Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 21 Jun 2012 (Thursday) 15:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How often do you have your camera with you?

madjack
Goldmember
2,027 posts
Gallery: 198 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 24, 2012 01:01 as a reply to  @ post 14623355 |  #31

well, it fell in the toilet once...;)

Canon 5D Mk IV | Canon 5D Mk II | Canon 7D | Canon 30D
Canon EF 16-35L IS | Canon EF 24-105L IS | Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 IS II | Canon EF 100-400L IS II | Canon EF 50mm-f/1.8
Canon EF-S 17-85 IS | Canon EF-S 18-55 | Canon EF 70-300 IS | RRS TVC 34L Tripod | RRS BH-55 Ballhead

sponsored links
Echo63
Goldmember
2,868 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 24, 2012 07:46 |  #32

If I'm at work it's always with me (I am a photographer after all)
If I'm not at work, I always have my iPhone (which is a reasonable P+S) and frequently my X100 too.
The X100 is a cool camera to play with, and helps keep the fun in photography (which some days I really need)

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​com (external link)
Gear listhttps://photography-on-the.net …p?p=2463426&pos​tcount=385

_aravena
isn't this answer a stickie yet?
12,458 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jun 24, 2012 09:21 |  #33

Pretty much all the time even around the ship. Never know when something will go down. Gotta be ready for the big or small events involving my shipmates.

Last Shot Photography
My Site (external link) ~ Gear List ~ Bag Reviews

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,605 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Jul 10, 2012 05:37 as a reply to  @ _aravena's post |  #34

I take mine with me most of the time, even when just popping into time to do the shopping. Seems that every time I don't take it something interesting happens.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Desertraptor
Cream of the Crop
11,550 posts
Gallery: 212 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Jul 10, 2012 06:25 |  #35

In the car always or on my back

Peter
Canon 6D|60D|40D
Lens 10-22mm f2.8|50mm f 1.8|100mm f2.8 Macro

24-70mm f2.8|L100-400mm f4.5-5.6L
Flash 430EX II
Telescope Skywatcher 600mm ED80 f7.5 GEM EQ3

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 10, 2012 09:25 as a reply to  @ post 14614128 |  #36

I pretty much have a camera with me most of the time. I used to make sure that this was my DSLR and several lenses but now it is more often just a good P&S to be able to shoot something that catches my eye. I used to always be looking for something to shoot but after shooting so much for work I am not always on the hunt for something anymore and if I do see something interesting the point and shoot will suffice.

There is nothing wrong with always having your camera with you but I suggest that you touch base with your insurance company to make sure that you have the best coverage for all situations when you have it away from home. Now that I have a grand daughter my DSLR is starting to travel with me more now in case I end up stopping at my son's place. Yesterday I drove about 250 miles for personal reasons and I did have two DSLR's with me and a couple extra lenses. Didn't shoot a thing though there were probably some landscape stuff I could have done.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

randy98mtu
Goldmember
3,934 posts
Gallery: 376 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 10, 2012 10:54 |  #37

I don't carry mine unless I'm planning to take pictures at a gathering, with my kids, niece and nephew, or on a family trip.

This inspires me to ask folks to share some of the spontaneous shots you have gotten when just out running errands. Convince the rest of us to start carrying our cameras with us!

Canon EOS M6 Mark II - EOS R5
Donate for Forum Costs

taemo
Goldmember
1,243 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jul 10, 2012 10:56 |  #38

I leave my DSLR at home unless there's an event or gathering I have to go to.
I bring my M6 on my bag all the time

earldieta.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - tumblr (external link) - gear/feedback
the spirit is willing but the body is sore and squishy
4 digital cameras | 14 film cameras

neilwood32
Cream of the Crop
6,231 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 10, 2012 10:58 as a reply to  @ ssim's post |  #39

I always tend to have something I can take photo's on. Whether that is the smartphone (Galaxy S2 has a decent camera), the P&S or the DSLR depends on circumstance.

The DSLR gets taken when I go out for photography walks etc with the prime purpose of taking photos.

