Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 24 Jun 2012 (Sunday) 19:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 580 Speedlite Output Seems Low When Used Wirelessly

uneek78
340 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jun 24, 2012 19:56 |  #1

I have recently started using my Canon 580 speedlite on a stand with umbrellas. I use a canon speedlite transmitter ST-E2. For some reason the light output doesn't seem as bright using the transmitter as when I have the speedlite on the camera and adjust the output. I turn up the transmitter as high as possible and I see the difference in the output, but it appears limited. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Was wondering if the umbrella is unnecessary and if I just need to turn the speedlites directly at the subject.

Gerard Payne | www.gerardpayne.com (external link)
Canon Rebel T1i | Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Canon 24-105L |Canon 55-250mm f/4-5.6

sponsored links
PhotoMatte
Goldmember
1,707 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 24, 2012 20:34 |  #2

A few questions:
Is your 580EXII set to High Speed Sync (HSS)? That can cause a lower flash output.
Have you done a test with both flashes (flash on-camera versus flash off-camera) the same distance from your subject? Try this, shooting everything in Manual mode (both your camera and your 580) both times and see if you experience any light dropoff. Also, you will indeed see a reduction in flash output when it's positioned behind an umbrella.
Finally, when you say you may need to 'just turn the speedlites directly at the subject' does this mean you were using bounce flash before or are you bouncing the remote flash on the stand? When shooting through an umbrella it's advisable to have it aimed at your subjects (how much of an angle is up to you, but you definitely don't want to be bouncing a remote flash through an umbrella; that will indeed give you very little light). Bouncing your flash, on-camera, is intended to give the same look as if you shot the image with a remote flash that was aimed at the subject and shot through some kind of diffuser (softbox, umbrella, etc). If you don't have the ability to shoot with off-camera flashes, bounce by all means. If you are shooting with off-camera flashes, aim them at your subject (preferably through an umbrella or softbox).

the site (external link)
the blog (external link)
Smugmug (external link)
My gear: Canon, Macintosh, Adobe

uneek78
THREAD ­ STARTER
340 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jun 25, 2012 07:19 |  #3

PhotoMatte wrote in post #14626698 (external link)
A few questions:
Is your 580EXII set to High Speed Sync (HSS)? That can cause a lower flash output.
Have you done a test with both flashes (flash on-camera versus flash off-camera) the same distance from your subject? Try this, shooting everything in Manual mode (both your camera and your 580) both times and see if you experience any light dropoff. Also, you will indeed see a reduction in flash output when it's positioned behind an umbrella.
Finally, when you say you may need to 'just turn the speedlites directly at the subject' does this mean you were using bounce flash before or are you bouncing the remote flash on the stand? When shooting through an umbrella it's advisable to have it aimed at your subjects (how much of an angle is up to you, but you definitely don't want to be bouncing a remote flash through an umbrella; that will indeed give you very little light). Bouncing your flash, on-camera, is intended to give the same look as if you shot the image with a remote flash that was aimed at the subject and shot through some kind of diffuser (softbox, umbrella, etc). If you don't have the ability to shoot with off-camera flashes, bounce by all means. If you are shooting with off-camera flashes, aim them at your subject (preferably through an umbrella or softbox).

I have always used my speedlites on camera, with the camera on manual, & and the flash on ETTL. I'm only familiar as far as the flash is concerned how to increase and decrease the light output. This was my first time using stand and umbrellas. I had the flash bouncing off the inside of the umbrella and bouncing back to hit the subject. This is a link to the umbrellas I'm using (http://www.amazon.com …eywords=westcot​t+umbrella (external link)). I'm gonna have to figure out how to adjust HSS when I get home today. After frustation I finally put the speedlite back on the camera and was able to get the results I needed. I had not idea what was hindering the flash, but I hope it's simple as a setting.

I wondered about the umbrella deal, but I thought that was suppose to enhance the light. I'm a newbie when it comes to using off camera flash, but on camera flash is up my alley.

Madwrench
633 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jun 25, 2012 10:03 as a reply to  @ uneek78's post |  #4

Don't give up! Off-camera gives you far more control over the light, but it definitely can be confusing.

I suggest you start out using manual control of the flash rather than E-TTL as you explore OCF, particularly for a non-dynamic situation, where the distance between flash/camera/subject do not greatly change. In manual, YOU make the decisions, and just as with using manual exposure settings on your camera, you will learn much more quickly that way. Canon's E-TTL system generally gives good results, but can be inconsistent, and won't help you learn much.

