Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 19 Jun 2012 (Tuesday) 21:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Official T4i Thread

JasonMK
Goldmember
1,377 posts
Gallery: 75 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Nov 26, 2012 12:48 |  #571

^^I agree, and pulled the trigger on a T4i this morning, stepping up from the T1i. I'm really looking forward to getting to experiment with the off camera flash controls on the T4i (and although that was also on the T3i the 5.0fps helped push me over the edge (external link).

-JasonMK on Flickr (external link)
1Ds Mark III | 650D | EF 17~40mm 4L | EF-S 18~135 STM | EF 50mm 1.4 | EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro | Tamron 70~300mm 4.0-5.6 Di VC USD XLD | 430 EX III | 430 EX II | Lowepro SlingShot 100 AW | EF 25 II | PS CC | LR CC

sponsored links
patrick ­ j
Goldmember
1,860 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 26, 2012 17:05 |  #572

wayne.robbins wrote in post #15289349 (external link)
They are similar as far as sensor is concerned- in only one respect- their output is the same as 18 MP is when it comes to Canon. People are silly when their "it's the same" is based upon one particular spec; the sensor in the 7D is at least 3+ years old. I do agree that most of the time- if a camera manufacturer is happy with the sensor- they just re-utilize it in the next models- like they in some of the cameras following the T2i/7D.. But the most improvements come when Canon is forced to redesign or truly upgrade - the most important piece of the camera- the sensor. When it's redesigned- it often means that other aspects might get reconsidered as well- like ISO capability, noise handling, AA filters, etc.. The t4i does not have the same sensor- it's got hybrid AF sensors that Canon had to redesign for.. At the same time- they updated the sensor for higher ISO capabilities, noise, etc.. The 7D's native ISO tops out at 6400, and the t4i- tops out at 12,800.. I do recall seeing the specs .

Somewhere someone posted a link to a youtube video comparison of a 60d and a T4i (I wish Canon would go with that Euro naming scheme here in the US too - the 650d is just fine with me as a name), and in the important aspects, important to me anyway, that is, normal lighting, middle-range ISO, the picture quality is pretty much indistinguishable. That's why I said they are about the same. I know they upgraded the autofocus substantially (external link), but that doesn't affect picture quality.

I did go back today and look at a picture of a glass of beer I posted here a week or two ago, taken at ISO 1600. Might be difficult to tell on the low resolution picture I posted here, but looking on my computer fully zoomed in the noise level is still very low. With my Xsi, the noise at 400 was probably higher, and I considered ISO 800 to be unusable.

Flickr (external link)

wayne.robbins
Goldmember
2,062 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 30, 2012 20:37 |  #573

^^ Well, you do understand that for most pictures under well lit circumstances- most cameras are actually - very similar in IQ and the overall results. The other thing that most people don't understand or realize is - most homes are not very well lit. I'm not arguing- by the way.. In my opinion- a picture mid range on the 60D (1600 ISO ) should look similar to one take by a T4i at 1600 ISO. The differences in models is usually at the extremes... For example, if you are shooting high shutter speeds - like 1/8000th ( or 1/4000th routinely)- then the 60D is better for you.. If you are shooting ISO 3200 with a relatively low shutter speed- then the T4i might be better.. At ISO 6400- I'd lay odds on the t4i looking better- SOOC.. With noise reduction software- the 60D might be equal- or it may not... But - in the end- it's at the extremes that cameras are different- not usually mid range or in well lit situations. Daylight, outdoors- an XSI or XTI is probably just as good as the t4i or 60D. It's just the way that camera gear works...

EOS 5D III, EOS 7D,EOS Rebel T4i, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, Canon 24-105L, Canon 18-135 IS STM, 1.4x TC III, 2.0x TC III, Σ 50mm f/1.4, Σ 17-50 OS, Σ 70-200 OS, Σ 50-500 OS, Σ 1.4x TC, Σ 2.0x TC, 580EXII(3), Canon SX-40, Canon S100
Fond memories: Rebel T1i, Canon 18-55 IS, Canon 55-250 IS, 18-135 IS (Given to a good home)...

scpictaker
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 30, 2012 22:12 |  #574

Just seems you never see this camera in any stores or ads. All T3's and T3i's. Just finally started to see tv spots for it (the tire on fire going down the hill).

My Flickr (external link)
Canon 5D MKIII l 7D MKII l 24-105L l 16-35 L II l Sigma 50 1.4 ART l 70-200 2.8 L II l 24-70L l EOS M l 2X III l Rok 14mm

patrick ­ j
Goldmember
1,860 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 30, 2012 22:27 |  #575

wayne.robbins wrote in post #15310556 (external link)
Daylight, outdoors- an XSI or XTI is probably just as good as the t4i or 60D. It's just the way that camera gear works...

My humble Xsi did produce some pretty good stuff, I'm seeing some improvement with the T4i in some situations (WB seems more accurate for one), but I think you are correct for the most part. That's quite a gear list, so I'm thinking you are going to know about differences among cameras.

(so quiet here, I'll maybe try to just post some junk, except with the new computer I can't seem to figure out how to squash a photo down below 150k. so far at least)

Flickr (external link)

gibsonjunkie
20 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Dec 01, 2012 07:51 |  #576

according to Amazon the T4i is now their #3 best selling DSLR... don't know how accurate that is, but...

