Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 26 Jun 2012 (Tuesday) 14:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Insulted by acccident

BaghdadFred
871 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 26, 2012 14:54 |  #1

I was shooting at a birthday event tonight for the Admiral and was accidentally insulted by one of the guests.

I was hanging out with the new public affairs officer who just arrived last week, who shoots an D7000 (mostly on full auto mode also). I'm not going to knock the guy but he still has quite a ways to mature in his photography and equipment.

Anyway this lady turns to the other officer and tell him. "OMG your pictures are totally amazing". Actually being over her a short time he has posted a tiny handful of shots vs. the 10K plus I have posted. Then the PAO officer (somewhat embarrassed at that point) points toward me and says "No THIS guy here has some amazing pictures."

The lady objects and says "Well this guy (me) you can see from a mile away". I guess she is differing to the fact that I always use a grip and a external flash my gear just looks way more pro than his. So I guess because I have better gear, it’s like an unfair contest I’m cheating.

You think about it, she is knocking me because my gear seems better.

First of all the D7000 vs. my 7D. Well the D7000 isn't a pile of dog poo. In fact I have seen way more comparisons online which claim it beats the 7D. Second, just having an external flash and dual grip bulks up the camera and makes my prosumer 7D camera appear to be a top off the line camera. The 7D is great camera but by certainly no measure is it top of the line.

Anyway I am confident in my skills and laughed it off. But I am curious to hear about other persons stories where they might have been insulted by a guest and the guest wasn't even aware they were totally insulting the photographer.

And trust me it IS the photographer that makes the shot really work because pictures can come out equally awesome or horrible on either the 7D and D7000 if you not using the best settings and composition. The external flash and the variety and quality of glass does give me a big advantage though.

Fred - Photographing everyday Military life in Iraq (external link) | SmugMug (external link)
7D | C 100-400L | Σ 70-200 2.8 OS | Σ 30 1.4 | C 10-22 | Σ 8-16 | C 17-55 2.8 IS | C 28-135 IS | 580EX II | Σ 1.4x

sponsored links
Chris
Goldmember
4,124 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 26, 2012 15:05 |  #2

composure?? ;)

Chris

70D | 24-70 2.8 | 400 5.6 | 580 EXII | 2X Yongnuo 622C |

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 26, 2012 15:11 |  #3

Just say, "Ha ha, thanks for the compliment. I put in a lot of effort to try to make the best photos I can."

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

Rstanford
201 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 26, 2012 15:13 |  #4

I think you maybe reading too much into it., I dont see an insult.

BaghdadFred
THREAD ­ STARTER
871 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 26, 2012 15:23 |  #5

nathancarter wrote in post #14635460 (external link)
Just say, "Ha ha, thanks for the compliment. I put in a lot of effort to try to make the best photos I can."

Actually she just hinted that my pictures are only good because of the bulkiness of the camera

Fred - Photographing everyday Military life in Iraq (external link) | SmugMug (external link)
7D | C 100-400L | Σ 70-200 2.8 OS | Σ 30 1.4 | C 10-22 | Σ 8-16 | C 17-55 2.8 IS | C 28-135 IS | 580EX II | Σ 1.4x

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,254 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 26, 2012 15:31 |  #6

BaghdadFred wrote in post #14635507 (external link)
Actually she just hinted that my pictures are only good because of the bulkiness of the camera

You are trying too hard to be offended. People respond to the work with the only vocabulary they have. "You must have a nice camera" means they like the results but dont grasp that its also a matter of skill.

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 26, 2012 15:41 |  #7

BaghdadFred wrote in post #14635507 (external link)

Right. So you respond with a phrase that indicates that it's not just the camera, that it takes a lot of thought, effort, and experience to make good photos.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,521 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 26, 2012 15:43 |  #8

The problem started when person A complimented person B, and an outsider to that conversation decided that a compliment of another was a slight against them.

If you say to a woman "You look beautiful tonight", it does not follow that every other woman in the room is plain by comparison. Compliments are a normal social grace, giving and accepting them are part of society.

You pushed the 'insult' by allowing the compliment of another have anything at all to do with you. It did not.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

AvailableLight
Goldmember
1,208 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jun 26, 2012 16:56 |  #9

Rstanford wrote in post #14635466 (external link)
I think you maybe reading too much into it., I don't see an insult.