I also strongly recommend Neil van Niekerk's writing. You can find his blog HERE (external link). There are a lot of very helpful articles in his "Tangents" section, for both on- and off-camera flash application. He also has written books about on- and -ff camera flash (he achieves some amazing results with on-camera strobes).

Edits: Regarding the umbrella use: Nothing wrong with the brolly. You can use that umbrella to bounce or shoot-through. Install the black cover for bounce. Keep using it. Turning a bare speedlite at the subject will give you very hard (harsh) light. When you use an umbrella (or any other diffuser), the light gets softer (more dispersed) the closer the umbrella is to the subject.

uneek78
THREAD ­ STARTER
340 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jun 28, 2012 07:26 |  #5

PhotoMatte wrote in post #14626698 (external link)
A few questions:

Do you know a specific way to turn on high speed sync? The settings on this little thing are tough to figure out. I guess I did at least figure out how to control them remotely, but this output change has really thrown me for a loop.

msowsun
"approx 8mm"
9,250 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 28, 2012 17:12 |  #6

uneek78 wrote in post #14628162 (external link)
I wondered about the umbrella deal, but I thought that was suppose to enhance the light. I'm a newbie when it comes to using off camera flash, but on camera flash is up my alley.

Maybe you are expecting too much from your flash. Umbrellas don't enhance the light. They absorb the light, spread it around, and actually reduce the amount of light reaching your subject. What you end up with is LESS light, not more, if you fire a flash into an umbrella.

Mike Sowsun / S110 / SL1 / 80D / EF-S 24mm STM / EF-S 10-18mm STM / EF-S 18-55mm STM / EF-S 15-85mm USM / EF-S 18-135mm USM / EF-S 55-250mm STM / 5D3 / Samyang 14mm 2.8 / EF 40mm 2.8 STM / EF 50mm 1.8 STM / EF 100mm 2.0 USM / EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro / EF 24-105mm IS / EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS Mk II / EF 1.4x II
Full Current and Previously Owned Gear List over 40 years Flickr Photostream (external link)

DanThoman
Goldmember
2,626 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 28, 2012 20:27 |  #7

There is a button marked hss on the 580, top row second from right (I think) which turns the hss on and off. The umbrella makes the light source much larger, and therefore softer. I found that I sometimes need to increase the amount of light from the flash when using an umbrella (even when I'm using ETTL). It's easily done using the FEC on the camera.

Dan
my gear
www.thomanstudio.com (external link)
www.Buckheadwoodcrafte​rs.com (external link)
http://thomanstudio.co​m/blog (external link)

adamsheehy
485 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jun 28, 2012 20:55 |  #8

uneek78 wrote in post #14626526 (external link)
I have recently started using my Canon 580 speedlite on a stand with umbrellas. I use a canon speedlite transmitter ST-E2. For some reason the light output doesn't seem as bright using the transmitter as when I have the speedlite on the camera and adjust the output. I turn up the transmitter as high as possible and I see the difference in the output, but it appears limited. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Was wondering if the umbrella is unnecessary and if I just need to turn the speedlites directly at the subject.

Are you aware that you're not able to control the output with the ST-E2 when flash is in manual mode? Ie, you could have the ST-E2 at 1:1 (those numbers on the ST-E2 do not equate to the power of the flash that it's triggering), but the flash might not be actually firing at full power? Just a thought.

flickr (external link)

uneek78
THREAD ­ STARTER
340 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jun 29, 2012 11:42 |  #9

In fact you are all correct. This is extremely embarassing and I'm sorry for wasting your time, but you have taught me some things in my quest to figure out off-camera lighting. First, I never knew about a lot of things you guys have told me especially HSS. I now what it is and have found it and can turn it on. Thank you all! Without much further ado I will tell you why I have wasted you alls brain cells:

I was pressing the button on the canon wireless trigger left assuming that was the correct way to increase the output instead of going right to increase the output.

My bad.... I feel silly enough right now, but I have a hard time letting you guys wrack your brains in here while I realized it was something stupid on my part.

I had my sister come over lastnight and stand in as a model and set-up my little mobile studio that I have not yet used and realized this immediately.

sponsored links

1,615 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 580 Speedlite Output Seems Low When Used Wirelessly
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.