The G12/ P&S gets taken when I am going out and there is a chance of some thing happening but CBA taking the backpack with everything.

The Galaxy S2 is good for the other times when snapshots are ok.

Having a camera makes you no more a photographer than having a hammer and some nails makes you a carpenter - Claude Adams
Keep calm and carry a camera!
My Gear

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jul 10, 2012 11:35 |  #40

randy98mtu wrote in post #14696794 (external link)
I don't carry mine unless I'm planning to take pictures at a gathering, with my kids, niece and nephew, or on a family trip.

This inspires me to ask folks to share some of the spontaneous shots you have gotten when just out running errands. Convince the rest of us to start carrying our cameras with us!

Personally, I carry mine more out of habit of going everywhere with a mid to heavy weight pack. Decades of lugging around textbooks has left me feeling weird if I'm not carrying something with a bit of heft to it on a daily basis, and I keep getting panic feelings of having forgotten something.

And I'm sure from a physical fitness standpoint the extra few pounds to carry doesn't hurt either, especially with a few flights of stairs thrown in.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

Channel ­ One
Goldmember
1,651 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 10, 2012 12:38 |  #41

benji25 wrote in post #14612720 (external link)
I am wondering how often you guys have your camera with you?

My primary camera which is a 1D MKII may not be with me all the time but it is always no more than a few seconds away from me locked up in my car or van, the same for my JVC GY-HD200 camcorder, lately though I have gotten into a habit of carrying a Canon P&S I was given last year which just happens to fit very nicely into a Blackberry carrying case.

While it is no where near as flexible as the 1D it has the advantage of being so small it’s easy to carry inconspicuously and being in a phone case no one thinks it is a camera/camcorder as such I keep it with me all of the time.

Wayne

Madness takes its toll, please have exact change. (external link)

NPPA Member District 6, never again.

Moose408
884 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 11, 2012 03:09 |  #42

My camera lives in the trunk of my car and my car is always close by. I have learned that if I see something on the side of the road to pull off and take the photo right then and there because if I don't and plan to come back, I either never do, or the conditions are different and the shot is no longer there.

I even wrote a blog post about this a year ago today.
http://www.craigcolvin​.com …7/20/carpe-occasione.html (external link)

Canon 5DmkII | 24-105mm f/4.0L IS | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 17-40mm f/4L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | 50mm f/1.8
Photography Blog (external link) | 500px (external link) | Model Mayhem (external link)

randy98mtu
Goldmember
3,934 posts
Gallery: 376 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 11, 2012 06:32 |  #43

Nice post. I like the shot featured and the close up of the broken keys. Also some of the bridge pictures, which I presume were also taken while out and about. I have often seen things that I thought about stopping to shoot also. There is 1 particular barn I pass every day. I keep thinking, one day they are going to knock it down and I hope I have stopped to shoot it before they do! I may have to start taking mine to work, though I'll feel a bit goofy carrying it to my desk every day because I won't leave it in the hot car.

Canon EOS M6 Mark II - EOS R5
Donate for Forum Costs

Calicajun
Goldmember
2,989 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 11, 2012 08:54 as a reply to  @ randy98mtu's post |  #44

All the time, a camera phone is always on my belt. Oh, you mean our real cameras, for me about half the time. It's too hot here I live to leave a camera (or pets) in the car, so trips to the store no camera but going to someone's house, the park or any kind of event I take the camera and sometime even take a picture or two.

Remember, Stressed spelled backward is Desserts.:)
Suggestions welcome.
5DIII, EF 50 1.4, EF 40 f2.8, EF 24-105L IS , EF 70-200 f4L IS, 580EX ll

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 11, 2012 09:32 |  #45

I don't go anywhere without a camera, although most of the time I don't use it unless I really want a shot. Sometimes I'll take a shot or two and just delete them later in camera.

Occasionally, however, I find something to shoot that makes me think, "Glad I brought the camera."

Thank you. bw!

sponsored links

6,094 views & 0 likes for this thread
How often do you have your camera with you?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.