Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 19 Jun 2012 (Tuesday) 13:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

yet another "which lens" thread

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 19, 2012 22:49 |  #16

^ lol, does it matter?
it was a great lens, really was. but, in the back of my mind, i always felt it overlapped with the 24-105 in FL, even though it was so much faster. it was my "inside" lens when the flash+24-105 didnt quite cut it. but since ive decided to switch to a more versatile (ie. 2.8 zoom) lens, figured ill free up the cash. who knows, maybe ill buy another one down the line.

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

sponsored links
DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,381 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Jun 19, 2012 22:54 |  #17

ekinnyc wrote in post #14603911 (external link)
^ lol, does it matter?

it totally matters...knowing why something didn't work for someone makes it easier to determine what will...

and saying that they overlap is nonsense...different tools for different needs...there's not a single instance that the two could do the same thing...yeah you could stop down the sigma to f4, but then you'd have to turn the IS off of the 24-105L...so they're not really even close to similar

but it seems like you prefer zooms over primes anyways as they're more versatile for you...just know...even at f2.8 you'll probably still need to use your flash indoors...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,595 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 19, 2012 23:09 |  #18

ekinnyc wrote in post #14603731 (external link)
thanks everyone for the thoughts thus far. please, keep them coming, i want to make this an informed decision, but partly based on everyone's experiences.

not sure what you mean by this?

the lens is made for a full frame camera, and not as optimized as the 17-55, which is made for crop cameras. Essentially it comes down to value of a lens. The 17-55 brings a whole lot more value and performance over the 24-70.

Pros:
IS (this is a huge advantage)
17mm (7mm advantage on the wide end is a lot)
weight, the 24-70 is really cumbersome to say the least
price

Cons:
Build quality
weather sealing
55mm (15mm disadvantage on long end, matters a lot less than the wide end)

I think the pros outweigh the cons by a large margin.

Sony A7siii/A7iii/ZV-1 - FE 24/1.4 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 - 28-200 RXD
Panasonic G9 - Laowa 7.5/2 - PL 15/1.7 - P 42.5/1.8 - OM 75/1.8 - PL 10-25/1.7 - P 12-32 - P 14-140

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 26, 2012 11:05 |  #19

just bumping this thread

so, sold off my remaining 24-105, and went back to the dilemma of 17-55 or 24-70. i borrowed a coworker's 17-55 and went for a walk around midtown nyc during lunch yesterday. 2.8 is lovely, especially inside of st. patricks, and im super excited about getting a 2.8 zoom. as for the FL... as nice as the 17mm wide end was, i constantly kept wishing for reach. also, after using the built-like-a-tank-24-105, the 17-55 definitely let its build quality be known. the zoom ring lacked the tightness of an L, and the barrel had some instances of creep (though i guess thats just this copy).
call it L-envy, but i will be purchasing a 24-70, and i think i will be quite quite happy with it, even on a cropper

eventually, i will add a WA as funds allow, to help out on the wide end... likely a tokina 11-16 2.8

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

hairy_moth
Goldmember
3,739 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 26, 2012 12:47 |  #20

ekinnyc wrote in post #14772679 (external link)
i borrowed a coworker's 17-55 and went for a walk around midtown nyc during lunch yesterday. 2.8 is lovely, especially inside of st. patricks, and im super excited about getting a 2.8 zoom. as for the FL... as nice as the 17mm wide end was, i constantly kept wishing for reach. also, after using the built-like-a-tank-24-105, the 17-55 definitely let its build quality be known. the zoom ring lacked the tightness of an L, and the barrel had some instances of creep (though i guess thats just this copy).
call it L-envy, but i will be purchasing a 24-70, and i think i will be quite quite happy with it, even on a cropper

I'm pretty sure those are common on the 17-55.. My zoom ring has a strange torque at about 24mm -- I almost sent it back, but later learned that that is normal for that lens. Mine only creeps when completely vertical, so, while it does creep, it is not an issue for me.

The 17-55 makes up for those deficiencies (IMHO) in the AF speed and IQ.
But, if it is reach you want, you really can't go wrong with the 24-70. Pair that with any one of the good APS-C UWAs from Canon, Sigma or Tokina and you will be set.

7D | 300D | G1X | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 | EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro | EF 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L MkII -- flickr (external link)

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 26, 2012 14:12 |  #21

hairy_moth wrote in post #14773090 (external link)
I'm pretty sure those are common on the 17-55.. My zoom ring has a strange torque at about 24mm -- I almost sent it back, but later learned that that is normal for that lens. Mine only creeps when completely vertical, so, while it does creep, it is not an issue for me.

The 17-55 makes up for those deficiencies (IMHO) in the AF speed and IQ.
But, if it is reach you want, you really can't go wrong with the 24-70. Pair that with any one of the good APS-C UWAs from Canon, Sigma or Tokina and you will be set.

yeah, i knew about them beforehand from reading the forums, but its one thing to read about it, and one to actually experience it. until i tried it, i couldnt imagine it being that terrible, but once i had it in hand, i wasnt happy. the IQ is fantastic indeed (i plan on contributing to the sample image thread), but i think i need reach and a red ring for true happiness :)

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

sponsored links

4,251 views & 0 likes for this thread
yet another "which lens" thread
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.