Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 26 Jun 2012 (Tuesday) 15:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

which 70-200 2.8

Cesium
Goldmember
1,967 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 28, 2012 11:04 |  #31

Rocky Rhode wrote in post #14644134 (external link)
Lindsay Adler - but you would not consider her a serious photographer since she uses Sigma.

Nigle Barker however, uses Sony; he obviously has no clue how to shoot serious photographs, because he doesn’t use Canon, or Nikon.

What's wrong with Sony?

sponsored links
JohnB57
Goldmember
1,507 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jun 28, 2012 11:05 |  #32

chrismarriott66 wrote in post #14644091 (external link)
Yup... I assume you are referring to the fact that my Sigma lens is in for calibration? Canon lenses aren't immune to the need for a bit of tlc every now and then either...

I like Canon lenses, I really do, but just because the OP has the money to spend on the Canon doesn't necessarily mean the other options should be immediately dismissed.

Agreed. Cheap shot but at least it didn't have far to go.

My lightly used Sigma 18-200mm died recently whilst in use by my adult daughter, who was handling it with due deference. Rather than pay for the repair, I took it apart. The main zoom cam had become detached and on inspection, the design was such that it had been screwed into the assembly with around half a turn of a minute machine screw. Poor design and manufacture and rightly or wrongly, that's the reason I won't buy Sigma again.

chrismarriott66
797 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Jun 28, 2012 11:09 |  #33

JohnB57 wrote in post #14644142 (external link)
Agreed. Cheap shot but at least it didn't have far to go.

My lightly used Sigma 18-200mm died recently whilst in use by my adult daughter, who was handling it with due deference. Rather than pay for the repair, I took it apart. The main zoom cam had become detached and on inspection, the design was such that it had been screwed into the assembly with around half a turn of a minute machine screw. Poor design and manufacture and rightly or wrongly, that's the reason I won't buy Sigma again.

Well I'm yet to have a complete horror story, but maybe one day I will suffer the same fate! The trouble with the third party lenses is that they're reverse engineered from the Canon versions... when they get it right, they're cracking, but when they get it wrong... not so much :( Mine has been there for about 2 weeks now, so I should be getting it back all shiny shiny some time next week hopefully!

Chris Marriott Photography (external link)| Facebook (external link)
Complete Gear | 1ds iii | 5d iii | 50d | EF 16-35 f2.8 L USM ii | EF 24-70 f2.8 L USM | Σ 70-200 f2.8 ii EX DG HSM | Σ 35mm f1.4 Art | EF 50mm f1.4 USM | EF 85mm f1.8 USM | EF 85mm f1.2 L USM ii | 600EX-RT | 580EX ii | 430EX ii | YN622Cs |

Tc202
Goldmember
1,942 posts
Gallery: 436 photos
Best ofs: 8
Joined Mar 2012

Jun 28, 2012 11:32 |  #34

canon

Alotech Camera Bags (external link)

Croasdail
making stuff up
7,532 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 28, 2012 19:16 |  #35

There is a huge difference between "serious" and professional photographers. I know many serious photographers that are far better than professionals. Professionals buy equipment to either last, or be easily replaced due to failure. It isn't if the gear will fail, but when. In my hay day, I would regularly shoot between 2,000 and 5,000 frames a week at multiple sporting events. Most "serious' photographers shoot many less frames.

JohnB57 - based on your comments then, how is it you justify shooting Canon. The 5D mk II initially was shipped with firmware that had banding issues. The 1D Mk III shipped with software that caused focus errors. The new 5D has also shipped with problems that Canon has acknowledged . If a company shipping a product that has problems disqualifies them from all consideration from any of their products, I am not sure how you can rationalize still buying Canon too. The fact that your consumer grade product was designed like a consumer grade lens.... I have bad news for you.... Canon has a lot of those too.

If there are those out there that think an L lens is going to make them a better photographer.... have at it. I know personally of a local wedding photographer that makes a very good living shooting nothing that would be considered professional grade gear. I am sure he would have no problems photographically smoking many so called "serious" photographers who try to buy their way into skill.

I don't really want to disrespect anyone here.... but what annoys me most is those who think somehow you can judge someones skill based on the brand lens or camera they are using. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Mark
Its by knowing and mastering all the rules that you learn which ones you can break.

jinwho81
76 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 28, 2012 19:39 |  #36

canon lens for canon camera FTW

5D Mark III, 50mm F1.2 L USM, 70-200 F2.8L II IS USM, Tamron 24-70 VC

XxDJCyberLoverxX
Goldmember
1,139 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 28, 2012 19:44 |  #37

Cesium wrote in post #14635761 (external link)
When was the last time you saw someone serious using the Sigma?

I giggled at this. People can produce stellar images with any [decent] glass.

quindecima wrote in post #14636769 (external link)
Canon hands down. You will really notice the difference at about 115mm and up.

I'd have to politely disagree. Yes, the OP said that IS isn't enough of a reason to justify the choice, but IMO, it is the deal breaker.

Having a 70-200mm without IS/OS is crippling to its versatility. I've shot with the Sigma and the Canon f/2.8 non-IS, and even though I currently own the f4 IS, I'd get the Sigma over the f/2.8 non-IS any day. There's so much you can do with a lens that has OS in that range.

IQ would almost be the same for both lenses (maybe the Sigma has slightly better IQ).

Also, faulty lenses can come from ANY manufacturer. If you buy a cheap consumer lens, you can't expect to have the same built quality has a professional grade lens like either the Canon or Sigma's 70-200.

