Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 23 Jun 2012 (Saturday) 10:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1DX owners unite! Discuss and post photos!

ChrisGorabPhotography
Goldmember
1,572 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 12, 2012 19:32 as a reply to  @ post 14708754 |  #466

I don't think I've ever posted 100% crops before, but I think I did it correctly. Here is an image of one of my mutts at ISO 6400 and a 100% crop of that photo. I also pushed it one stop in ACR and posted that with a 100% crop. No other sharpening or noise reduction. These are with my 70-200 2.8 IS II at 70mm wide open at f2.8 and 1/125. Absolutely thrilled with the camera's quality.

IMAGE: https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-YdW7EIdPo74/T_9rahweyjI/AAAAAAAARPs/O2pSvyjmmBE/s1024/1DX_0031.jpg

IMAGE: https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-tBcJd_3kezE/T_9rSRdLP3I/AAAAAAAARPc/3J38fULg8Z0/s1024/1DX_0031%2520crop.jpg

IMAGE: https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-J0GQZwYOHFk/T_9rak-eJ-I/AAAAAAAARP0/FkHI2fHhyMo/s1024/1DX_0031%2520pushed.jpg

IMAGE: https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-8PVNgIyvy-w/T_9rSYXEwrI/AAAAAAAARPg/dKFfkEFA9B8/s1024/1DX_0031%2520pushed%2520crop.jpg

-Chris (also formally known as "imtrashed" if searching feedback thread)
GEAR LIST/FEEDBACK

sponsored links
jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 12, 2012 19:37 |  #467

Chris, your photos aren't showing up.

Chet
my rates fluctuate
43,580 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 12, 2012 19:40 |  #468

Looks good Chris!

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

ChrisGorabPhotography
Goldmember
1,572 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 12, 2012 19:40 as a reply to  @ ChrisGorabPhotography's post |  #469

Here's a shot at ISO 12800, using 70-200 2.8 IS II at 165mm, f4, 1/125. And the 100% crop. GREAT detail retention at ISO 12800. I can say that I'll actually use 12800, instead of setting the max ISO at 6400, as I have in the past. Plus, I'll never really have photos blown up as big as the 100% crop, so it would be silly for me to be overly critical at that level.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/png' | Byte size: ZERO

IMAGE: https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-ZYd22Xy1fi0/T_9tdm3_lBI/AAAAAAAARQE/L1LMTsNf9eA/s1024/1DX_0025%2520crop.jpg

GEAR LIST/FEEDBACK

ChrisGorabPhotography
Goldmember
1,572 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 12, 2012 19:41 as a reply to  @ ChrisGorabPhotography's post |  #470

The show up fine for me.

Chet, you can see them, right?

Julian, not sure why you can't.

GEAR LIST/FEEDBACK

Chet
my rates fluctuate
43,580 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 12, 2012 19:42 |  #471

I do see them, Dog, and lovely lady.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
My Gear List

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 12, 2012 19:46 |  #472

ChrisGorabPhotography wrote in post #14708850 (external link)
The show up fine for me.

Chet, you can see them, right?

Julian, not sure why you can't.

Weird...:confused:

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 12, 2012 19:49 |  #473

^Nevermind. I switched browsers.;) Looks good to me. How's the WB sooc? Is it accurate?

ChrisGorabPhotography
Goldmember
1,572 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 12, 2012 19:56 as a reply to  @ jdizzle's post |  #474

WB is something I never touch on the camera. I always leave it on AUTO and never really pay it any mind, since I shoot RAW and fine tune it in ACR anyway.

GEAR LIST/FEEDBACK

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 12, 2012 20:04 |  #475

ChrisGorabPhotography wrote in post #14708913 (external link)
WB is something I never touch on the camera. I always leave it on AUTO and never really pay it any mind, since I shoot RAW and fine tune it in ACR anyway.

I understand all that but, does the sooc WB RAW file look pretty close before you even edit it in ACR? ;)

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 12, 2012 20:07 |  #476

jdizzle wrote in post #14708883 (external link)
^Nevermind. I switched browsers.;) Looks good to me. How's the WB sooc? Is it accurate?

You'd do better to ask a PJ or Sports shooter who often has to work in jpeg...

