Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 19 Jun 2012 (Tuesday) 21:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Official T4i Thread

OneWatt
29 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Oct 22, 2012 08:26 |  #496

Mackeral wrote in post #15150679 (external link)
That's a lot fo great points. I appreciate the response. My other lens is 55-250 Canon so I have quite the range covered but the introduction of the new 18-135 kind of throws that around a little bit. I love my Tamron so I'm leaning towards that. The better f stop on it and clarity is also important. I want to shoot video, but I'm going to start getting into vintage MF lenses and think I'll be using those for shooting more. I don;t really want to keep both as I need one to subsidize the purchase of the t4i. I know I can get more money for the Canon as a resale as well. I think this post emphasizes I'm leaning towards selling the STM but just wanted some more input before I commit.

Finances aside, just want to note you do have manual focus in your STM lenses already if you use the back button focus I noted above. It's especially handy for cinema. Since you've already got the STM lens in hand perhaps give it a try?

Rebel T4i; 40mm/2.8STM; 200mm/2.8L; 18-135mmSTM; Speedlite 430EXII; Kenko ETube DG set
Also: Canon G11

sponsored links
Brupikk
188 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 22, 2012 12:41 as a reply to  @ OneWatt's post |  #497

IMAGE: http://i50.tinypic.com/17uys2.jpg

IMAGE: http://i47.tinypic.com/2gt9fy9.jpg

Brupikk - Brazil
Canon 6D + Canon 6D + Canon 6D + 24-105mm f/4 + 70-200mm f/4 + 50mm f/1.8 + 35mm f/2.0

dgrPhotos
Cream of the Crop
7,501 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 25, 2012 10:51 |  #498

I did a quick search in this thread and nothing came up regarding a question I have. Did Canon remove the movie digital zoom from the t4i? Is the t3i the last body that has it? I looked through the manual as well that's why I'm assuming it's missing. TIA!

OneWatt
29 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Oct 25, 2012 13:56 |  #499

dgrPhotos wrote in post #15167871 (external link)
I did a quick search in this thread and nothing came up regarding a question I have. Did Canon remove the movie digital zoom from the t4i? Is the t3i the last body that has it? I looked through the manual as well that's why I'm assuming it's missing. TIA!

I haven't come across any digital zoom feature on the 4ti.

Having said that, with most software you'd use to pull together a video file, there's plenty of pan/zoom features you can use on your video (or still) file anyhow. So personally I wouldn't want to mess with digital zoom while actually shooting anyhow.

Of course one can always use real optical zoom (with a zoom lens) live while shooting. But as you know this would produce a very different artistic result than a digital zoom feature would (which just reduces resolution logically, not physically). Again, my own preference would be, if I were going to use a digital zoom effect, to just do that in PP - not while I'm busy shooting the actual scene.

Hope this reply helps.

Rebel T4i; 40mm/2.8STM; 200mm/2.8L; 18-135mmSTM; Speedlite 430EXII; Kenko ETube DG set

Naraly
221 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Oct 25, 2012 18:36 |  #500

Really great photos! Going to stalk this thread for a while; deciding whether I should go for the T4i or not. Hope to see more photos soon:cool:

Cheers,
Nora

-->Facebook (external link)Instagram (external link)<--

OneWatt
29 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Oct 25, 2012 19:02 |  #501

Naraly wrote in post #15169581 (external link)
Really great photos! Going to stalk this thread for a while; deciding whether I should go for the T4i or not. Hope to see more photos soon:cool:

Here are a couple of shots with a T4i - one nearby and one from a distance. Needless to say, the resolution of these images is significantly diluted to get them down to <150k filesize jpg for uploading.

I am finding the T4i to be an excellent camera given its price, portability and 1.6x crop size. Enjoy!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Naraly
221 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Oct 25, 2012 19:11 |  #502

OneWatt wrote in post #15169664 (external link)
Here are a couple of shots with a T4i - one nearby and one from a distance. Needless to say, the resolution of these images is significantly diluted to get them down to <150k filesize jpg for uploading.

I am finding the T4i to be an excellent camera given its price, portability and 1.6x crop size. Enjoy!

Excellent! I love the photo of the dog. What lens did you use?

