Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 Jun 2012 (Wednesday) 15:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

SD Card slot slow on the 5dmk3?

davidc502
Goldmember
3,456 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 27, 2012 15:38 |  #1

Sorry if this has been discussed many times before, but I ran accross this article which explaines the CF slot is fast and the SD slot is slow on the 5dmk3.

Has anyone with the mk3 experienced this with SD cards?

http://www.cultofmac.c​om …&utm_campaign=s​cribol.com (external link)

_
My Gear is ---> Here

sponsored links
ELT_Photo
301 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 27, 2012 17:24 |  #2

Yup - after reading several stories, i tried it for myself. Won't be a problem for me as I only use the SD card as over-run/back-up. When I need maximum speed I use my 1DmkIV.:D

Passion - Dedication - Inspiration (and some gear)

RobDickinson
Goldmember
3,976 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 27, 2012 17:30 |  #3

Ti, who make the DIGIC processors dont offer a DSP with both fast CF and fast SD interfaces. Its this thats the real issue here.

www.HeroWorkshops.com (external link) - www.rjd.co.nz (external link) - www.zarphag.com (external link)
Gear: A7r, 6D, Irix 15mmf2.4 , canon 16-35f4L, Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5 mk2, Sigma 50mm art, 70-200f2.8L, 400L. Lee filters, iOptron IPano, Emotimo TB3, Markins, Feisol, Novoflex, Sirui. etc.

davidc502
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,456 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 27, 2012 17:37 |  #4

Wiki says that SD 133X is capable of 19.5megaBytes Read, and 19.5megaBytes of writing speed are theoretically possible. So it appears that 20 mega Bytes per second would be the maximum the buffer could be cleared in theory.

This probably isn't apples to apples, but my 5dmk2 has a 13 shot RAW buffer, and clears out in about 3.5 seconds using a 600X CF card. Each image is around 20MB, so that's 260MB/3.5(sec) = 74.X MegaBytes per second of write time. So in relation it doesn't appear that 20MB per second is very stellar. On top of that, the 5D3 has a much larger buffer, so one could potentially be waiting much longer for the buffer to clear.

It puzzles me to no end why Canon would offer dual SD, and yet manufacture a standard (not high speed) SD slot .... Head scratcher***

_
My Gear is ---> Here

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,341 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 28, 2012 00:28 |  #5

Rob Galbraith test database has results for 5DIII with fast CF card and with fast SD card.
The fastest CF = 4 * SD, 80 MB/sec vs. 20 MB/sec!

http://www.robgalbrait​h.com …i_page.asp?cid=​6007-12452 (external link)

SD memory uses serial data transfer, while CF cards use parallel data transfer. SD is the memory industry's attempt to shove slower speed for lower production cost down our collective throats!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

RobDickinson
Goldmember
3,976 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 28, 2012 00:41 |  #6

Wilt wrote in post #14642552 (external link)
SD memory uses serial data transfer, while CF cards use parallel data transfer.

This is not always a bad thing. SD's current implementation isnt good but on the whole we have moved to fast serial data transfer over parallel transfer.

IDE-> SATA, Parallel port to USB etc Most data comms is going to serial.

www.HeroWorkshops.com (external link) - www.rjd.co.nz (external link) - www.zarphag.com (external link)
Gear: A7r, 6D, Irix 15mmf2.4 , canon 16-35f4L, Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5 mk2, Sigma 50mm art, 70-200f2.8L, 400L. Lee filters, iOptron IPano, Emotimo TB3, Markins, Feisol, Novoflex, Sirui. etc.

Wilt
40,341 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 28, 2012 00:49 |  #7

RobDickinson wrote in post #14642589 (external link)
This is not always a bad thing. SD's current implementation isnt good but on the whole we have moved to fast serial data transfer over parallel transfer.

IDE-> SATA, Parallel port to USB etc Most data comms is going to serial.

