Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 23 Jun 2012 (Saturday) 10:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1DX owners unite! Discuss and post photos!

petr321
127 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 02, 2012 11:29 |  #1831

elrey2375 wrote in post #14937090 (external link)
As freewheeling as I can be with money, I still like to think I get good value out of a purchase. I guess I'm still debating the value of purchasing the X. I'm stuck on things that are hard to quanify, but beg for quantification. Do I see roughly $3K more performance than a MKIV? Very questionable. I understand that people in this thread won't badmouth their new purchase, if for no other reason than they don't want to admit their purchase was not all they dreamed it would be. And that's totally understandable, I would do the same thing. I guess I just don't see anything yet that illustrates $3K worth of value over a MKIV.

I would think to a pro that makes a living from there camera that one shot or two more shots in dead focus would pay for 3k in one shoot. It could mean making the cover shot or not making it. 3k is cheep that case. To the guy taking a pick of his kid on a bike no not at all.

Sony A7II & A7RII
Sony 16-35 f4 , 55 f1.8 , 70-200 f4

sponsored links
PhotoGeek
Goldmember
1,120 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 02, 2012 12:21 |  #1832

elrey2375 wrote in post #14937090 (external link)
As freewheeling as I can be with money, I still like to think I get good value out of a purchase. I guess I'm still debating the value of purchasing the X. I'm stuck on things that are hard to quanify, but beg for quantification. Do I see roughly $3K more performance than a MKIV? Very questionable. I understand that people in this thread won't badmouth their new purchase, if for no other reason than they don't want to admit their purchase was not all they dreamed it would be. And that's totally understandable, I would do the same thing. I guess I just don't see anything yet that illustrates $3K worth of value over a MKIV.

In my case, I moved from a 1DIII. While I am real happy with that camera's performance over five years, the 1DX focus and ISO performance is just that much better. However, I can't justify the extra cost economically since I make no money off photography. On the other hand, I have no buyer's remorse or second thoughts, perhaps because I'm lucky to be in a position where the cost was not a huge consideration.

1DX, 1DIII, lenses, flashes, wires and stuff
http://jimlanterphotog​raphy.com (external link)

jlbrach
219 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Sep 02, 2012 12:27 |  #1833

THe value of a particular product varies from person to person and situation to situation....is a 1DX worth 3000 dollars more than a 1D4?Who knows?If you can afford it it is because it definitely is a better camera...I know because I just bought a 1DX and still own a 1D4 which I will sell...is a mercedes or BMW worth 30,000 dollars more than a Camry?It sure is if you can afford it!

canon 5d3,,1d4
85L,35L,,200 2.8,135L,70-200 2.8 ISv2

MaDProFF
Goldmember
4,366 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 02, 2012 12:31 |  #1834

I think that the 1DX, as well as the 5D MK3 are bodies that people will hang to for a long time, where as 5D MK2 1D Mk3 (loads of reasons why ) and even Mk 4 were in my view not great updates to previous models, Although the 1D MK4 is a very good body all round.
Extremely happy with the recent upgrades over older bodies in those 2 models.

Photographic Images on Brett Butler (external link) px500 (external link) & Flickr (external link) Some Canon Bodies , few blackish lenses, A dam heavy black one, couple dirty white ones, a 3 legged walking stick, a mono walking stick, and a bag full of rubbish :oops:
And Still Learning all walks of life, & most of all Photography.

Candersson
Goldmember
1,143 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 02, 2012 12:58 |  #1835

PUREVIL wrote in post #14937362 (external link)
Any ideas why my EOS utility does not open or it closes when i connect my 1dx?

When you have your camera connected. In EOS Utility, goto "Main Window", select "Preferences". Under the tab "Basic settings" you have the option "Start EOS Utility automatically when the camera is conneted"
Works great :)

- Thomas -
1DX/1DIV/7D/5DmkII and Lenses | WWW (external link)
So much to learn, so little time...

Erik ­ S. ­ Klein
uppity vermin fan
1,065 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 02, 2012 12:59 |  #1836

Bummed to say but I've discovered a bug in the 1Dx that appears to be firmware related.

I'm able to reproduce it consistently and I saw it mentioned on the CR forums so it appears to be legit. Just not sure how widespread.

I was doing 3 shot brackets at +/- 3 stops using the default values in the camera. Whenever the final exposure gets relatively long (1/4 second or longer, give or take) the camera has problems - usually Err 70, sometimes it just locks completely. Images may or may not be written to the card(s.)

I was using the 1Dx on a tripod with a 70-200II at 5.6 or 6.3 (aperture priority), ISO 100, in a moderately lit indoor setting. When the overexposed images were metered at 1/4-1/2 or slower the err 70 occurred. Up the ISO or open the aperture (to speed up the final exposure) and all was fine. Take the shots individually (not bracketed) and everything worked.

I reproduced this while on the phone with Canon last night. Going to send the camera in during the week so they can check it out and see what I'm seeing.

If anyone here wants to try to reproduce this it's a pretty straightforward setup and I'd love to hear if I'm alone in this.

BTW, I did the firmware upgrade to 1.0.6 before this shoot so I don't know if it's a new bug or existed on the older firmware...

