Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 21 Jun 2012 (Thursday) 00:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 60D Users, Unite! (4!)

Mowglee
177 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Sep 27, 2013 06:45 |  #5371

cab ny wrote in post #16328404 (external link)
real nice

Thank you, Cab ny

flickr (external link)

sponsored links
BurnUnit
808 posts
Gallery: 105 photos
Joined May 2012

Sep 27, 2013 13:55 |  #5372

NewCreation wrote in post #16328700 (external link)
Thanks. I will have to get better at studying the histogram...or smoother at setting up tethered. ;)

OOoooo.... Another 60D feature that I tend to forget about... Maybe enable the Highlight Alert feature to make sure you're not overexposing as well. :cool:

Canon 60D+EFs 18-200, EFs 10-18, G5, A20 (retired), Pentax Optio Z10, Powershot A620 and a recently adopted Digital Rebel/300D

"They've introduced a new camera that's so advanced, you don't even need it!"
Steven Wright

NewCreation
Goldmember
3,214 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2013

Sep 27, 2013 13:59 |  #5373

BurnUnit wrote in post #16329586 (external link)
OOoooo.... Another 60D feature that I tend to forget about... Maybe enable the Highlight Alert feature to make sure you're not overexposing as well. :cool:

Ooo...good reminder. :)

My name is Brenda ~Saved by grace, walking by faith
http://brendahoffmanph​otography.com (external link)
Facebook (external link)

CJCMarquez
Cream of the Crop
5,199 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 27, 2013 19:08 |  #5374

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the back LCD show a slightly processed shot so if it's slightly underexposed, it'll still look right on the LCD?

Chad or CJ
Gear/Feedback - 500px (external link) - Flickr (external link) - Facebook (external link)

NewCreation
Goldmember
3,214 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Sep 27, 2013 19:25 |  #5375

Yeah, it's slightly processed. Mine was set so it was not close to what was shot. I had the brightness all the way up. I must have needed it for something and forgot to put it back. :/ It didn't matter if I shot Av or Tv but in manual, I needed it closer to actual rendering. Unless, of course I really don't understand it at all and someone's gonna pipe up and set me in my place. ;)

Facebook (external link)

BurnUnit
808 posts
Joined May 2012

Sep 27, 2013 20:33 |  #5376

CJCMarquez wrote in post #16330171 (external link)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the back LCD show a slightly processed shot so if it's slightly underexposed, it'll still look right on the LCD?

OK. I find this bit of information to be more than a little disturbing. Is this something I've missed in the manual, or is it one of those "undocumented" features? :confused:

Canon 60D+EFs 18-200, EFs 10-18, G5, A20 (retired), Pentax Optio Z10, Powershot A620 and a recently adopted Digital Rebel/300D

Steven Wright

wrd
359 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Sep 27, 2013 21:51 |  #5377

IMAGE: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2880/9975029556_39f3ddd6d4_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/55786252@N02/9​975029556/  (external link)
Untitled (external link) by WRD! (external link), on Flickr

Sony A7iii | Canon 17-40 f/4L | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC | Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 VC
| Sigma 50mm f/1.4 | Rokinon 24mm f/1.4 | Feisol 3342 | Sirui K30x
Instagram @wrdphotography (external link)

CJCMarquez
Cream of the Crop
5,199 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 27, 2013 22:55 |  #5378

BurnUnit wrote in post #16330312 (external link)
OK. I find this bit of information to be more than a little disturbing. Is this something I've missed in the manual, or it one of those "undocumented" features? :confused:

I've never looked too deeply in the manual but I believe it essentially shows the processed jpeg.

Chad or CJ
Gear/Feedback - 500px (external link) - Flickr (external link) - Facebook (external link)

swhiggins
127 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 28, 2013 00:28 |  #5379

CJCMarquez wrote in post #16330171 (external link)

I'm not quite sure I'm following this 'the LCD is lighter' stuff, but the histogram that is displayed on the back of the camera is the histogram present for a jpg of the image... even if you're just shooting RAW and not saving jpg files. So the histogram on the back of the camera after a shot might be a little bit off. But if you shoot in raw you have 14 bits of data to play with per pixel, rather than the 8 bits for jpg, so you have a better shot at recovering clipped highlights. What this means is if the histogram on the back of the camera shows a lot of clipping and overexposure, you have a shot at recovering details in the clipped region (if you didn't overexpose too much...)

I try to get the center of the histogram about 2/3 of the way over from the left side of the histogram.