Most of the lenses I have are 3rd party lenses. Why? Price is a big factor, but their IQ is also great and it is very comparable to their Canon L counterparts.

Daniel
Sony a7 / Sony a7s / FE 24-70mm / FE 28mm F/2 / Samyang 135mm
Nebula 4000 Lite / Manfrotto 190cx
POTN Feedback / My Work! (external link)

S.n.a.f.u.
Goldmember
2,769 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jun 28, 2012 22:05 |  #38

jinwho81 wrote in post #14646197 (external link)
canon lens for canon camera FTW

hows that tamron treating you? sorta contradicting this post huh? unless of course you have a tamron camera hiding in you bag lol.

I'm Russ. Gear List
Life is too short to drink bad wine
-ching chai
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately it kills all pupils
-Louis Hector Berlioz

jks24
85 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 28, 2012 22:21 |  #39

I just got my 70-200 2.8 IS Mk2 today, you get what you pay for. Buy the Canon and have no regrets, no third party lenses for me!

Here is what I use to take photos: 5DMark3 | 7D Gripped | 24-105mm IS f4L | Canon 50mm f1.4 |Canon 28mm f1.8 | Canon 17-55mm IS f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm IS f4L | 580EXII | 430EXII | Slik F740 Tripod | Lowepro Nova 180 AW & Lowepro Flipside 400 AW

cputeq007
570 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 28, 2012 22:34 |  #40

The trouble with the third party lenses is that they're reverse engineered from the Canon versions

No, the AF algorithms are reverse-engineered, not the entire lens (which your response kinda suggests, since you were responding to a build quality complaint). There's no need to reverse-engineer the physical design of a lens, when you can simply disassemble the lens and see how it's made ;)

Sigma has some gems, and it's too bad they have a bit of a bad reputation with some lenses. I was really close to trying out the 70-200 OS, but went with a good-priced Canon 70-200 IS MK i instead.

I did own their 70-200 HSM Macro II on Nikon D7000 and was thoroughly unimpressed.

I owned their 100-300 f/4 on a D300 and really liked it, though (extreme peeling paint and all, and even after the AF circuit board fried itself and I paid a $120 repair fee)

Flickr (external link)
I own camera stuff

S.n.a.f.u.
Goldmember
2,769 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jun 28, 2012 22:47 |  #41

cputeq007 wrote in post #14646927 (external link)
There's no need to reverse-engineer the physical design of a lens, when you can simply disassemble the lens and see how it's made ;)

its hard to tell your intent with the comment so I'm going to take it at face value taking it apart is the reverse engineering of the design.

but if you were just being funny then i see what you did there lol

I'm Russ. Gear List
-ching chai
-Louis Hector Berlioz

cputeq007
570 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 28, 2012 23:12 |  #42

S.n.a.f.u. wrote in post #14646986 (external link)
its hard to tell your intent with the comment so I'm going to take it at face value taking it apart is the reverse engineering of the design.

but if you were just being funny then i see what you did there lol

Sorry, I was not trying to be funny :D I think it depends on what "reverse engineering" connotation one has in mind.

I don't equate reverse engineering with "copying" - That is what Sigma could do to the actual, physical design of the lens (or anyone else for that matter) but I'm pretty sure they don't. Perhaps I was wrong in saying this isn't reverse-engineering, since instead of making a lens design from scratch (engineering), one could learn the basic principles of the competitor and build from there.

I had in mind the software portion of the lens - the algorithms used to talk to the focusing system of the camera. This software / algorithm Sigma doesn't have access to at all (that we know of), and must truthfully "engineer" a solution using known factors of how other Canon lenses AF on a particular body, etc.

Flickr (external link)
I own camera stuff

S.n.a.f.u.
Goldmember
2,769 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jun 28, 2012 23:20 |  #43

cputeq007 wrote in post #14647066 (external link)
Sorry, I was not trying to be funny :D I think it depends on what "reverse engineering" connotation one has in mind.

I don't equate reverse engineering with "copying" - That is what Sigma could do to the actual, physical design of the lens (or anyone else for that matter) but I'm pretty sure they don't. Perhaps I was wrong in saying this isn't reverse-engineering, since instead of making a lens design from scratch (engineering), one could learn the basic principles of the competitor and build from there.

I had in mind the software portion of the lens - the algorithms used to talk to the focusing system of the camera. This software / algorithm Sigma doesn't have access to at all (that we know of), and must truthfully "engineer" a solution using known factors of how other Canon lenses AF on a particular body, etc.

this is the basic definition of reverse-engineering

reverse engineering
noun
the reproduction of another manufacturer's product following detailed examination of its construction or composition.

taking it apart and seeing how it works is part of the reverse-engineering process even the electronics must be taken apart and run through the paces to see how it works and change it just enough to not be a copy right infringement.

I'm Russ. Gear List
-ching chai
-Louis Hector Berlioz

Perfect_10
Goldmember
1,998 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Jun 28, 2012 23:24 |  #44

Cesium wrote in post #14644138 (external link)
What's wrong with Sony?

Don't they make Playstations ;)

My Gear List  :p

S.n.a.f.u.
Goldmember
2,769 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jun 28, 2012 23:27 |  #45

Perfect_10 wrote in post #14647111 (external link)
Don't they make Playstations ;)

now that's funny :) I've never shot with a sony but i don't like EVF and that is enough to make me not want to use one (well any camera with one not just hating on sony)

I'm Russ. Gear List
-ching chai
-Louis Hector Berlioz

sponsored links

4,643 views & 0 likes for this thread
which 70-200 2.8
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.