Neither do I.

gonzogolf wrote in post #14635532 (external link)
You are trying too hard to be offended. People respond to the work with the only vocabulary they have. "You must have a nice camera" means they like the results but don't grasp that its also a matter of skill.

Exactly.

nathancarter wrote in post #14635566 (external link)
Right. So you respond with a phrase that indicates that it's not just the camera, that it takes a lot of thought, effort, and experience to make good photos.

Some people will learn from that response but most will just brush it off or will say "whatever" in their minds.

JeffreyG wrote in post #14635573 (external link)
The problem started when person A complimented person B, and an outsider to that conversation decided that a compliment of another was a slight against them.

If you say to a woman "You look beautiful tonight", it does not follow that every other woman in the room is plain by comparison. Compliments are a normal social grace, giving and accepting them are part of society.

You pushed the 'insult' by allowing the compliment of another have anything at all to do with you. It did not.

THIS

BaghdadFred, if you had not internalized the situation you would've been fine.

AJ
Rebel T3i (600D)
18-55 | 55-250 | 50 1.8 | 60 2.8 macro | 15-85 | 430 EXII

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,521 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 26, 2012 17:17 |  #10

The PAO was giving the usual 'Aw shucks' response to a public compliment by deflecting the compliment to you. This whole exchange shows why it's better to just accept an honest compliment, but perhaps the PAO is not comfortable with his ability at photography and so he took the self-depreciating approach.

Once he deflected the compliment to you, the graceful response at that moment is to thank the PAO and then pay him a compliment back. If the guy is just a total rookie and you just can't deliver a white lie then tell him you admire that he's working at it and you see some good potential. The key if you want to be the Admiral hosting the party some day will be to remain graceful.

Now, if the woman at this point contradicted the PAO in giving you a compliment, then understandably everyone in attendance would be mortified for her faux pas. The best thing to do is try and smooth it over by suggesting that both of you enjoy photography and then trying to steer the conversation elsewhere while the woman recovers from embarrasing herself. Getting into a pissing match over proving that you are a better photographer than a complete newbie and then arguing about the size of equipment is the opposite of graceful.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 26, 2012 17:19 |  #11

pretty touchy Fred. i don't think it's an insult. maybe you need to start shooting with a disposable camera.

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 26, 2012 17:25 |  #12

Someone's being a little bit too precious...
Don't be such a princess.

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 26, 2012 17:52 |  #13

BaghdadFred wrote in post #14635389 (external link)
Anyway this lady turns to the other officer and tell him. "OMG your pictures are totally amazing". Actually being over her a short time he has posted a tiny handful of shots vs. the 10K plus I have posted. Then the PAO officer (somewhat embarrassed at that point) points toward me and says "No THIS guy here has some amazing pictures."

The lady objects and says "Well this guy (me) you can see from a mile away". I guess she is differing to the fact that I always use a grip and a external flash my gear just looks way more pro than his. So I guess because I have better gear, it’s like an unfair contest I’m cheating.

You think about it, she is knocking me because my gear seems better.

Anyway I am confident in my skills and laughed it off. But I am curious to hear about other persons stories where they might have been insulted by a guest and the guest wasn't even aware they were totally insulting the photographer.

just accept the compliments !

NewEnglandPhotographer
Goldmember
2,343 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jun 26, 2012 18:09 |  #14

BaghdadFred wrote in post #14635389 (external link)
Actually being over her a short time he has posted a tiny handful of shots vs. the 10K plus I have posted.

not sure how quantity relates to quality in any way... Does 10k posted shots mean that you have better photos than his "handful"?

I'm just playing devil's advocate here...

Canon 7D | 70-200mm f2.8is II L | 24-70mm f2.8 L | 50mm f1.8 | 28mm f1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | 580EX II

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 26, 2012 18:11 |  #15

I can see the humor, Fred, and she certainly bumbled her approach, especially since you were standing there!

Your "laughing it off" was the best "medicine". I think some folks here aren't "getting" the fact that you are just telling a story, not expressing real offense/insult/outrage​.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

sponsored links

1,895 views & 0 likes for this thread
Insulted by acccident
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.