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

ChrisGorabPhotography
Goldmember
1,572 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 12, 2012 20:07 as a reply to  @ ChrisGorabPhotography's post |  #477

Here is another at ISO 25600. I wouldn't have thought I'd use ISO 25600 much, but I guess I could. This is without any noise reduction. And I'm by no means a professional. Just a quick snap of my dog just now at ISO 25600, f2, 1/500 on my 35L. Still retains great detail, which for me, is more important than a lack of noise. Noise at ISO this high is expected.

IMAGE: https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-zpIXD1OMSZQ/T_9z4exhCrI/AAAAAAAARQk/7BIDWAZ3uOs/s1024/1DX_0160.jpg

IMAGE: https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-MiZ5NzkwLZk/T_9zyDAesxI/AAAAAAAARQc/rh5KX-tYGRY/s1024/1DX_0160%2520crop.jpg

GEAR LIST/FEEDBACK

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 12, 2012 20:29 |  #478

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #14708956 (external link)
You'd do better to ask a PJ or Sports shooter who often has to work in jpeg...

It makes sense for PJ/Sports but, these newer cameras should be close to the WB represented SOOC in RAW. :)

Chet
my rates fluctuate
43,580 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 12, 2012 20:37 |  #479

Can you over expose by about a stop at 25,600 and show us the result?

My Gear List

narlus
Cream of the Crop
7,666 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jul 12, 2012 21:48 |  #480

i am part of the great unwashed who doesn't own a 1Dx, but i'll attempt to answer your questions.

ChrisGorabPhotography wrote in post #14708747 (external link)
I know it's worth the money I paid. That was never in question.

your first sentence reads like "I just paid $500 for these jeans, and i know they are totally worth it." others can find fully functional jeans at the gap for 1/10th the price. there are markets for both products.

And for others, I'm sure they will go back and forth to try and figure out if it's worth the money they're thinking about paying. Is all the negativity regarding price? I can't imagine the price is all that surprising. I get the feeling the negative comments regarding the body are about the quality of the camera itself, which is silly, since all of the negative comments are coming from those that don't own the camera. But I guess anyone that bought it will post positive comments anyway.

the price i'm sure has a lot to do w/ it, but i don't see people knocking camera qualities. where do you read that? i'm sure there's a fair amount of jealousy involved from some non-buyers, just as there's justification from some buyers who have very little experience w/ the camera so far.

We know that the 1DX has better image quality and features than any other bodies to date.

really? how do we know that? how do you measure image quality? if you were to take a 5D3 and 1Dx and shoot the same subject w/ the same lighting and lens, do you think you'd pass an ABX test?

Are people really getting worked up about whether it's 1 stop better, 2 stops better, 2/3 stops better? Have people been on the fence about buying and opted against buying because it's only 1-2 stops better than the 5DIII? It's better.

sounds a lot like that buyer justification i mentioned earlier. and no, it's not 2 stops better.

But really, it's just a different camera. The image quality is better (how much is subjective) but there are also many other better features, the most significant being the AF tracking superiority.

i wouldn't say that's the most significant, as it's really hard to adequately measure how well it works and what sort of keepers the 1Dx would yield where the 5D3 would fail. the key distinguishing features i see are fps, spot metering linked to AF point, robust build and weather sealing.

Some will probably say it's not worth it for wedding photogs, and that may be the case if budgets are keeping them from buying 2 of these, but if they were the same price as the 5DIII, I'm sure there would be no argument. If that's the case, why knock the 1DX for anything other than price?... which in my opinion (and not my wife's) is pretty worth it.

i had pre-ordered one of these bodies in December. i was totally sold on it. then the 5D3 specs and price came out, and then the camera actually was available for use, long before the 1Dx was. at almost half the price, it hits nearly all the things I want my camera to do as is a large improvement from the 5D2. i live at high ISO, so i could certainly use the incrementally better high ISO performance of the 1Dx but there was no way i could justify the cost, to me or my wife. others certainly feel different, and that's fine. people can spend their cash how they like. hell, some people even drive H2s.

www.tinnitus-photography.com (external link)
Facebook link (external link)

gear list

sponsored links

3,535,723 views & 4,915 likes for this thread
1DX owners unite! Discuss and post photos!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.