But we have, at the same time, also gone to even faster CF card data transfer specification, too!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

RobDickinson
Goldmember
3,976 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 28, 2012 01:07 |  #8

But there isnt a clear way forward from CF so we have a new standard XQCD or whatever. CF is to some extent a dead end.

mritchy
Goldmember
2,089 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 28, 2012 02:07 |  #9

It's a huge pain in the a** when I'm shooting weddings. More than a couple of times a night the previews take forever to show up since it's clearing the buffer. It's very irritating to me, especially after dropping $3,500 on the darn thing. Come on, Canon. I record mRAWS to both.

Mr. Itchy
14L II, 17L TS-E, 35L, 24-70L II, 45 TS-E, 90 Macro, 50L, 85 1.8, 70-200L II, 200 f/2L

1Dx, 5D III, 6D
Weddings-Real Estate (external link)

Wilt
40,341 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 28, 2012 03:04 |  #10

RobDickinson wrote in post #14642675 (external link)
But there isnt a clear way forward from CF so we have a new standard XQCD or whatever. CF is to some extent a dead end.

A 'dead end' that changed in 2009 to support UltraDMA Mode 7 (167 Mbyte/s), and now CFast which admittedly is based on Serial ATA and as of 2011, SATA supports transfer rates up to 600 Mbyte/s.
But until I see a camera whose serial memory even is as fast as CF, I am not convinced of the death knell of CF.

narlus
Cream of the Crop
7,661 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jun 28, 2012 08:28 |  #11

mritchy wrote in post #14642786 (external link)
It's a huge pain in the a** when I'm shooting weddings. More than a couple of times a night the previews take forever to show up since it's clearing the buffer. It's very irritating to me, especially after dropping $3,500 on the darn thing. Come on, Canon. I record mRAWS to both.

I thought I read somewhere that shooting mRAW slows the camera data transfer even more?

www.tinnitus-photography.com (external link)
Facebook link (external link)

gear list

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,066 posts
Joined May 2003

Jun 28, 2012 08:58 |  #12

Very well written article at http://protogtech.com …e-performance-comparison/ (external link).

mtimber
Cream of the Crop
5,011 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 28, 2012 09:00 |  #13

mritchy wrote in post #14642786 (external link)

Why don't you shoot RAW to CF and Jpeg to SD?

That is how this seem to have been designed to my mind.

Main images to CF, backup images to SD.

"I have applied for jobs at National Geographic, Sports Illustrated and Playboy. The phone should start ringing any minute now" (Curtis N)

Wilt
40,341 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 28, 2012 10:51 |  #14

mtimber wrote in post #14643584 (external link)
Why don't you shoot RAW to CF and Jpeg to SD?

That is how this seem to have been designed to my mind.

Main images to CF, backup images to SD.

The test linked by John from PA indicates why...slower write times than storage of only RAW to CF. The listed times are to write a full buffer to memory card...

"In order of performance, times approximate, measured to highest peak on the last recorded shutter click:

1. 6.9s, Full RAW to CF card only (super fast - no surprise)
  2. 9.8s, mRAW to CF card, sRAW to SD card. (Interesting how it takes a long time to warm up, then runs pretty quick.)
  3. 13.8s, Full RAW to CF card, Large/Fine JPEG to SD card.
  4. 14.4s, Full RAW to CF card, mRAW to SD card.
  5. 18.1s, Full RAW to SD card only
  6. 18.6s, Full RAW to both CF and SD cards"

joema2
85 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jun 28, 2012 11:30 |  #15

John from PA wrote in post #14643578 (external link)
Very well written article at http://protogtech.com …e-performance-comparison/ (external link).

Article says: "Unfortunately there's a big performance difference between the SD card slot and the CF card slot. If Canon had chosen to support the UHS-I standard, we'd get roughly equal performance."

The Nikon D800 supports UHS-1 yet its raw writing speed to SD is only 60% of the rate to CF.

Also the 1DX supports dual CF cards yet slows down dramatically if writing to both. See 1DX Owner's Manual, page 120.

E.g, 1DX max raw burst size to a single UDMA-7 CF card is 38 frames. If writing separately raw + large jpg to two CF cards, it drops to 17 frames -- despite both cards being UDMA-7.

To me this indicates the 5D3's lack of support for UHS-1 SD cards is less an issue than some think.

sponsored links

3,819 views & 0 likes for this thread
SD Card slot slow on the 5dmk3?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.