13:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What is the industry standard video editing software?

J ­ Michael
969 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2010

Jun 21, 2012 16:57 |  #16

I attended an event last night with a panel of folks discussing how people can find work as editors. It was targeted at freelance editors trying to gain a foothold in the market. They suggested learning both Avid and Premiere although most of them were still doing some FCP Studio (not X). Over the years I always had the impression that Premier was what people editing weddings were mostly using so if I was trying to get a lot of editing work in that market as a freelancer I'd go there. I don't know much about the music video industry so wouldn't have a suggestion there. The fact that shops are still using FCP doesn't change the fact that they were left high and dry by Apple and FCP Studio is a dead end, professionally. But, there are still little old ladies programming in Dbase, so you can always argue there is a market for it.

Gameface
672 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 21, 2012 17:51 |  #17
bannedPermanent ban

People were still editing in OS 9 on Avid when I was working in FCP whatever number in maybe OS X 4. Fact of the matter is yes, like I said you should learn these in your spare time. But no one who has a stable system network with fiber/network cards, capture cards, plugins, raid cards, etc (ie professionals) are going to up and jump ship anytime soon. And if they are, I don't understand the logic as I know no one working for a post house even considering anything at the moment or even the remotely near future. I bet for many years to come people will still be looking for freelancers who know how to edit in FCP. Premiere right now, not so much. Avid, as always of course there are tons of houses that use it.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

18,138 views & 0 likes for this thread
What is the industry standard video editing software?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.