Cheers,
Nora

-->Facebook (external link)Instagram (external link)<--

OneWatt
29 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Oct 25, 2012 19:18 |  #503

Thanks - that one was shot through an EF200mm f/2.8L II USM (wide open) from about 15' away. He's always a willing subject :-)

OneWatt
29 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Oct 25, 2012 19:29 |  #504

Here's another, this time using the EF40mm f/2.8 STM pancake lens. If you're considering the T4i, have a look at this surprisingly compact (and very affordable) prime lens.

As you may be aware, 40mm x 1.6 crop factor makes it equal to a 64mm (on a full frame body) so it's a great "walk around" lens that performs surprisingly well. At f/2.8 you have a fairly wide range of DOF/shutter speed choices - hence the obligatory misty water shot ;)

HOSTED PHOTO

OneWatt
29 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Oct 26, 2012 00:05 |  #505

Ma56ryjl wrote in post #15170586 (external link)
What lens did you use?
IMAGE NOT FOUND
| Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

as noted: "Here's another, this time using the EF40mm f/2.8 STM pancake lens."
;)

Steenos
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Oct 26, 2012 00:08 |  #506

I finally got my t4i in the mail. I can't say how much I am impressed with this DSLR. Here's a pic I took today at Deals gap. 40mm Pancake lens. I touched up a little bit with light room but not much. Let me know what you think.

x
TOO LARGE!
EMBED PREVENTED, IMAGE TOO LARGE:
http://i.imgur.com/qrW​R4.jpg
Click here to see our image rules.

Gear (Hopefully to expand in the future): Canon T4i | 40mm pancake lens

dgrPhotos
Cream of the Crop
7,501 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 26, 2012 05:49 |  #507

OneWatt wrote in post #15168564 (external link)
I haven't come across any digital zoom feature on the 4ti.

Having said that, with most software you'd use to pull together a video file, there's plenty of pan/zoom features you can use on your video (or still) file anyhow. So personally I wouldn't want to mess with digital zoom while actually shooting anyhow.

Of course one can always use real optical zoom (with a zoom lens) live while shooting. But as you know this would produce a very different artistic result than a digital zoom feature would (which just reduces resolution logically, not physically). Again, my own preference would be, if I were going to use a digital zoom effect, to just do that in PP - not while I'm busy shooting the actual scene.

Hope this reply helps.

I believe the difference is with the digital video zoom in the t3i you can still have 1080 resolution. Doing it afterward in PP is more crop than zoom. Could be wrong, I still use iMovie for editing. Nothing too fancy.

OneWatt
29 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Oct 26, 2012 08:02 |  #508

dgrPhotos wrote in post #15171056 (external link)
I believe the difference is with the digital video zoom in the t3i you can still have 1080 resolution. Doing it afterward in PP is more crop than zoom. Could be wrong, I still use iMovie for editing. Nothing too fancy.

Ah, very interesting point ... hadn't considered that distinction. I've always assumed that digital zoom was really just cropping of a sort being performed in the camera (by the camera chip instead of your computer chip). Hence the apparent 1080 would be just an "upsized" resolution, same as in post processing.

But I may be mistaken - as I often am! :D

dgrPhotos
Cream of the Crop
7,501 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 26, 2012 08:32 |  #509

I know the 60D crops the res. That was suppose to be the advantage with the 600D.

OneWatt
29 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Oct 26, 2012 08:38 |  #510

dgrPhotos wrote in post #15171406 (external link)
I know the 60D crops the res. That was suppose to be the advantage with the 600D.

Now you got me thinking - since the native resolution of all these EOS bodies is far higher than 1080, you're probably right, i.e., digital zoom may be selecting a different subset of the pixels (from within the larger sensor capture resolution) for storage within the .MOV video file being stored on the SD card when you invoke a digital zoom feature.

And again, I have not stumbled across any digital zoom function on the T4i, so I would say this digital zoom feature has likely been removed. I wonder if Magic Lantern (if/when available for the 650/T4i) might restore this capability, or if the switch to Digic-5 makes that no longer a retrievable capability.

Thanks for pointing this out.

sponsored links

465,826 views & 51 likes for this thread
Official T4i Thread
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.