Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental 
Thread started 21 Jun 2012 (Thursday) 21:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Recent untitled photo.

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 21, 2012 21:53 |  #1

I haven't shown anything here in a while, so here's something I did recently.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1194.photobuck​et.com …Fun_With_Frogs/​Prtrt2.jpg (external link)

sponsored links
JoshuaaT
94 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jun 21, 2012 23:29 |  #2

Interesting, it raises some questions right away. I am having a hard time trying to understand/focus on this picture. Could you explain this picture?

Canon T1i | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Sigma 55-200mm f/4-5.6 | Sigma 18-50mm | 70-200mm f/4 L

Andrew ­ Tingle
Goldmember
1,299 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 21, 2012 23:32 as a reply to  @ JoshuaaT's post |  #3

I'm a little lost too. My eye looks, it scans all over the picture and I'm left still not knowing where my main point of interest should be, if you know what I mean. It's kind of too busy, really, if that makes sense. Like there's so much going on that the point of the image becomes lost...

MY WEBSITE: Andrew Tingle Photography (external link) / ATP Facebook Page (external link) / My 500px  (external link) / Connect with me on FLICKR (external link)

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 21, 2012 23:56 |  #4

i really like it, very surreal. brings to mind the work of Andre Breton.

the only thing i'd change is that splotch of fire (?) in the lower right corner, my eye keeps heading toward it and i don't think that where you want your viewer.

Clean ­ Gene
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 23, 2012 03:34 |  #5

rick_reno wrote in post #14614610 (external link)
i really like it, very surreal. brings to mind the work of Andre Breton.

the only thing i'd change is that splotch of fire (?) in the lower right corner, my eye keeps heading toward it and i don't think that where you want your viewer.

Hrmmm...Very good point.

I actually want something there. I think that sort of adds a nice triangular element to the composition. Also, I like to pay attention to lines. In this case, I was particularly concerned about the vertical green line. It's prominent enough that I feel like it could lead my eye straight out of the photo, so I want something there to stop that flow. An anchor or a base of some sort, just something to stop that line and keep my eye from going out of the photo.

But fire? I think you're right on that. I think that something should be there. But when you put it like that, I completely agree. The fire is just way too bright, and therefore it competes way too much for attention. Thanks for the feedback, I completely agree.

Clean ­ Gene
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 23, 2012 04:06 |  #6

Andrew Tingle wrote in post #14614545 (external link)
I'm a little lost too. My eye looks, it scans all over the picture and I'm left still not knowing where my main point of interest should be, if you know what I mean. It's kind of too busy, really, if that makes sense. Like there's so much going on that the point of the image becomes lost...

That's an actually very interesting comment, because I personally feel that (compositionally at least) this image is actually really SIMPLE.

However, you did make two comments. One about where your main point of interest should be, and one about how the point of the image becomes lost. Well, here are my replies to that...

1) If you don't know where the main point of interest should be, then please do not concern yourself with that. I'd like to know where the main point of interest IS. I'm not asking you to comment on what I WANTED the image to be, I'm asking you to comment on what the image is. Where the point of interest is supposed to be is irrelevant. Tell me where the point of image IS. Is there one point of interest? No point of interest? Three points of interest?

I did note that you found the image to be "busy". I still don't see that, and would appreciate some input as to HOW it was busy. But that just leads to another question...

2) If it is busy, does that business help or does it hurt? I'm just saying...While I usually tend to go simple, I've seen plenty of busy photographs that I felt TOTALLY worked. It just depends on whether or not being busy or simple hurts or helps that particular image. If being busy hurts this image, why?

3) Have you ever had this thing happen, where you say/type/write a word so much that it just ends up looking stupid and wrong? Like...I know how to spell "busy". I've typed/written it millions of times before, and never misspelled it (aside from mere typos, and being drunk). Yet, I', sitting here looking at the word and I'm like, WTF? "Busy? That just doesn't look right."

4) Anyway, I've digressed. You say that the point of the image got lost. Well...is there a point to the image? And that's not a rhetorical question. I'm, genuinely asking. Is there a point to the image? If your answer is "no", then that's fine. But say that. Tell me that you looked at it, and there is no point to the image. I can agree or disagree, but don't base your comments on assumptions about what I wanted from the image. Talk about what the image says. It's not about me, it's about the work.

And yes, if you feel that the work IS saying "there's no point to this", then please say that. If that's what's the work is saying, then tell me so. Please don't concern yourself with what I wanted the image to say/mean, because once I posted it, it stopped being about me. Just tell me what you see, and then tell me what you're getting out of it.

sponsored links

818 views & 0 likes for this thread
Recent untitled photo.
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.