Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 23 Jun 2012 (Saturday) 10:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1DX owners unite! Discuss and post photos!

magirus
93 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Aug 2011

Apr 06, 2021 01:51 |  #8746

I went out for a walk to try some things on the new to me 1DX, ie. an RRS L plate, tripod and 10 stop ND filter. However there was too much breeze on the water for what I wanted, but the settings I'd loaded to C1 came in handy instead. I'd set this up as "grab and go" for action if needed, 1/2000 sec, Auto ISO, f5.6, high frame rate. I'd not used Auto ISO on my previous cameras because I didn't find the higher ISOs too good, but no reservations now with a much greater range and mostly usable. Quite handy that an oarsman hove into view . . .

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/1DX/i-z9bDhNx/0/d75c3509/XL/oarsman3mono-XL.jpg

sponsored links
Tirpitz
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Nov 2020
Post edited 1 month ago by Tirpitz. (2 edits in all)

Apr 07, 2021 06:51 |  #8747

Nice pic! I've have also bought one very recently and set mostly the same way in C3, i.e. a "oh s*it/sport/action" shooting mode with AI servo, AutoISO, wide focus area and fast shutter speed. Luckily AutoISO implementation is already the "modern" Canon one so you can configure it to your liking, never felt the need to disengage it, unless I'm shooting from a tripod.

Another neat "trick" (which I'm sure most of the people in this forum knows since years, sorry) is to assign a pre-definined AF point to a button and make it also a high precision one, so you can pinpoint something on the fly which is mostly hidden by an obstruction and know that it will (likely) be perfectly in focus :-) (this is something that even my mighty modern A9 can't do..)

airbutchie
Not too crunchy
13,200 posts
Gallery: 364 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 07, 2021 12:12 |  #8748

"Landscape Lexus" forging through the Valley of Fire @ Overton, NV...

:)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Hi. My name is Butch...
Complete Gear List | Flickr Vault (external link) | Instagram (external link)

airbutchie
Not too crunchy
13,200 posts
Gallery: 364 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 07, 2021 13:04 |  #8749

Impromptu portrait with my nephew @ Valley of Fire... Profoto A1 (bare with TTL) for fill light...

:)

HOSTED PHOTO
Photo from airbutchie's gallery.

Hi. My name is Butch...
Complete Gear List | Flickr Vault (external link) | Instagram (external link)

magirus
93 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Aug 2011

Apr 07, 2021 17:12 |  #8750

Tirpitz wrote in post #19219649 (external link)
Nice pic! I've have also bought one very recently and set mostly the same way in C3, i.e. a "oh s*it/sport/action" shooting mode with AI servo, AutoISO, wide focus area and fast shutter speed. Luckily AutoISO implementation is already the "modern" Canon one so you can configure it to your liking, never felt the need to disengage it, unless I'm shooting from a tripod.

Another neat "trick" (which I'm sure most of the people in this forum knows since years, sorry) is to assign a pre-definined AF point to a button and make it also a high precision one, so you can pinpoint something on the fly which is mostly hidden by an obstruction and know that it will (likely) be perfectly in focus :-) (this is something that even my mighty modern A9 can't do..)

Thanks. I'd not considered using Auto ISO as default, I think I'll give it a go for a while and see what the 1DX gives as opposed to what I might have manually set in my usual Av.

Tirpitz
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Nov 2020

Apr 07, 2021 22:40 as a reply to  @ magirus's post |  #8751

At the end if you think a good AutoISO implementation (and performance of the underlying body of course) can allow you either to use an Av mode but with a minimum shutter speed or an M mode in which you fully decide both shutter speed and aperture but don't have to worry that your exposure is completely off-kilter, while being able to concentrate on composition, focus, how fast you want your shutter and how much depth of field you'd like to see in your frame, which is already quite a lot to think of (at least it is for me, without having to worry even about the ISO value). Of course some fine-tuning through the exp. comp. dial could be necessary anyway depending on the scene you have in front, but should it be indeed marginal at best.

For me is a much more liberating way to shoot, I've decided to shelve the 1DsIII in favor of the 1Dx mostly for this reason (and much better ISO performance to go along with it).

karrera
114 posts
Gallery: 53 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 24, 2021 12:23 |  #8752

Visitors in the back yard yesterday

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

karrera
114 posts
Gallery: 53 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 24, 2021 12:29 |  #8753

A couple of more of the Pilated Woodpecker - this bird stands almost 18" tall - much bigger than a crow.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links

3,744,716 views & 5,008 likes for this thread
1DX owners unite! Discuss and post photos!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.