~Steve~ | 60D | S95 | 10-22 | 15-85 | 55-250 | 60 | 50/1.8 I

BurnUnit
808 posts
Joined May 2012

Sep 28, 2013 09:01 |  #5380

That sounds right, that it shows a processed jpeg, especially if it was shot as RAW. I can believe it's processed using whatever in-camera settings you've chosen as far as W/B, contrast, sharpness, etc. But I wouldn't expect it to slightly overexpose the shot on it's own just to make it look right on the LCD. Though I can't say for sure that it doesn't.

As far as adjusting the LCD's brightness goes, I've just always thought of that as a way to make the text menus more readable and to better see the changes you're making to the in camera settings. And also to check your focus and composition. But if you've got some blown-out highlights that appear in the histogram or a flashing Highlight Alert, then changing the LCD brightness may indeed make them look better on the LCD. But it doesn't do anything that indicates that you've actually corrected or changed the exposure.

Steven Wright

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
8,369 posts
Gallery: 434 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Sep 2012

Sep 28, 2013 09:22 |  #5381

Beautiful. There is just something about moving water. :)

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

vertigo235
Goldmember
2,009 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 28, 2013 10:48 |  #5382

IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5468/9982897046_2bbcde3608_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/vertigo235/9982​897046/  (external link)
IMG_6362 (external link) by vertigo235 (external link), on Flickr

Canon EOS 6D EOS 5D Mark III | Apple Iphone 6 | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM EF 85mm f/1.8 USM EF 17-40mm f/4L USM | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM 50mm F1.4 DG HSM ART | Samyang 85mm f/1.4 AS UMC | Canon Speedlite 430EX II Speedlite 90EX | Yongnuo YN-468II

swhiggins
127 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 28, 2013 10:58 |  #5383

BurnUnit wrote in post #16331118 (external link)
That sounds right, that it shows a processed jpeg, especially if it was shot as RAW. I can believe it's processed using whatever in-camera settings you've chosen as far as W/B, contrast, sharpness, etc. But I wouldn't expect it to slightly overexpose the shot on it's own just to make it look right on the LCD. Though I can't say for sure that it doesn't.

As far as adjusting the LCD's brightness goes, I've just always thought of that as a way to make the text menus more readable and to better see the changes you're making to the in camera settings. And also to check your focus and composition. But if you've got some blown-out highlights that appear in the histogram or a flashing Highlight Alert, then changing the LCD brightness may indeed make them look better on the LCD. But it doesn't do anything that indicates that you've actually corrected or changed the exposure.

Yeah, I wasn't sure if Brenda was talking about the display intensity or if she was talking about the histogram... I wasn't sure if she'd accidentally turned up exposure comp or the display brightness... the latter shouldn't matter at all...

NewCreation
Goldmember
3,214 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Sep 28, 2013 11:51 |  #5384

swhiggins wrote in post #16330641 (external link)
I'm not quite sure I'm following this 'the LCD is lighter' stuff, but the histogram that is displayed on the back of the camera is the histogram present for a jpg of the image... even if you're just shooting RAW and not saving jpg files. So the histogram on the back of the camera after a shot might be a little bit off. But if you shoot in raw you have 14 bits of data to play with per pixel, rather than the 8 bits for jpg, so you have a better shot at recovering clipped highlights. What this means is if the histogram on the back of the camera shows a lot of clipping and overexposure, you have a shot at recovering details in the clipped region (if you didn't overexpose too much...)

I try to get the center of the histogram about 2/3 of the way over from the left side of the histogram.

BurnUnit wrote in post #16331118 (external link)

So basically, for me to better check my exposure when I am in manual using speedlights off camera, I can't really rely on the lcd. I need to either shoot tethered or better read the histogram, right?

Facebook (external link)

swhiggins
127 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 28, 2013 16:27 |  #5385

NewCreation wrote in post #16331384 (external link)
So basically, for me to better check my exposure when I am in manual using speedlights off camera, I can't really rely on the lcd. I need to either shoot tethered or better read the histogram, right?

Not that I'm an expert on flash in manual mode, but yes, I think that would be best Brenda. Tethered is probably best if you're in the studio, but if you're shooting outside and moving around a lot you may just want to watch the histogram extra closely.

You've done some great portraits with the 70-200/2.8, I've enjoyed looking at them. You seem to have a particular talent for putting kids at ease...

sponsored links

1,463,527 views & 377 likes for this thread
Canon 60D Users, Unite! (4!)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.