Canon EOS Rebel T4i
Canon 18-135 mm telephoto lens, Canon 50mm 1.4 Lens
Tamron SPAF 10-24mm, Tamron AF 70-300mm
Canon Speedlite 320SX
Canon SX40 HS. Canon ELPH 520, Canon GL-2 DV Camcorder

patrick ­ j
Goldmember
1,860 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 01, 2012 22:04 as a reply to  @ JasonMK's post |  #577

Picked up a new lens, so was running around looking for something with some texture to try the thing out, found these rusty bolts on a walking bridge. Did look sharper before being cropped and reduced from 6 mb to about 120k.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

(Anyone else notice that reading this forum gives one an unquenchable thirst for new gear?)

Flickr (external link)

MattRas
25 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Dec 02, 2012 08:04 |  #578

Nifty fifty @ f1.8 1/1600 ISO 400 with a EX580 II bounced off a white wall
Beetroot juice dropped into water, btw :)

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8348/8237934590_ace54b95cc_c.jpg

kenshap
367 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 02, 2012 08:12 |  #579

^^^^^ nice.

Canon T6s (battery grip) | Canon T4i (aftermarket battery grip) | Canon T2i | Canon EF-S 18-55 IS | Canon EF-S 55 - 250 | Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 | Canon EF-S 10-22mm | Canon EF 100mm f2.8L Macro | Canon 40mm

hikermk
72 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2012

Dec 02, 2012 23:59 |  #580

My first DSLR was an XTi. It has been a great camera and it has suited me well after all these years. It was a hard decision on whether I wanted to step up to the 60D or T4i. After 2 weeks of contemplating I decided to go with the T4i. The main reason is that I am familiar with the rebel layout. Also I like the weight and size of the camera. I was able to get a good deal on cyber monday. I used it for the first time this weekend at my son's hockey game. The auto focus was unbelievably fast and it worked extremely well in the low light of the ice arena. At first I didn't know if I would like the touch screen but it is very cool! I plan on taking lots of pics with this camera and some video too.

Canon 80D, Canon T4i, Sigma 70-200 F2.8, Canon 85 F1.8, Canon EFS 18-135 STM, Canon EFS 18-135, EFS 10-22, Speedlight 420 EX, Speedlight 430 EX II, Stroboframe, Manfrotto tripod

OneWatt
29 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Dec 03, 2012 00:32 |  #581

hikermk wrote in post #15318852 (external link)
My first DSLR was an XTi. It has been a great camera and it has suited me well after all these years. It was a hard decision on whether I wanted to step up to the 60D or T4i. After 2 weeks of contemplating I decided to go with the T4i. The main reason is that I am familiar with the rebel layout. Also I like the weight and size of the camera. I was able to get a good deal on cyber monday. I used it for the first time this weekend at my son's hockey game. The auto focus was unbelievably fast and it worked extremely well in the low light of the ice arena. At first I didn't know if I would like the touch screen but it is very cool! I plan on taking lots of pics with this camera and some video too.

The more I use the t4i the more I enjoy it. Touch screen is really neat for when you need it - when you don't there's no problem just ignoring it, given complete "traditional" button controls.

The build quality is excellent, features are extensive/rich, form factor/ergonomics are super. And of course most importantly the image quality capabilities (always at the mercy of the quality of the lens being used) are outstanding.

Shooting RAW 18meg 5184x3456, about 6 frames/sec it's hard to complain about what you can't do with this camera body. With a long telephoto it's got amazing reach for outstanding quality image. With a small lens (e.g., 40mm pancake) it's downright discrete. With a macro lens, it's simply amazing.

Sticking within reasonable ISO range and knowing the unique strengths/weaknesses of whatever lens you're using, it's hard to imagine how one could really need more than what the t4i can offer. That's not to suggest there aren't some awesome Canon cameras well beyond the t4i specs. But dollar for dollar, I am just blown away by how little the t4i costs for what it delivers.

In short, for the price, I can't imagine more value per ounce. Couldn't be more pleased.

Rebel T4i; 40mm/2.8STM; 200mm/2.8L; 18-135mmSTM; Speedlite 430EXII; Kenko ETube DG set
Also: Canon G11

i-G12
Wat?
2,238 posts
Gallery: 189 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 03, 2012 09:42 |  #582

^^ +1

I'm a novice and have my T4i and am very pleased. Have plenty to learn and this camera give me a lot of room for growth.

Jason401
83 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 03, 2012 10:30 |  #583

Not sure if this has been posted...but there's a great deal on the T4i right now if anyone is waiting for one. It's $699 for the T4i with the 18-55 and 55-250.

http://slickdeals.net …55mm-lens-55250mm-is-lens (external link)

You could even sell one or both of the lenses if you already have them and make this an even better deal!

advaitin
Goldmember
4,624 posts
Gallery: 434 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2003

Dec 03, 2012 11:16 |  #584

It looks sort of like an afterthought attached to a Sigma 50-500mm OS lens, but the images are pretty good.

Critters that live in my yard:

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Canons to the left, Canons to the right,
We hold our L glass toward the light,
Digitizing in a snap reflective glory
That will forever tell our imaged story.

mkdevo
42 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 04, 2012 13:14 |  #585

Here's a look at some videos (live music) I shot this weekend with my T4i and 40mm pancake, if anyone is interested:

http://www.youtube.com …ukv6wu0vQtcz8gM​MKJSSIehTG (external link)

sponsored links

492,299 views & 52 likes for this thread
Official T4i Thread
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.