Gear List
www.vintage-computer.com (external link)

MaDProFF
Goldmember
4,366 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 02, 2012 13:08 |  #1837

Sorry to hear that, be good to hear if it FW related to 1-0-6, I have done some bracketed shots no probs, but they were not slow shutter speed ones

Photographic Images on Brett Butler (external link) px500 (external link) & Flickr (external link) Some Canon Bodies , few blackish lenses, A dam heavy black one, couple dirty white ones, a 3 legged walking stick, a mono walking stick, and a bag full of rubbish :oops:

PUREVIL
752 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 02, 2012 16:53 |  #1838

Candersson wrote in post #14938345 (external link)
When you have your camera connected. In EOS Utility, goto "Main Window", select "Preferences". Under the tab "Basic settings" you have the option "Start EOS Utility automatically when the camera is conneted"
Works great :)

Problem is if i have the camera connected and on... the EU shuts off. I can start it with the camera connected and off, but if I turn it on EU shuts downs. When I turn on the camera with EU OFF, it tires to load EU but then nothing.... it shuts down after a certain point. I even tired blowing it away and reinstalling it, same issues. Im using a Mac with Mountain Lion, and i updated the 1Dx to the current firmware.

1DX |1Ds MKIII | 7D | 40D | 10-22mm f/3.5 | 50mm f/1.2L | 50mm f/1.4 | 100mm macro f/2.8 | 17-55mm f/2.8 | 16-35mm f/2.8L | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L | (3) 580EXII | Lots Of Other Canon Gear And Accessories.

MaDProFF
Goldmember
4,366 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 02, 2012 17:01 |  #1839

Playing around tonight with the AI in low light conditions, first body where AI actually works in low light, not perfect my any imagination, but at least you now have some chance to nail some movement in poor light.

had to Blur the BW image as after resizing I felt it was actually over sharp. Colour ISO 12800, BW ISO 25600

Took around 100 images and 1DX did ok for slight movement holding the focus as the kitten moved around, but once it started running tracking would not stay locked at all, though lets face it a kitten is not exactly slow lol with a 135mm L just get into min focus so quick.
Still impressed never actually got any Canon camera to track in this poor light, or even really lock focus fast enough before the kitten moves (other kittens in the past)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Chet
my rates fluctuate
43,589 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 02, 2012 17:03 |  #1840

Not sure he likes you. Both poses appear as he wants to rip your heart out and eat it. So I suppose that kind of raw killer emotion is wonderfully captured.

MaDProFF
Goldmember
4,366 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 02, 2012 17:07 |  #1841

heh, actually kitten is really gentle, it is the fact I am holding a paper ball in one hand above my head to attract her attention, and holding camera in other other hand.

Please with the results tbh really not very easy to capture images of a kitten in the running around at 100mph all the time, just need more light to get her in full motion, and space

Candersson
Goldmember
1,143 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 02, 2012 18:31 |  #1842

PUREVIL wrote in post #14939189 (external link)
Problem is if i have the camera connected and on... the EU shuts off. I can start it with the camera connected and off, but if I turn it on EU shuts downs. When I turn on the camera with EU OFF, it tires to load EU but then nothing.... it shuts down after a certain point. I even tired blowing it away and reinstalling it, same issues. Im using a Mac with Mountain Lion, and i updated the 1Dx to the current firmware.

OK. To my knowledge there were som issues with EOS Utility and Mac.
I don't know if Canon have worked it out yet... Go check for any updates

- Thomas -
1DX/1DIV/7D/5DmkII and Lenses | WWW (external link)
So much to learn, so little time...

PUREVIL
752 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 02, 2012 18:32 |  #1843

I spent most of the afternoon at the auto x testing out the camera and practicing panning..... im happy with these pics but I know I could do better. I noticed parts would be sharp, while other parts of the car wouldnt be.... what would cause that? I wish I would have tired more settings, but there is always another day. I gotta keep practicing panning! Here are some of my favs, the rest will be at the link at the end.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i816.photobucke​t.com …ic%202012/2012a​utox02.jpg (external link)

http://i816.photobucke​t.com …ic%202012/2012a​utox15.jpg (external link)

http://i816.photobucke​t.com …ic%202012/2012a​utox50.jpg (external link)

http://i816.photobucke​t.com …ic%202012/2012a​utox40.jpg (external link)

http://i816.photobucke​t.com …ic%202012/2012a​utox56.jpg (external link)

Motor Magic 2012 pictures by JEEVIL - Photobucket (external link)

1DX |1Ds MKIII | 7D | 40D | 10-22mm f/3.5 | 50mm f/1.2L | 50mm f/1.4 | 100mm macro f/2.8 | 17-55mm f/2.8 | 16-35mm f/2.8L | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L | (3) 580EXII | Lots Of Other Canon Gear And Accessories.

PUREVIL
752 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 02, 2012 18:33 |  #1844

Candersson wrote in post #14939526 (external link)
OK. To my knowledge there were som issues with EOS Utility and Mac.
I don't know if Canon have worked it out yet... Go check for any updates

I tired looking for updates for the EU but I couldn't find anything thus far... so if any other mac users know where its at can you please PM me a link or something? Thanks!!!

MaDProFF
Goldmember
4,366 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 02, 2012 18:36 |  #1845

Purevil depends what shutter speed you were using, if very slow, any movement of the car i.e. suspension going up and down will make that area oof due to shutter lag (Speed)

sponsored links

3,736,134 views & 5,003 likes for this thread
1DX owners unite! Discuss and post photos!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.